Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Closed Thread

Old 29 March 2018, 01:11
Genetically Deplorable

The new Rosanne

Pretty much just wow! Probably the best comeback show I've ever seen. All the characters are back. A few backstories are "revealed", like what happened to Dan. There are 2 eps as of this write-up. The pilot was basically a back and forth about everything politic. Jackie turned out to be a hard-core liberal, and of course Rosanne is all things Trump! Goodman plays Dan just like before, it's her show, and he goes with the flow. Ep 2 backed off quite a bit on the direct political talk, but many current issues made their way to the table. They managed to fit in a cross-dressing grandson and make it work.

I dont think I stopped laughing through either episode.

30 minute eps.
Old 29 March 2018, 07:30
Confirmed User

I thought it was hilarious. My only complaint is there seem to be trying to cover just about every social issue there is. The new Becky still sucks.
Old 29 March 2018, 09:37
Been There Done That

Terrible. Watched it and was disgusted. So they threw in a liitkevcriss dressing boy? Begs to question who are the real life irresponsible parents if this boy? But of course , I guess the good part for me at least but will be lost on the viewing public, is how the character is lacking a father - usually why a boy acts like this.

But of course by end of show he is acceptable to the grandparents. When instead he needs some serious discipline.

Sad part is this show is an example of much of middle class America , that has just turned into white trash. And people wonder why many overseas no longer hold America as a role model.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 29 March 2018, 09:48
Authorized Personnel

I thought we still hated her for grabbing her crotch during the National Anthem...

"this show is an example of much of middle class America , that has just turned into white trash"

Pretty much. When did "Southern" mean you wore pink camo clothes and fuzzy slippers to a restaurant sitting with your man in Teva open toed sandals and cargo shorts wearing a hat that says "Fuck Work, I'm Going Fishing"? because that's not Southern, that's just fucking trash.

The wife and I watch episodes of "The Dick van Dyke Show" a few times a week - now that was a good portrayal of America, with class, standards, etc. Their kid respected them and they weren't falling all over each other to be Best Friends with a child - best part? The kid ate his dinner himself before Dad came home, and went to bed soon after so the parents could enjoy each other's company in the evening...

Now I watch my friends and their kids rule their lives, to the point that many of them eschew sleeping with their spouses so they can cuddle in bed with their children...

Anyway, ranting....but I'm still not interested because Roseanne Barr is just trash. She probably wears sweat pants and Crocs to church. She's the epitome of the "I do what I want" attitude that has destroyed this society.
Old 29 March 2018, 09:56
Bitter old man.

I'm good I want to watch fat obnoxious pigs I can go to Wal-Mart.
UDTs in resturants is a No-go?
Old 29 March 2018, 10:09
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
UDTs in resturants is a No-go?
If you can seat yourself, fine, but still take off your hat when you sit

If someone is there to seat you put on pants.
Old 29 March 2018, 10:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
I thought we still hated her for grabbing her crotch during the National Anthem...

"this show is an example of much of middle class America , that has just turned into white trash"

Pretty much. When did "Southern" mean you wore pink camo clothes and fuzzy slippers to a restaurant sitting with your man in Teva open toed sandals and cargo shorts wearing a hat that says "Fuck Work, I'm Going Fishing"? because that's not Southern, that's just fucking trash.

The wife and I watch episodes of "The Dick van Dyke Show" a few times a week - now that was a good portrayal of America, with class, standards, etc. Their kid respected them and they weren't falling all over each other to be Best Friends with a child - best part? The kid ate his dinner himself before Dad came home, and went to bed soon after so the parents could enjoy each other's company in the evening...

Now I watch my friends and their kids rule their lives, to the point that many of them eschew sleeping with their spouses so they can cuddle in bed with their children...

Anyway, ranting....but I'm still not interested because Roseanne Barr is just trash. She probably wears sweat pants and Crocs to church. She's the epitome of the "I do what I want" attitude that has destroyed this society.
Good post.

Probably why Rosanne has such high ratings. So many in America can relate. I can tell you that the show is a good example if probably 50% of the family/people in Indiana. Sigh. I watched the first two new episodes as a lesson in sociology/culture. Not anymore for sure.

Old 29 March 2018, 10:50
Been There Done That

KidA right on this one. Watch the old TV shows - Leave it to Beaver, patty duke, Donna reed, dick van dyke, my three sons, etc. compare today's shows were dads are mocked, kids are disrespectful, people dress like slobs, broken families, wife's are disrespect, all members of the family trash talking each other. Is modern TV a reflection of our society or did it shape our current society?

Old 29 March 2018, 10:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Wow, haven't heard of that, that is fucking weird!

Quote:
If someone is there to seat you put on pants.
Just because you're embarrassed the way your legs look doesn't mean those that have good legs shouldn't show them off!

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 29 March 2018, 10:52
Authorized Personnel

My wife watched the first series, it was too slapstick for me.

I watched the new (2) one, over the top stupid. I watched because of the hype.
Old 29 March 2018, 10:54
The Sagacious One

I am pretty sure Rosanne voted for Trump. We are never too old to learn.
Shakin' the bush Boss

Good god, did I aim for SOCNET and land at Hardees with the morning crew? You guys are OLD.
Confirmed User

I keep seeing reports of her saying she is trying to represent middle America, not saying that her characters are representative of some groups but I consider myself middle america and the people we know and associate with don't think its OK to wear pajamas to dinner or a plane or even WalMart. Didn't miss it when it wasn't on so will probably not miss it now that it's back. Sounds to me like she is trying to appeal to a wide cross section of viewer, hence the 'diversity' in the shows characters.

If I had to chose I'd pick watching Holmes Makes It Right reruns or Building off The Grid.
Old 29 March 2018, 11:02
Fan ar an gcosán

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
...Hardees with the morning crew
Ha. The gathering of elders at Hardee's is a universal theme indeed.
Old 29 March 2018, 11:04
Shakin' the bush Boss

Yeah, we're a bunch of old sticks in the mud. I didn't watch the old one, won't watch the new one. Crossdressing grandkids and other such silliness just doesn't interest me.
Old 29 March 2018, 11:06
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
Wow, haven't heard of that, that is fucking weird!

Just because you're embarrassed the way your legs look doesn't mean those that have good legs shouldn't show them off!
Shorts are for children and or swimming. Kids used to want to be old enough to graduate from shorts to pants.

I know lots of women who still co sleep with their kids, 3,4, 5, 6, 7 years old
Attached Images
File Type: png 63C6810A-15CB-47FA-BC68-84C0AB5CE82B.png (183.2 KB, 238 views)
Old 29 March 2018, 11:54
Been There Done That

Damn... I remember be very young knocking on parents door cause had a bad dream or scared of vampires or big foot. Dad and mom would just tell me Jesus would take care of me and get back in my own room/bed and deal with it.

And people wonder why some of these kids now in their early 20s still Are living at home with mommy.

Old 29 March 2018, 12:25
Confirmed User

KidA,
I guess since I'm not as old as you I disagree about the shorts but I agree with ya about the mom sleeping with her kid. That's just straight out retarded! Wonder if we will have enough men to fight the next big war! Guess that is also the reason we are investing so much into drones and robots!

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 29 March 2018, 12:46
Calculating Infinity...

I like the fact that it was filmed in front of a studio audience, that was the first thing that pinged my brain, as I realized that is not done much, anymore. The progressive agenda being pushed on all of us normals via a crossdressing kid didn't bother me.. let's all of us look at our extended family and circle of friends and arrgue that our people are less weird than that.
Old 30 March 2018, 00:59
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
KidA right on this one. Watch the old TV shows - Leave it to Beaver, patty duke, Donna reed, dick van dyke, my three sons, etc. compare today's shows were dads are mocked, kids are disrespectful, people dress like slobs, broken families, wife's are disrespect, all members of the family trash talking each other. Is modern TV a reflection of our society or did it shape our current society?
That's an interesting topic. I think it was, and still is, economically driven. Think about which people could afford a television when they first came out. Programming was tailored to them and their tastes. But then as the TV became more affordable, advertisers went after programming that could reach customers in the changing demographic, and programming had to shift to bring in a wider audience. Nowadays diversity and acceptance and rebellion against "traditionalism" is the thing that wins dollars from the rising generation, and we see programming following that trend.

Oh, and "the middle" is synonymous with "mediocrity." Let that sink in for a minute and then re-ask the question of whether Roseann is representative of that concept.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules