SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Welcome To SOCNET > Introduce Yourself With Your First Post Here

Old 27 December 2014, 12:33
Valhalla July 4, 2016 RIP Frogman

Honey
It is high risk to come onto this Website with the caveat that "I am not hot". We think that is BS.

Welcome, sweets.

Cass
Old 27 December 2014, 15:14
Not Dead? Don't Quit!

Cass, you'll forever have a rock star status with me.. Seriously sir. I'm laughing my ass off right now!
Thereís a difference between interest and commitment. When youíre interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstances permit. When youíre committed to something, you accept no excuses...only results
Old 28 December 2014, 02:12

Guys call me "Boats" ....

I am the Membership Coordinator for the Combatant Craft Crewman Association (CCCA).

My units include the Following:

USS Monticello (LSD-35), San Diego, CA
Special Boat Unit - 13, San Diego, CA
Special Boat Unit - XI, Mare Island, CA
USS Fox (CG-33), NRC Santa Barbara, CA

My specialties & qualifications include the following:

Assault Boat Coxswain (LCVP/LCM-6/LCM-8/Salvage)
Landing Signalman Enlisted (LSE)
USCG Coastal Piloting
PB MkIII Navigator/Crewman
Navy Instructor
Old 28 December 2014, 12:56
Been There Done That

Hey Boats welcome. Bob.

Fair Winds and Following Seas SOTB & Cass
Old 28 December 2014, 13:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey View Post
Hello,
Thank you for allowing me in your house.
I have no military experience. I work for an airline, my job is dealing with the pilots.
Welcome and thanks for taking care of a veteran (WAC). What initially drew you here? Interest in military history, special operations, and equipment?
Old 28 December 2014, 17:15

Intro

My name is Nathan, I am ETSing from active Army this summer. I spent four years in 1-27 IN at Schofield Barracks HI as an 11B. I would like to continue working in the security industry and I appreciate the wisdom and experiences shared on this forum.
Old 28 December 2014, 19:58

NC/SC, I'am here to read, learn and keep up with current events. Thank you for allowing me in your house.
Old 30 December 2014, 08:14
Been There Done That

Ma'am,

Thank you from all of us for taking care of that member of the Greatest Generation. She is blessed to have you in her life.

I sincerely hope you enjoy our site.

FWIW, most of us aren't hot either...

Welcome!

RGR.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey View Post
Hello,
Thank you for allowing me in your house.
I have no military experience. I work for an airline, my job is dealing with the pilots.
I have enjoyed being a fly on the wall here, listening to the bad asses talk.
The best thing I can say for myself is that I am blessed to be the primary caregiver for a beautiful 93 year old former WAAC/WAC who is still able to live in her own house.
In order to avoid any hopes being raised, I will go ahead and say I am not hot. I used to be, but time and tide etc...
I am somewhat of a hermit, with no experience or interest in social media, groups, listservs or whatever the correct terms are. So this is very bizarre for me and I hope I do things correctly.
I have the deepest respect for all those who have served and sacrificed for the rest of us and regret that I turned out to be a slacker.
Thank you all for everything you have done and continue to do to keep us safe.
Old 30 December 2014, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCOM View Post
Welcome and thanks for taking care of a veteran (WAC). What initially drew you here? Interest in military history, special operations, and equipment?
PM was sent to SATCOM.
Old 6 January 2015, 14:53

Post Your Introduction In THIS Thread

My first thought at introducing myself made me think of how you all felt trying to convey in a few words... who you are & why you're interested in SOCNET.
I am very proud to say my family is steeped with Military service. I married a former Marine (though he says 'once a marine, always a marine!) I have 9 uncles & great uncles plus a step dad who survived VietNam, son- US Army, a cousin-retired Navy, SonIL- retired Marine-tours in Afghanistan. Also a Father-in-law that survived D-day...loved his stories.. as only a Vet from the Great Generation can tell!

I am the only female veteran in the family, US Army (MP). I was on a lifer career path & chosen for MPI when I met the father of my children & changed my life's course.
I have always been interested in SO and our skilled groups of men & women who make it happen!
I became even more invested and interested in this site after doing research on my Great uncle who served in the Green Berets in VietNam and later 'died' as a MSG in Okinawa in an apparent 1986 "training" accident? Way too many things didn't add up when I began asking questions. They appeased the family with "these things happen" but I am not convinced that a SO Master Sergeant "walked into live fire from a trainee?" so I became furious & curious at the same time. I am still seeking answers that I may never find but I feel compelled in my search.

I find a lot of great insight & resources from talking to military networks & vets. My hope is that I may contribute in some way too. Thanks for your site and especially for your service.
Old 6 January 2015, 22:42

My name is Calvin Fenner. I was a member of A company 75th Rangers from July 1969 to April of 1971. I left Viet Nam where I was an E4 medic with the 173rd Airborne (1968-1969), 3/319th and 4th Bn., and was headed to Ft. Benning. Because I had combat experience, they asked me and several others if we wanted to "volunteer" to do the rest of our time with A/75th. I joined them at Ft. Benning and stayed there till January 1970 when the company relocated to Ft. Hood. We were going there to act as aggressors and conduct testing on sensing devices. It was called Project Masters. We jumped almost monthly out of almost every aircraft the AF and Army had, including the single engine Beavers. It was one of the proudest portions of my life, serving with such a distinguished unit.

To make a long story short, I went back into the Army thru the Guard and Reserve. Went thru OCS and got out as a Senior Captain in Armor. I had began SF training with the 20th SFG, but my law enforcement career was just beginning and the city I worked for was not supportive of me being gone to Bragg for 4 months. I had to give up 14 years of service.

I don't know how to post the A75th Company photos that I have on a .pdf. I also have the company roster from the move from Benning to Hood. If anyone is interested, let me know.
Old 7 January 2015, 07:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Fenner View Post
post goes here
Welcome home Doc and welcome to SOCNET.
Old 8 January 2015, 18:19

Dear SOCNET Community:

I am a civilian. I have no military experience.

I am a law student, here to read and learn as much as I can. I do not intend to post much, if I post at all.

I found SOCNET while researching some physical training topics. The chain went from Training for the New Alpinism (by Steve House and Scott Johnston) to Gym Jones, to Crossfit, to SEALFIT, which seemed to address the concerns from the Gym Jones people and the New Alpinism people about the long-term benefits for endurance athletes of high-intensity, low-volume training like Crossfit. I was doing some follow-up research on SEALFIT when I came across SOCNET.

It quickly became apparent there is a lot of high-quality information here, so Iíve been lurking and reading. Iím somewhat astonished that the forum is open to the public, but Iím grateful for having access to the perspectives here. Since my time lurking began, I have read a few books mentioned here or prompted by threads here (The Mission, The Men, and Me, by Mr. Blaber; Delta Force, by Mr. Beckwith; and A. Lincoln, by Mr. White--as of now only about half-way through this last one). These books have significantly improved my (very limited) understanding of military and foreign policy issues (and the interaction between military/foreign-policy/political issues), so I am grateful for the references.

Thank you to everyone hereófor your service and for making your contributions to this site available to the public.

Sincerely,

civtoread
Old 9 January 2015, 14:06

Hello SOCNET

Introducing myself - former USAF Medic, '76 - '82.
Came across website while looking for someone and decided to join. Located in DC Metro area.
Old 9 January 2015, 14:21

Ha! Grand kids call me Papa Pizza. Just decided to run with it.
Old 9 January 2015, 14:58

Afternoon

Good afternoon,glad to be on here. Fmf Corpsman 8 yrs. Went infantry, to fast co, to Jsoc then finished with Eod. Critical care flight medic now running helo ops.
Old 9 January 2015, 16:31

Greetings, folks. I have no military experience, but have great respect and gratitude for those who serve and put themselves at risk for the common good. As Lt. Col. Dave Grossman wrote, waaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhrbllllllllllllll."

My nephew joined the Marines out of high school and was KIA in April 2004 outside of Fallujah. At his memorial and funeral was my first close exposure to military persons, and I must say that had I been a young man, those Marines would have inspired me to join! Since that time, I have met some very fine soldiers, including a few SF and LE guys who I count as friends.

I have loved weapons of any kind and learning to use them from as early as I can remember - knives, axes, BB guns, bow and arrow, spears, shotguns, rifles and handguns. I am now in my early 50's and shoot and train as much as possible. I participate in 3-gun and other competitive shooting sports and try pass on these skills to my four kids, along with a mindset of awareness and preparedness.

My educational background is in mathematics and I have a special interest in macro-economics, geopolitics and the passions and forces that drive humanity, which I guess is what brought me here.

I look forward to participating in your community.

MOD EDIT- red bold is mine- we don't hold him in respect of ANY kind

Welcome to SOCnet...

Last edited by RGR.Montcalm; 9 January 2015 at 22:09.
Old 9 January 2015, 16:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebreath View Post
As Lt. Col. Dave Grossman wrote, "[insert some general BS and a Pulitzer Claim here]"
Grossman isn't worshipped here where many members have actually done deeds that he claims experise in but has never done. I recently came across an article that says Grossman also lied about being nominated for a Pulitzer prize:

https://thetruthaboutsocnetlies.word...prize-nominee/

Welcome to SOCNET.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 9 January 2015, 17:30
On the Extract Bird

Hello all, I signed up before, but never posted as I spend most of my time reading what the hero's are writing. I appreciate being able to join the site and have a great amount of respect for you all. I won't be a big poster, as I am here to read and learn. Might chime in here and there if that is ok.

I especially enjoy reading the Law Enforcement misconduct page. I am glad I am not the only one who see's the destruction of our Constitution and abuse of authority. When people like you here are seeing it --- it is a real problem.

A little about me, I am 37 and live in Chesterfield SC. I moved down from NH, and was a Masshole prior. I work as a paramedic, and will be moving to NC shortly as I accepted a tentative offer at Fort Bragg.

I was a 68W, and worked contracts o/s for a while and did some offshore work. I miss the hell out of it, but figure I am not getting any younger and working at Womack will probably be a sweet gig until I can retire. I can't ask for a better group of people to be caring for, so I am excited.

Not really much to tell, my off time consists of MC life, fishing, and broads. Slowly building up my homestead and enjoying life in the South.

Again I appreciate you allowing me to be a part of socnet. I also appreciate the sacrifices that most of you have made to protect liberty.

ML&R
Old 9 January 2015, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
Grossman isn't worshipped here where many members have actually done deeds that he claims experise in but has never done. I recently came across an article that says Grossman also lied about being nominated for a Pulitzer prize:

https://thetruthaboutsocnetlies.word...prize-nominee/

Welcome to SOCNET.
Thanks!

Interesting info. I've never worshiped the man, but I like the quote.

Our new posting rules