Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 11 June 2008, 16:26

Thanks, I appreciate it, I was referring to the pre WOD interview, I hate cameras. I have filmed instructional videos for Valhalla and it is the weirdest thing. Sort of like a comedian who has bombed... you get no feed back until you see it and Viola... tool.
as far as the workout went, yeah, those guys are amazing, I can't believe Dutch was able to turn that rope that fast...
Old 11 June 2008, 17:13
These ain't my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncasey4 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate it, I was referring to the pre WOD interview, I hate cameras. I have filmed instructional videos for Valhalla and it is the weirdest thing. Sort of like a comedian who has bombed... you get no feed back until you see it and Viola... tool.
as far as the workout went, yeah, those guys are amazing, I can't believe Dutch was able to turn that rope that fast...
Was that you on the right in that video? Are you planning on competing at the CF Games?

“It is who we are; It is what we do; And we're okay with that.”- LE Funeral Closing Remark
Old 11 June 2008, 18:53

Yeah that was me on the right. I will be running some of the events at the games and so won't be able to compete. I have also had a busy year, full of injuries and multiple jobs that haven't allowed me to train like I would have liked. The bottom line is that I am not anywhere near where I feel I need to be to compete. Mainly because what is the point of competing if you can't win. And if you have looked at the CrossFit Games website, you will see that the competition requires you to be at the tip top of your game... That guy Matt, wow. 2:09 Fran, 345 Clean, 532 Dead, and he can run a 5 minute mile... I need to be a lot more focused. I am hoping to compete next year, that will really be based on what happens with Valhalla (Shooting Club in Montrose Co.).
Old 17 June 2008, 14:10
These ain't my pants.

Fran-

21 95lbs Thrusters
21 Chins
15 95lbs Thrusters
15 Chins
9 95lbs Thrusters
9 Chins

For time

Time- 3:40 (53 second PR)

100 GHR Situps
100 Back Extensions

For time

Time- 10:02

“It is who we are; It is what we do; And we're okay with that.”- LE Funeral Closing Remark
Old 17 June 2008, 17:06

I would love to do crossfit. Anyone got any sites with info on it?
Old 17 June 2008, 17:53
Fitness Mod

Try Crossfit.com.
Old 23 June 2008, 11:09
Authorized Personnel

If just starting out, click on the "getting started" tab at the CF home page and go to Brand X for some scaled CF WODs. OTOH, if you're a Big Dog, go straight as Rx'd.
Old 23 June 2008, 13:31
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
OTOH, if you're a Big Dog
....come on now.....you're going to get someone hurt talking like that. :D
Old 23 June 2008, 15:49
Authorized Personnel

Well, dude, at age 48, I figure most men know their limitations. I know I do.

Oddly enough, I can do some WODs, like "Michael" as rx'd, some as a porch or pack dog. I did April Pain from the CF New England site and the KB weight I did had me as a "pup". Shoot, if that was a "pup", I'd be in rhadbo by the 3d round if I went as a pack, even.

Different movements, different strengths.
Old 23 June 2008, 16:09
Authorized Personnel

that's just it....

...granted I'm only 29, and somewhat conservative when going for new shit. but a lot of this looks deceptively simple on the computer screen.

Evil, Evil Coach. Musthave slipped something into the kool-aid for fuck with my perceptions. :D
Old 23 June 2008, 16:49
Authorized Personnel

did a WOD from the CF New England site called "April Pain". I was looking for KB-intensive WODs and they have a lot.

7 rounds for time:

Front Squat 14 12 10 8 6 4 2
Push Press 14 12 10 8 6 4 2
Thruster 14 12 10 8 6 4 2
Box Jump 2 4 6 8 10 12 14
Pull-ups 2 4 6 8 10 12 14
Burpee 2 4 6 8 10 12 14
Total Time:

Squats, PP and Thrusters all with 2 Kettlebells. According to CF New England, 20# KBs on this rate me as a "pup". On May 13, I was, I'd say. I know I'm better than that today but I used the same 20# to be consistent between the 2 WODs and to see the improvement.

May 13: Skipped last 14 burpees (almost puked) and did NO pull-ups (where I was at the time). Time: 37:06
June 23: Completed ALL movements to standard: Time: 26:59!

I must admit, I'm pretty pleased. I'm starting to get the kip down pretty good most of the time.

Now I get to go home and do a mini-pup WOD with my wife who wants to take some steps into the CF world. Oh boy!
Old 23 June 2008, 16:58
Authorized Personnel

Lucky you, G8r!

It's so much more fun when you've got someone to talk tras....

....errr, I mean show love, support, and encouragement to
Old 23 June 2008, 17:00
Authorized Personnel

I think she started doing some just to shut me up but she's enjoying it. We're goin really baby-step right now.
Old 23 June 2008, 17:56
Authorized Personnel

cool,

seriously, I'm happy for you. I've tried getting mom onto something...anything, but she thinks vitamins and a $500 rip off gathering dust in the closet will fix everything.
Old 23 June 2008, 22:05
Looking for work...

Hello, just joined the forum a few days ago.............glad to see a CrossFit thread. Mind if I join in ? I been CrossFit'n just over a year now.
Old 23 June 2008, 22:30
Authorized Personnel

Who me???, Welcome. I've been on this board for years and just discovered the CF threads. Been CF-ing for about 3 months, though I first experimented with it a year ago. Now I'm on it hard. See my results in a post above. Amazing.
Old 23 June 2008, 22:34
Authorized Personnel

Gryfen, if you're only 29, I assume your wife/gf is about the same and she's like you: Still thinks she's bulletproof. Have her punch out 3 kids and work hard all day at age 48 like my wife. The body goes eventually and no vitamins will stop it. The sooner she embraces that awareness the happier she'll be at 48.
Old 24 June 2008, 00:46
Killed In Action 10 AUG 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rRanger View Post
Gryfen, if you're only 29, I assume your wife/gf is about the same and she's like you: Still thinks she's bulletproof.
He's a she. :D
Old 24 June 2008, 03:56
Authorized Personnel

damn, I think I need an avatar with boobs. :D
Old 24 June 2008, 04:15
Policeman Officer

So Gryf, tell me about this girlfriend of yours... :D
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth

Our new posting rules