SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 22 April 2018, 16:15
Confirmed User

Operation Eagle Claw

Tuesday marks 38 years since the failed rescue attempt and the deaths of five Airmen and three Marines.

http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/a.../kampseng.html

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."
Old 22 April 2018, 17:26
Been There Done That

RIP warriors, I arrived at 1/75 soon after and heard all the AAR's

Rules of the Regt
If it makes sense....don't do it
If it tastes good.....spit it out
If you think you're going the right way........turn around
This place sucks.....let's live here
Old 22 April 2018, 20:55
Been There Done That

Colonel Beckwith was difficult, but wonderful. Mess with his daughter, and you would be found dead in the shower. He was the only one who never signed a NDA. Went on to found a company that asked to film that which wasn't to be filmed. RIP, Sir.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Blue light.pdf (160.6 KB, 158 views)
Old 23 April 2018, 17:25
giving you a number

Rest in Peace.

The greatest failure is the failure to try.
Old 23 April 2018, 18:14
Old Scroll

Got to know Bucky Burruss pretty well in 89 when I was in DLI. Now THERE's a character. He's altogether something else.

A few years later got to know Ron Czarnecki, too, by crashing his retirement party at the Smokebomb Hill NCO club in 92. He stuck around Bragg, though, as either a GS or a contractor, and I was getting his emails down in SOCOM when people would screw us up on the global.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 23 April 2018, 18:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Manges View Post
RIP warriors, I arrived at 1/75 soon after and heard all the AAR's
Yes sir...your old PSG was one of'm. God Bless those warriors, and may the fallen RIP knowing they are not, nor will they ever be forgotten.
Old 24 April 2018, 17:59
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Got to know Bucky Burruss pretty well in 89 when I was in DLI. Now THERE's a character. He's altogether something else.
Got a call one night to come into work cause someone was a bit tipsy and hit his head.
Old 24 April 2018, 18:22
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24/7 View Post
Got a call one night to come into work cause someone was a bit tipsy and hit his head.
At DLI in 89, and we were in the VFW or Legion hall next to the Presidio (can't recall which it was) and a guy was grousing about all the cherries in the bar. The guy who would wind up being my XO a year later pipes up with a shrill "well... HE'S not a CHERRY... HE was in the Ranger Battalion..."

Fuck me sideways if I didn't get bowled right outta my chair right then and there, sent sprawling on the floor, with Bucky right on toppa me, smothering my mug in kisses. He was, I guess, damn glad to meet me

I wipe my face off a bit with the back of my rooker, and ask him "OK... guess now that we've been formally introduced... what's your name?"

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 24 April 2018, 20:11
Life is simple, not easy.

I read the book "Delta Force" by Charlie Beckwith right about 2mos after 9/11.

I gobbled up at least 30 special operations/SEAL/Special Forces books within the first year afterwards, but I read this book twice.

That operation is unknown to most Americans, and explaining it to many people leaves their eyes glossed over, but I remember having found such deep respect for the tip of the spear after reading that book.

Never forgotten.
Old 25 April 2018, 18:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
I read the book "Delta Force" by Charlie Beckwith right about 2mos after 9/11.

I gobbled up at least 30 special operations/SEAL/Special Forces books within the first year afterwards, but I read this book twice.

That operation is unknown to most Americans, and explaining it to many people leaves their eyes glossed over, but I remember having found such deep respect for the tip of the spear after reading that book.

Never forgotten.
Brother,
If you haven't read it, Colonel Kyle's book is also worth your time.
https://www.amazon.com/Guts-Try-Host.../dp/B001JZ701C

He also used to be a guest lecturer at various military schools and made a tremendous presentation.
v/r
fkl
Old 21 May 2018, 09:04
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
Colonel Beckwith was difficult, but wonderful.
He makes an appearance in Ken Burns' 'Vietnam' - interviewed at Plei Mei... it's good
Old 21 May 2018, 13:19
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
Brother,
If you haven't read it, Colonel Kyle's book is also worth your time.
https://www.amazon.com/Guts-Try-Host.../dp/B001JZ701C

He also used to be a guest lecturer at various military schools and made a tremendous presentation.
v/r
fkl
Col's Kyle and Beckwith both got fucked.
The Marine LTC retired as a LtG.
Old 21 May 2018, 13:42
Administrator

I was sitting on a bench in the lobby of the Ft Benning O Club one day eating a sandwich waiting on COL Jones. We were at a reception for the Post Commander's Change of Command (Cavazos I think). Sitting out there alone and a guy in a suit walks up and sits down on the bench next to me. He noticed the beret sticking out of my cargo pocket and asked me how I liked the Rangers. We had about a 20 min conversation about life in the Regiment before COL Jones walks out, comes over and says "Well, I see you have met Charlie Beckwith". I about choked on my ham sandwich.

During the whole conversation, I never had a clue who I was talking to. It always struck me that with all of those General Officer's inside that O Club that day, he would rather sit outside and talk to a young enlisted guy like me. That was the only time I ever met the man but he made a lasting impression.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 21 May 2018, 14:26
Calculating Infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I was sitting on a bench in the lobby of the Ft Benning O Club one day eating a sandwich waiting on COL Jones. We were at a reception for the Post Commander's Change of Command (Cavazos I think). Sitting out there alone and a guy in a suit walks up and sits down on the bench next to me. He noticed the beret sticking out of my cargo pocket and asked me how I liked the Rangers. We had about a 20 min conversation about life in the Regiment before COL Jones walks out, comes over and says "Well, I see you have met Charlie Beckwith". I about choked on my ham sandwich.

During the whole conversation, I never had a clue who I was talking to. It always struck me that with all of those General Officer's inside that O Club that day, he would rather sit outside and talk to a young enlisted guy like me. That was the only time I ever met the man but he made a lasting impression.
That is an awesome story. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 21 May 2018, 14:53
Administrator

Quote:

I wonder if he did that today if the young stud he would be talking to would even know who he was.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 21 May 2018, 15:21
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I wonder if he did that today if the young stud he would be talking to would even know who he was.
A few would, most wouldn't.

COL Beckwith has been dead for a quarter century. Think of when you were a young man, and then ask yourself how many of your peers would be aware of military visionaries that had been dead for 25 years at that point, especially ones that never made GO.
Old 21 May 2018, 15:30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Think of when you were a young man, and then ask yourself how many of your peers would be aware of military visionaries that had been dead for 25 years at that point, especially ones that never made GO.
Yeah, when you put it that way....

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 21 May 2018, 15:41
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Yeah, when you put it that way....
As I have gotten older, I sometimes think about the passage of time as relates to important events, and my perception of those events.

I joined the Army 15 years after we pulled out of Vietnam. In my mind at that time, the Vietnam War was "history," the war of my parent's generation.

15 years ago I was a SFC just back from my first tour in AF. Seems like yesterday.

When I was born, WW2 had been over for 25 years. Ancient history. Twenty five years ago, I was a brand-new buck sergeant. That doesn't feel like ancient history to me.

I hope we never forget how we got here, and Eagle Claw is a big part of our SOF history. But, I suspect it will become "ancient history" soon enough, and we'll have to re-learn those lessons, again. And again.
Old 21 May 2018, 15:44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
As I have gotten older, I sometimes think about the passage of time as relates to important events, and my perception of those events.

I joined the Army 15 years after we pulled out of Vietnam. In my mind at that time, the Vietnam War was "history," the war of my parent's generation.

15 years ago I was a SFC just back from my first tour in AF. Seems like yesterday.

When I was born, WW2 had been over for 25 years. Ancient history. Twenty five years ago, I was a brand-new buck sergeant. That doesn't feel like ancient history to me.

Same here. Had those thoughts many times.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 21 May 2018, 16:19
In Vino Veritas

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby2/6 View Post
That is an awesome story. Thanks for sharing that.
X2. That’s pretty badass.

Our new posting rules