SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 20 March 2018, 10:13
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
It's very hopefully not a vet of any sort.

It's been over a week since the second bomb. There hasn't been any mention by authorities about what type of explosive was used or anything technical revealed other than the tripwire from fishing line. I know that it's not wise to give blueprints so copycats can use the design, but there usually has been details like that in the past soon after analysis. Is a week too soon to know? The public could be on the lookout for someone purchasing certain chemicals or triggering devices? I don't know, it seems like details are slow to come out.
I'd think so. 5 bombs so far, could be 5 different and unique designs, different materials and explosives. They may have a lead they are trying to run down before broadcasting "X,y and z" component that could cause this guy to go into hiding.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 20 March 2018, 10:27
Confirmed User

Are these bombs having any kind of affect on the population in general in Austin?
Old 20 March 2018, 10:36
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
I'd think so. 5 bombs so far, could be 5 different and unique designs, different materials and explosives.
FWIW...

LE makes a statement that the bombs are in minority neighborhoods, and may be "hate crime" activity, and the next bomb hits two white dudes. LE makes a statement that the bombs were simple, and then a more complex bomb detonates. LE makes a statement that the bombs were left in locations, not delivered by a common carrier, and a bomb goes off on the conveyor at a common carrier sorting facility.

Are the the bomb designs and placement locations changing based on public statements by LE?
Old 20 March 2018, 10:50
Just A "Less Than"

Yet another example of when LE doesn't know when to keep their mouths shut concerning specific information. They are their worst enemy!
Old 20 March 2018, 10:59
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
FWIW...

LE makes a statement that the bombs are in minority neighborhoods, and may be "hate crime" activity, and the next bomb hits two white dudes. LE makes a statement that the bombs were simple, and then a more complex bomb detonates. LE makes a statement that the bombs were left in locations, not delivered by a common carrier, and a bomb goes off on the conveyor at a common carrier sorting facility.

Are the the bomb designs and placement locations changing based on public statements by LE?
Great point.... Hadn't really thought of that.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 20 March 2018, 11:04
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
Great point.... Hadn't really thought of that.
F3EAD is what I'm good at...
Old 20 March 2018, 11:21
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
Yet another example of when LE doesn't know when to keep their mouths shut concerning specific information. They are their worst enemy!
Quote:
F3EAD is a lot easier to accomplish when people use their brains, instead of their mouths.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 20 March 2018, 11:49
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
F3EAD is a lot easier to accomplish when people use their brains, instead of their mouths.
I concur as a general concept...however...in this case, had police kept their observations to themselves, the design and delivery may not have changed, and F3EAD would be more difficult.

LE has to balance public safety and the public's need to know with the conduct of the investigation.

In addition, I have spent a lot of years chasing after people who build bombs to kill other people. Just about every bomber I've dealt with is always looking to improve their designs. Even after settling on a "tried and true" design, most bombers will continue to make little adjustments as they learn. The majority of the bombers want to maximize the psychological impact of their work, and will change their tactics and equipment to do so.

If this is the work of a single bomber, it appears to be early in the bomber's "career," if you will. I would expect pretty significant changes as the bomber progresses. How short the bomber's career ends up being is dependent on the bomber more than the police. A patient and careful bomber can have a long run.
Old 20 March 2018, 12:13
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Hahaha

Old 20 March 2018, 12:49
Confirmed User

Finally got to see last night's news...a fucking IED next to a sidewalk in a neighborhood...dark outside and a nearly invisible trip wire. I'm going to go on a limb and say that hole was dug and prepared before all the previous media. While it could have been some small camoflouged bomb in the grass it literally looked like a sidewalk version of a theater IED.
Old 20 March 2018, 15:50
Confirmed User

If this person is following statements of LE, and has decent skills, is it possible Vet or Ex LE? And EOD types read or understand any materials, techniques discussed by LE that is not a civilian type of technique?
Just asking, not trying to stir the pot/.
Old 20 March 2018, 16:00
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
If this person is following statements of LE, and has decent skills, is it possible Vet or Ex LE? And EOD types read or understand any materials, techniques discussed by LE that is not a civilian type of technique?
Just asking, not trying to stir the pot/.
First, what is the difference between "asking" and trying to "stir the pot?"

Second, the world of full of shitheads that follow the statements of LE and have decent skills that don't have a military or LE background. Most serial killers certainly fit that category. I'm not even ready to stipulate that this is 1) the same suspect making all the bombs or 2) someone with skills, let alone "decent" skills. Making bombs ain't rocket science. In fact, it's really, really easy.
Old 20 March 2018, 16:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
First, what is the difference between "asking" and trying to "stir the pot?"

Second, the world of full of shitheads that follow the statements of LE and have decent skills that don't have a military or LE background. Most serial killers certainly fit that category. I'm not even ready to stipulate that this is 1) the same suspect making all the bombs or 2) someone with skills, let alone "decent" skills. Making bombs ain't rocket science. In fact, it's really, really easy.
Noted. thnx
Old 20 March 2018, 16:16
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Noted. thnx
I wasn't writing that you should shut up and go away, I was answering your questions from my POV (in case you interpreted my response in that way).

This is an online forum, exists for sharing information and dialogue, among other things. "Stirring the pot" isn't necessarily bad. In my opinion, "asking" and "stirring the pot" are often the same thing.
Old 20 March 2018, 16:34
Old Scroll

To expand on gavin's comment about bomb making being very easy, as a 14 year old I got a WWII copy of a Technical Manual regarding munitions, read it, and in pretty short order we were making tennis ball can Claymores that were wicked effective, very high-order stuff, using only a cheap weed killer and a common kitchen pantry item.

As dumb as we were as kids, we were wildly successful bombers (nobody ever got hurt, and no property was ever damaged other than our cardboard test targets and a few tiles in the Officer's club pool that somehow or other shook from a depth charge late one night)

So simple even a kid can do it.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 20 March 2018, 16:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
I wasn't writing that you should shut up and go away, I was answering your questions from my POV (in case you interpreted my response in that way).

This is an online forum, exists for sharing information and dialogue, among other things. "Stirring the pot" isn't necessarily bad. In my opinion, "asking" and "stirring the pot" are often the same thing.
I understand... I need to focus, get better etiquette.
Old 20 March 2018, 18:03
Confirmed User

Deleted. Bad information.
Old 20 March 2018, 19:17
Confirmed User

^Yes. A 6th device found, apparently unexploded and sent by same individual. So there's that going for us.
Old 20 March 2018, 20:20
Authorized Personnel

New reports coming in of a new one going off...that's up to 7?
Old 20 March 2018, 20:35
Confirmed User

Damn...Another one>> https://www.ksat.com/news/1-injured-...stin-explosion

Our new posting rules