SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 25 April 2018, 23:14
Confirmed User

Body Maintenance

After reading the Lance Armstrong thread and in particular the posts about folks using PED's for muscle/ligament injury prevention I was curious to see what advice Polypro might have in regards to maintaining oneself and he suggested I just start a thread.

I'm still young but would like to take some steps to keep up my physical longevity. All of the folks who are over 50 I work around have had at least one knee replacement if not both. I have to say I'm more interested in over the counter stuff or stretching recovery type stuff than PED's.

I use lacrosse balls and a foam roller to roll out trouble spots that come up but I'm trying to come up with a long term preventative maintenance routine (not just for my knees) to hopefully stave off me joining the fake knee club. I think one of the things working against me is I wear caulk boots pretty much 300 days a year in the woods, and those things don't give, you do.

So if any of you guys who made a career out of destroying your body have any advice I'm all ears.
Old 26 April 2018, 06:14
Confirmed User

My "career": 30+ years of endurance sports (marathons, tri's etc), as well as stupid Army stuff like running in boots with a ruck that was 60% of my body weight. Suggestions: anti-inflammatory diet (low sugar/low carb/ketogenic); fish oil, tumeric, glucosamine/chondroitin (sulfate), cycling, swimming, core workouts
Old 26 April 2018, 07:12
Confirmed User

Thanks. The fish oil and glucosamine are at the top of the list so far.
Old 26 April 2018, 07:52
BTDT

It's the stuff everyone knows, but nobody listens to because it's "too simple". People want the "secret" without having to work for it. Well, there ain't one.

Stop drinking, if you do.
Stop smoking, if you do.
Get GOOD sleep every single night.
Eat a diet consisting of minimally processed food (bags/boxes) with a crap ton of the "Rainbow" fruits/vegetables.
Monitor energy intake specific to your goal (loss/maintain/gain).
Do Cardio.
Lift heavy weight.

Edit: PEDs don't help tendons or ligaments (no or very little Androgen Receptors). That's actually one of the dangers - Muscles outperform the attachments. Slow progressive overload with proper technique allows the T&L's to "catch up". The peptide BPC-157 can help with T&L injuries however.

Sleep - No Blue light 3 hours before bed. $20 on Amazon will get you a pair of Cygex glasses that will block Blue Light. Put them on a few hours before bed.

That will get you to 99% of your goal. There is no magic, there are no tricks.

As far as the details go, another thread has the info for calculating how much, and what ratios you should be eating.

Stay away from "fads" like keto (not proven to be be better unless you have a brain injury or some cancers).

Obviously if you follow #4 above, you won't have room for a lot of sugar, but sugar isn't evil either - there are no bad foods. Fit people can get away with things diseased people can not - so as long as you are hitting your macros/kcal limit, you can have ice cream or a Twinkie every day if you want. Note: I didn't say a BOX of Twinkies... The trouble comes when you eat like shit, and your entire day is spent eating processed flour and Omega-6 fats (think snack chips) - you *will* feel low grade systemic inflammation. Poison is in the dose - 1 Tylenol won't destroy your liver, but the bottle will.

Joint worries:

I say phuck the rancid Omega-3 Fish Oil caps, and just buy cans of Salmon from Starkist. Stuff is canned right at the dock in Alaska - none fresher. I eat 2 cans per week and it's 80g of high quality protein per can to boot.

When you train, take in 20g of Gelatine with 250mg Vitamin C

You can go broke buying "Joint supplements" - there are literally 50 or more that are purported to work - most are BS. Costco has affordable Glucosamine/MSM, but that's a s far as I would go. Others are Chondroitin, Hylauraonic Acid, Bromelain, Cissus Quadrangularis, etc...

Oh, Blueberries are god - eat those. Sam's Club has 4lb bags. Curcumin - another one actually proven to work (rare with supplements). Unfortunately, it has horrible bio-availability, so you need to buy either Longvida or Theracumin patented formulations - which are more $. That's it for now.

Last edited by Polypro; 26 April 2018 at 07:59.
Old 26 April 2018, 08:09
Administrator

I disagree with stop drinking. Unless you're getting blown back all the time, the evidence shows some drinking is not harmful and in some cases beneficial.

I also disagree on PED's. There is very little harm in using them in the proper doses. The ligament thing is only a danger if you are abusing PED's to induce rapid beyond standard weight gain or strength increases.
Old 26 April 2018, 18:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
I disagree with stop drinking. Unless you're getting blown back all the time, the evidence shows some drinking is not harmful and in some cases beneficial.

I also disagree on PED's. There is very little harm in using them in the proper doses. The ligament thing is only a danger if you are abusing PED's to induce rapid beyond standard weight gain or strength increases.
I wasn't aware there was another reason to use them?
Old 26 April 2018, 18:35
Administrator

Recovery is the major reason to use them.

The whole PED issue is overblown hysteria IMO. I think the same thing about HGH. I also get a laugh out of those who talk about over training, CNS burnout, etc...as if it's a thing the average person will ever really have to worry about.

The reality is people overthink and look for excuses not to progress or change. "genetics" is another excuse.

Hard, consistent work on a variety of modalities will bring progress. It's usually the lack of consistency coupled with effort that results in people looking the same year after year.

It doesn't matter what you pick, everything can work. Obviously there's a good, better, best progression, but baseline is consistency and hardwork

Generally men need to focus on these 4 characteristics for body maintenance-
Body comp
Mobility
Strength
Cardiovascular

Woman on these 4-
Body comp
Stability
Strength
Cardiovascular

Strength isn't becoming a powerlifter or hitting heavy weights all the time either. It also doesn't include focusing on the "magic" (lol) lifts either. Squats are great, but not for everyone. Bench is great, but not for everyone. Etc..

I also thing steroids and HGH should be legal, but that's another discussion for another day.

Rant off.
Old 26 April 2018, 19:15
Confirmed User

I had to quit running a couple months before 39 from knee pain and didn't do much cardio the next few years. By my 40s I was having joint pain in my knees ankles, back and neck, quit weightlifting when the elbows started hurting. I got up to 250 lbs. At 48 I started walking and bicycling regularly and doing yoga because they had free classes at the work activity center 3 days a week at lunchtime. After a couple of months everything started to feel better. I don't know if it is all the stretching relieving tension on the joints or what but it works better than anything else I've tried at making me feel better physically. I started cutting way back on carbs in my diet and the weight came off. At 54 I bicycle 6 miles to work each way most days and do yoga daily. My back and knees rarely hurt as long as I avoid impact, and I maintain my weight right around 175. I give the yoga a lot of credit as I think it makes me feel well enough to be a lot more active in general.
Old 26 April 2018, 20:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Recovery is the major reason to use them.

The whole PED issue is overblown hysteria IMO. I think the same thing about HGH. I also get a laugh out of those who talk about over training, CNS burnout, etc...as if it's a thing the average person will ever really have to worry about.

The reality is people overthink and look for excuses not to progress or change. "genetics" is another excuse.

Hard, consistent work on a variety of modalities will bring progress. It's usually the lack of consistency coupled with effort that results in people looking the same year after year.

It doesn't matter what you pick, everything can work. Obviously there's a good, better, best progression, but baseline is consistency and hardwork

Body comp
Mobility
Strength
Cardiovascular

Woman on these 4-
Body comp
Stability
Strength
Cardiovascular

Strength isn't becoming a powerlifter or hitting heavy weights all the time either. It also doesn't include focusing on the "magic" (lol) lifts either. Squats are great, but not for everyone. Bench is great, but not for everyone. Etc..

I also thing steroids and HGH should be legal, but that's another discussion for another day.

Rant off.
I was joking with that comment, but I do agree on all counts.
Old 26 April 2018, 23:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
It's the stuff everyone knows, but nobody listens to because it's "too simple". People want the "secret" without having to work for it. Well, there ain't one.

Stop smoking, if you do.
Eat a diet consisting of minimally processed food (bags/boxes) with a crap ton of the "Rainbow" fruits/vegetables.
Do Cardio.
Lift heavy weight.
I quit drinking entirely several months ago. Didn't have a very good on off switch. I don't smoke and quit Cope too.

We pretty much only eat wild game in our house with the exception of some pork we buy (soon to be phased out for the pigs I'm raising). My vegetable intake is pretty weak though but hoping to change that this year with my garden.

Since I quit drinking the quality of my sleep has improved vastly. That will probably all change when the daughter is born in Aug.

I'm not sure I have training goal. I get a ton of cardio (5-12 miles/day of hiking in the Northern Rockies with 25-35lbs of stuff). I'm sure some strength training would be beneficial. I don't have an Olympic set anymore so heavy weight is going to be tough to move but I have some dumbbells, kettlebell, and chinup bar.

I'm 6'4" and about 205 lbs.

Quote:
on a variety of modalities will bring progress. It's usually the lack of consistency coupled with effort that results in people looking the same year after year.

Body comp
Mobility
Strength
Cardiovascular
By body comp do you mean fat to muscle ratio? I think in the past I have seen a link you posted about mobility work outs but can't seem to find it. Might have been someone else too.
Old 27 April 2018, 09:56
BTDT

Quote:

Agree occasional isn't harmful, but just looked at recent meta-analysis' on all cause mortality and couldn't find where drinking was *better* than not drinking. All the stuff various alcohols are made from can be consumed as is (grapes, potatoes, grains) for all the nutients/phyto-chemicals - so we're left with Ethanol being "healthy".

PubChem https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/com...ol#section=Top

I'm very Pro PED, so also agree that
Quote:
There is very little harm in using them in the proper doses.
- but one should not have the main goal of ligament/tendon protection/repair as the primary use. There is some bro-science that Deca (Nandrolone) helps "joints", but I didn't deep dive on PubMed, so grain of salt needed. The only reason I even brought that up was the original
Quote:
PED's for...ligament injury prevention

Last edited by Polypro; 27 April 2018 at 11:17.
Old 27 April 2018, 12:00
Administrator

Plenty of studies that indicate alcohol can be beneficial. Drink or don't drink,but to say giving up drinking is a key to fitness and health, is wrong IMO, unless you abuse it.
Old 27 April 2018, 12:13
Administrator

Quote:
By body comp do you mean fat to muscle ratio? I think in the past I have seen a link you posted about mobility work outs but can't seem to find it. Might have been someone else too
Yes.

I use the look good naked scale.

As to mobility. I don't believe in mobility "workouts." I believe in mobility as part of your overall plan (if male. Ladies usually have the opposite issue- stability). Nothing worse that watching someone roll around on a foam roller for 30-45 mins or stretching before a workout and then do a training session a 9 year old wouldn't benefit from.

Older dudes generally are well served starting most workouts with lighter type exercises instead of their main lift as well, especially focusing on the upper back.

We live in world where everything is done in front of you and then dudes spend workout after workout trying to get stronger on the bench and overhead press. No wonder so many are jacked up. I'd also recommended at least a few days a week all exercise be done out side. Take a KB and weight vest to the park and get it on for a couple hours, swing, sprint, bear crawl, pushup, jumps etc.. or take a hike and finish with a pyramid of PU and pull up, then KB swings. Not only will you body enjoy the challenge and variety, so will your mind.

A few resources I believe in:
http://bit.ly/2b0coMW
http://instagram.com/athleanx
Jeff is great.

https://www.defrancostraining.com/category/podcast/

Joe Defranco has been my go to guy for a decade. His work speaks for itself and many may be able to relate to what he did to turn Triple H's damaged frame around.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4B...4CnenW61nm_HOQ
SmashweRX for all mobility issues.
Old 27 April 2018, 12:13
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post

Stop smoking, if you do.
Do Cardio.
Lift heavy weight.

I read a book by a guy named John Gabriel who was an over stressed over eating (405 lbs) bond trader that did the above and professed to eat food as close to having been alive as possible. Like, wait until the salad is being served to pick the lettuce fresh. He also discussed the value of naturally acquiring nutrition via food and the sun. Meditation as well. BLUF he lost 225 lbs by just rectifying his bad living. Now he makes millions selling it to others, of course. His position was (and it makes sense) is that with processed foods, you eat the calorie, but your body still craves the nutrition, ergo the desire to keep eating.

He said his definition of insanity is Taking fresh food, paying someone to strip the nutrients out, buying the food, eating it and then paying them for the nutrients in a pill that you should have gotten with the food.
Old 27 April 2018, 12:28
Confirmed User

That Smashwerx link was what I was thinking of. Thanks!
Old 27 April 2018, 17:38
Confirmed User

Great thread.

Nutrition. As you get past your mid-30s what you eat will have a direct impact on your overall health. I know some guys that go crazy in the gym but eat nothing but junk. And they wonder why they don't improve or "look better naked" using SB's line on body comp.

Good proteins and fats are the foundation. Pastured beef, wild fish are the majority of my meats. Lot of eggs. And avocados and nuts almost every day for me. I also love greek yogurt.

Don't cook with olive oil - use pastured butter, coconut or palm oil. Olive oil raw is awesome.

Lots of veggies and fruits. Broccoli, zucchini, tomatoes, kale, spinach, garlic, carrots, peas are the majority of my veggie diet. Bananas, berries and grapefruit on the fruit side.

I don't supplement for omega-3s or -6s. Current research indicates most folks mess up this delicate ratio by supplementation, and actually put themselves into an inflammatory and/or autoimmune state by doing so. I get my omegas from diet only - fish, nuts, avocados, etc. And as Polypro said - most fish oil supplements are crap anyhow. Also, if you eat a lot of processed foods or foods high in vegetable/seed oil, you are likely getting far more omega6 than your body needs. This is one thing that will lead to that unbalanced condition.

Small amounts of complex carbs and starches. For me, that's usually in the form of non-white rices. Sometimes potatoes. And beans - I love beans.

Yes, I have a couple beers a couple times a week. Not giving up my beer :)

And, of course, lots of Turkish Get-Ups with kettlebells. Because me, TFG and Silverbullet know it is the best exercise ever created.
Old 27 April 2018, 19:09
Administrator

Haha.
I'm the not the TGU worshiper. TFG and few others are though.
Old 27 April 2018, 20:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Haha.
I'm the not the TGU worshiper. TFG and few others are though.
Guilty as charged...
Old 28 April 2018, 09:50
Confirmed User

Those Smashwerx vids look encouraging. My shoulders are a damn mess, so much so that over head pressing and bench pressing are out of the question for the last couple of months now. "Band pull aparts" have helped some, but hasnt completed restored the ability to press heavy again, yet.
Old 28 April 2018, 14:38
Administrator

Smashwerx is great.

Some other resources on shoulder health are Mind Pumps 4 part series

https://youtu.be/HxhQUJG_tsE

and DeFranco stuff
https://www.defrancostraining.com/up...ncrease-power/

His podcast on how he helped fix triple h's shoulders is really informative too

Our new posting rules