SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 7 March 2018, 21:16
Confirmed User

Icarus

Available on Netflix and just won the Oscar for best documentary. Itís about Russiaís State-sponsored doping program and their cheating during the Sochi Olympics. As a cycling fan over the last 25 years, Iíve read and watched a lot about doping and how itís been done. Despite that, I was still surprised at the boldness of Russiaís program and level of involvement, to include Putin.

The documentary focuses on Grigory Rodchenkov, the director of RUSADA. Not only does he provide interviews for the filmmakers but also hard evidence, such as emails, spreadsheets, disks, etc. Since the 2014 Olympics were in Russia, the urine samples were stored in their lab. Thus, the Russians were able to swap their steroid-tainted urine with clean urine. After seeing all of this evidence, how the IOC did not ban them indefinitely is incomprehensible to me. They have proven to be spineless and corrupt. Thereís no longer any need to pretend that they care if the athletes are doping or not.

Anyway, a film that starts out being about doping ends up being about a man fleeing for his life. It was a compelling documentary and I highly recommend it.
Old 8 March 2018, 15:10
Calculating Infinity...

Thumbs up

This doco is a must see. It starts as a doco about a dude that dopes to see how he improves, cycling a grueling amateur race. It turns into an expose on state sponsered doping.
Old 8 March 2018, 16:29
Policeman Officer

So how long until Grigory has some polonium tea?
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 10 March 2018, 18:51

It's interesting watching people in this documentary piss and moan about "ethics". All I can think is what stupid rubes they are. As if something as dumb as ethics mean anything when taken into the grander scheme of what the Olympics mean re: geopolitics. People are so goddamn naive it simply astounds me sometimes.

This doc focuses on Russia (omg muh Russia!). But I can guarantee you that this stuff is done by every nation on earth to varying degrees. I don't even care any more.
Old 11 March 2018, 09:58
BTDT

I have news for you: If someone from *any* country is trying to win a Gold Medal or keep their $X Million dollar salary in a Professional Sport - there is a high 9x% chance they are using PEDs (Performance Enhancing Drugs). All this Russia stuff is political IMO. Testing is a joke, and science always outpaces it - the people who get caught are the ones who screw up with their calculator and calendar.
Old 11 March 2018, 14:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Testing is a joke, and science always outpaces it - the people who get caught are the ones who screw up with their calculator and calendar.
Pretty much what I've concluded and think at this point that WADA, USADA, RUSADA and every other anti-doping agency are useless. Athletes are able to get Therapeutic Use Exemptions so it's easy to openly dope without actually "breaking the rules."

The current superstar in cycling, Chris Froome, failed a drug test in September and is still competing. It looks like the UCI is trying to figure out how to explain it away. During his reign, Lance failed a test and was able to make it go away with a $100K donation to the UCI.
Old 11 March 2018, 15:15
Been There Done That

Why not just allow it outright? Baseball might actually be exciting again. Same for other sports too. You purists have to ruin everything.

I'm sure our Tier One units would never do it....

I'm on the T and thankful for it. I know the risks.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 11 March 2018, 15:43
Isiah 53

I agree. Stop the charade of testing and illegal doping. I want to watch a freak show. As long as the athletes are aware of the risks and have signed off on it, let them juice to their hearts content. The hypocrisy of what we have in place now for screening will vanish and we as sports fans will be entertained and our attention will be on the new opiate of the masses. Let em juice!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

ďA little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back.Ē -Francis Bacon
Old 11 March 2018, 16:10
Been There Done That

But.... there is a big money in a testing/lab infrastructure.... kind of like our war on drugs. Big money to be made!!!!
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 11 March 2018, 16:31
Isiah 53

Let the testing continue but neuter it even more by limiting their authority to only publicly posting what chemicals they found in testing an athlete without punitive penalties. This levels the playing field and increases the overall knowledge of what they should be taking to win. Juice up boys and girls or whatever!! Let the hilarity ensue. Testers make coin and the athletes are freaks of drug induced enhancement. And we are entertained. Win win win.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

ďA little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back.Ē -Francis Bacon
Old 11 March 2018, 18:16
Navigating

Quote:
I have news for you: If someone from *any* country is trying to win a Gold Medal or keep their $X Million dollar salary in a Professional Sport - there is a high 9x% chance they are using PEDs (Performance Enhancing Drugs). All this Russia stuff is political IMO. Testing is a joke, and science always outpaces it - the people who get caught are the ones who screw up with their calculator and calendar.
I couldnít agree more and I think the CrossFit games are a perfect example. Is testosterone the most commonly used form of PEDs? Seems it would be hard to detect in testing, unless they are testing the levels. From what I understand testosterone levels change from one person to another and the ďnormalĒ ranges are pretty wide (200-800). With the normal ranges being so wide spread, using it as a form of doping would be easy. Calculator and calendar screw ups, good post Polypro.

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 17 March 2018, 09:44
BTDT

First off, the "risks"of PEDs are so vastly over-blown, it's not even funny - it's typical American puritanical fear-mongering BS propaganda. Take a 1/5th of Jack Daniels, a bottle of Tylenol, and vial of Testosterone and take the whole thing - guess which one WON'T kill you, or cause any damage at all?

Second, it's even less of a worry (from almost none at all) for performance athletes, because they are not dumb-ass, brain-dead bodybuilders who use 5-10 grams a week to look like balloon animals (who do very little cardio).

Third, at least for Testosterone anyway - It's a naturally produced hormone! Yet doctors have NO problem prescribing Estrogen in the form of birth control - to 13 year old girls - more American hypocrisy.

It's become a crime in America, to be a MAN - the pussification has been in full swing for a while. Labcorp and Quest have recently LOWERED what the medical community thinks is "Normal" Testosterone levels for American males, to 264-916ng/dl - a friggen joke. Your health is at risk in the 300's, and your 20 year old son is probably at 1300.

I agree - legalize it all, or at least de-criminalize like Britain/Canada... meanwhile enjoy your healthy carton of cigarettes and gallons of Vodka with your deep fried Twinkies America...
Old 17 March 2018, 13:03
Navigating

Testosterone

Quote:
It's become a crime in America, to be a MAN - the pussification has been in full swing for a while. Labcorp and Quest have recently LOWERED what the medical community thinks is "Normal" Testosterone levels for American males, to 264-916ng/dl - a friggen joke. Your health is at risk in the 300's, and your 20 year old son is probably at 1300.
Iíll try to make this as short as possible, it relates directly to the numbers above.

I was exposed to a few small IEDs and one huge SVBIED during my first OIF deployment (2006-2007). Looking back (and knowing now), no matter how much I lifted or worked out I never saw results (muscle mass wise), I just chalked it up to not working out hard enough. After ETSing in 2013 the VA had me going to the TBI clinic, I was going to the appointments and doing their tests until about April 2017. One day the TBI lady ordered blood tests and saw my Testosterone levels were 190. I had plenty of labs done before this and no one ever said anything, but the Testosterone levels were plus or minus that 190 number every time. After that they did a cat-scan of my head and found something was wrong with my pituitary gland (I have no idea how to explain what exactly was wrong, sorry).

After they found this they had a conversation with me about how the pituitary gland does something with hormones, doctor stuff I donít understand how to explain. I am now on 100mg of Testosterone every week and I self-inject. It took about 3 months to really start to feel the difference, I havenít felt this good in years. Where I didnít want to make the time to workout because I was lazy, now I have to workout. I am finally seeing results as well. I see the Endocrinologist regularly now and he monitors my labs. I started to give blood this month, Testosterone makes you have more red blood cells and giving blood helps with that.

Anyways hope Iím not high-jacking this thread, but I wanted to give credit to Polyproís comments. My Doc has explained the same thing to me about Testosterone use.

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 17 March 2018, 16:10
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
First off, the "risks"of PEDs are so vastly over-blown, it's not even funny - it's typical American puritanical fear-mongering BS propaganda. Take a 1/5th of Jack Daniels, a bottle of Tylenol, and vial of Testosterone and take the whole thing - guess which one WON'T kill you, or cause any damage at all?

Second, it's even less of a worry (from almost none at all) for performance athletes, because they are not dumb-ass, brain-dead bodybuilders who use 5-10 grams a week to look like balloon animals (who do very little cardio).

Third, at least for Testosterone anyway - It's a naturally produced hormone! Yet doctors have NO problem prescribing Estrogen in the form of birth control - to 13 year old girls - more American hypocrisy.

I agree - legalize it all, or at least de-criminalize like Britain/Canada... meanwhile enjoy your healthy carton of cigarettes and gallons of Vodka with your deep fried Twinkies America...
Spot the mother fuck on.

Poly, I don't to derail this thread any further but I'd be interested in hearing more from you on this in the fitness section of the house. I be tired pushing my pops to go see a doctor about low T.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 18 March 2018, 07:55
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
One day the TBI lady ordered blood tests and saw my Testosterone levels were 190. I had plenty of labs done before this and no one ever said anything, but the Testosterone levels were plus or minus that 190 number every time. After that they did a cat-scan of my head and found something was wrong with my pituitary gland (I have no idea how to explain what exactly was wrong, sorry).

After they found this they had a conversation with me about how the pituitary gland does something with hormones, doctor stuff I donít understand how to explain. I am now on 100mg of Testosterone every week and I self-inject. It took about 3 months to really start to feel the difference, I havenít felt this good in years. Where I didnít want to make the time to workout because I was lazy, now I have to workout. I am finally seeing results as well. I see the Endocrinologist regularly now and he monitors my labs. I started to give blood this month, Testosterone makes you have more red blood cells and giving blood helps with that.
I have a TRT thread in the fitness section somewhere, but I didn't start it - search using my name and keywords. It's a fat loss thread started by someone. Do it, because I have some thoughts for you, but don't want to derail a movie thread more than I have.
Old 18 March 2018, 07:55
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
Spot the mother fuck on.

Poly, I don't to derail this thread any further but I'd be interested in hearing more from you on this in the fitness section of the house. I be tired pushing my pops to go see a doctor about low T.
See above ^
Old 22 May 2018, 07:38
Been There Done That

I'm a little behind on this one but that was well worth my time. Great documentary and took some fascinating turns.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot

Our new posting rules