Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 4 May 2018, 12:53
Whatever Sucks the Most

So, are there not going to be any more Marvel movies?
Old 4 May 2018, 13:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
So, are there not going to be any more Marvel movies?
Yep. Ant Man and the Wasp comes out later this year, Captain Marvel comes out next year along with the sequel to this Avengers movie. After that, it's a Spiderman sequel and Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

By the time GotG3 comes out, all of the Fox characters (X-Men; Fantastic Four and others) should be moved over to Marvel Studios...who knows what'll happen then...hopefully not superhero movie fatigue...
Old 4 May 2018, 14:30
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Clearly, Marvel has a bigger fan base than the DC franchises.
Old 4 May 2018, 14:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
That's debatable, Spinner. What they DO have is better creative talent behind the screen...
Old 4 May 2018, 15:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Marvel has had a strategy, plan, and a unifying standard. DC has only pulled that off consistently with the Dark Knight trilogy and WB has no excuse. They've owned DC comics for decades. They were complacent and comfortable for too long. It took Marvel some time to figure it out themselves. It's kind of amazing what they have been able to do without owning the rights to all of their characters.
Old 4 May 2018, 15:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
That's debatable, Spinner. What they DO have is better creative talent behind the screen...
It's not just talent, it's the corporate interference. Some Marvel stuff outside MCU has suffered from this the various Spider-Man moves come to mind.
Old 6 May 2018, 17:46
All Star Benchwarmer

I convinced my daughter to go with me yesterday as she's not an Avenger fan, but I really wanted to hang out with her for a bit. She enjoyed Thor and all the ladies.

Me, I loved the entire movie. There was so much going on, but it was amazing watching all the Marvel movies come together. Very, very good writing. I can't wait for next year.
Old 6 May 2018, 18:23

Quote:
I think the movies that Marvel makes are way better than the DC movies, although I'm sure there is a lot of crossover for fans of these types of movies.

I'm a more casual fan, I read comic books only intermittently when I was younger and really can only base my opinion not only on the movies that get shown, but how well they do at the box office.

I'm pretty sure as far as raking in the cash, Marvel wins hands down, and that generally translates into, if not a bigger group of fans, certainly a more enthusiastic group when it comes to seeing Marvel universe movies.

One critique I read of both camps said that one of the reasons Marvel does better is that they're not afraid to poke some fun at themselves, even while the fate of the universe is at stake. DC flicks tend to be more serious and brooding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Photog View Post
Marvel has had a strategy, plan, and a unifying standard. DC has only pulled that off consistently with the Dark Knight trilogy and WB has no excuse. They've owned DC comics for decades. They were complacent and comfortable for too long. It took Marvel some time to figure it out themselves. It's kind of amazing what they have been able to do without owning the rights to all of their characters.
They appear to have found a formula that works for them and the majority of their fans. I think the pivotal moment for Marvel comic movies was when Robert Downey Jr. signed on to do Iron Man. That seemed to send them into a higher orbit than DC.
Old 6 May 2018, 20:13
Authorized Personnel

Planning on going to see it when my son comes home from college for the summer.
Quote:
One critique I read of both camps said that one of the reasons Marvel does better is that they're not afraid to poke some fun at themselves, even while the fate of the universe is at stake. DC flicks tend to be more serious and brooding.
I think it's funny that Marvel finds a way to fit Stan Lee into every movie. I hope he made it into this one.

I'm annoyed that DC made Batman eligible for social security and medicare and made Flash a fanboy. Neither is correct.
Old 6 May 2018, 21:22
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
I think it's funny that Marvel finds a way to fit Stan Lee into every movie. I hope he made it into this one.
He did. My son tells me they've filmed a bunch of cameos already with him somehow, since he's so old.
Old 7 May 2018, 00:45
Confirmed User

Quote:

Hit the nail on the head...Deadpool even says it in the upcoming sequel. FWIW, I thought that Marvel was risking success when they made GotG. I mean, how successful could a movie about a walking tree and a talking raccoon be? When they pulled that off-and well, might I add-they have proven they can make anything and make it successful. Bright future ahead. It’ll be good to see the Studio’s take on the X-men. Interested to see who gets to play Wolverine...
Old 7 May 2018, 09:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Good movie.

Spolier below.

Cut off his arm, you knuckleheads.
Great stuff.

I see a few holes like that, but I never read the comics, and I'm not up on the minutia of the stones powers. Thanos withstood a giant thing being pushed/dropped on him by Ironman, I guess his arm would be hard to cut off.

However, couldn't Dr Strange just drop him through endless portholes, or use one to cut his arm off?
Old 7 May 2018, 09:59
Administrator

Quote:
Hit the nail on the head...Deadpool even says it in the upcoming sequel. FWIW, I thought that Marvel was risking success when they made GotG. I mean, how successful could a movie about a walking tree and a talking raccoon be? .
Yet the sequel was self indulgent and sucked.

People seem to be glossing over that at least half the Marvel universe movies stunk up the theaters. Both DC and Marvel has missed the mark on numerous occasions.
Old 7 May 2018, 10:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Yet the sequel was self indulgent and sucked.

People seem to be glossing over that at least half the Marvel universe movies stunk up the theaters. Both DC and Marvel has missed the mark on numerous occasions.
I'd agree with you on the Marvel side if you're talking about Dolph Lundgren's Punisher movie or that Howard the Duck movie that came out in the 80s. There were some questionable ones like the Hulk movies, Ironman 2 and the first two Thor films, but they weren't train wrecks to watch...

...last good movies DC put out was the Batman trilogy...haven't had a quality movie since.
Old 7 May 2018, 10:31
Confirmed User

Wonder Woman? ^
Old 7 May 2018, 10:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Wonder Woman? ^
Touché, Poison. That was actually good.
Old 7 May 2018, 10:57
A/1/75

So how did the one guy get inside of the Black Panthers Med lab with the force field on?

Charlie
Old 7 May 2018, 11:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Wonder Woman? ^
Justice League wasn't bad either, though I am not a big fan of Ben Afleck's Batman and the Judge Dredd version of the suit.
Old 7 May 2018, 12:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
So how did the one guy get inside of the Black Panthers Med lab with the force field on?
Thought they let a section of that field to keep the enemy in front of them...
Old 7 May 2018, 13:28

Quote:
or that Howard the Duck movie that came out in the 80s...
An underrated masterpiece.

Our new posting rules