SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 15 July 2009, 18:09
Confirmed User

Gabriel demonstration team

When did the Gabriel demonstration team disband? (or discontinue, whatever is a better term). A mentor of mine growing up was retired SF and had a demo team come to a local high school; I was discussing this with a buddy recently. I was in junior high at the time and my 'mentor' wanted me to go to Bragg with him to "see the team," and since we never could pull that off, he had some SF guys come up to do a demo/recruiting event.
Old 15 July 2009, 20:50
Authorized Personnel

Mid-late 80's I think.
Old 15 July 2009, 21:13
Been There Done That

I was doing it as late as '92
Boatloads of fun THAT was...

PA
Old 15 July 2009, 22:05
Old Fart

If I remember correctly, the actual "dedicated" Gab team was disbanded in the late 70s. After that it became a detail that got handed around while guys were in support cycle.

Idle trivia, what was the "working knowledge of" language of the junior demo man?

Rick B

"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not sticking it up your ass."

"Experience is what you get right after you need it."

both authors "unknown"
Old 15 July 2009, 22:17
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
If I remember correctly, the actual "dedicated" Gab team was disbanded in the late 70s. After that it became a detail that got handed around while guys were in support cycle.

Idle trivia, what was the "working knowledge of" language of the junior demo man?
I think this is accurate. I remember serving on the temp Gab team during support cycle for a visit by Ted Kennedy.

What a dick.
Old 15 July 2009, 22:48
BT,WBTWC

Quote:
A. English

We were running the Gabriel demonstration with TO & E teams from the 7th SF Group in 1976 on a case by case basis. I was at the rappel station and did two of them. I think they tore up the dirt airstrip about 1978~1979 for what would become the "All American Highway." The late 1970's were not a good time for SF personnel or funding. Things improved in the mid-1980's, but I don't recall any formal effort to reinstate even an ad hoc Gabriel demonstration. There were a few "capability briefings" at the Mott Lake Isolation Area and a range I cannot remember (north of St. Mere Eglise DZ) where we could do live fire, demo, and Spectre as a part of the presentation.
Old 16 July 2009, 05:52
Confirmed User

Thanks for all responses, gentlemen. My mentor, his name was John Wolf, retired mid-70s, really wanted me to go to SF (hence why he wanted me to see the Gabriel demo), but since my grandmother was a Marine, my dad was a retired Marine, and my uncle was retired Navy...well, you can see where I went. Still, the demo I saw was pretty awesome.
Old 16 July 2009, 08:30
BTDT

As late as 2004 they still did them under the name "Modular Demonstration" or Mod Demo for short. It is, as someone mentioned above, a Red Cycle Tasking. There is a standard for the personnel required, Tm Ldr, Tm SGT, 18F, 18B, 18C, 18D, 18E, a Halo Guy and a Combat Diver Guy. For regular teams, the Halo and Diver are tasked from within the Battalion for the Demo.

There is also a standard layout for each MOS, with a pre-packaged set of weapons ready to go at SWC for sign out by the Bravo. The layout includes a manequin in Halo rig and a rubber boat for the diver.

Finally the "blurb" you had to spout in your foreign language was also provided in the tasking memorandum. It was huge ass pain as it usually required a full dress rehearsal for the Company, Battalion and usually Group Commander and CSM.

I only got tagged once, in '97 for the Pope AFB Air Show. I lucked out because all we had to do was prepare the layout, then Mr. Ron Emons (sp?), the Voice of Special Forces, narrated the blurbs as each one of us stepped forward and "snapped" and "popped" to Parade Rest with the precision of a Blackhat!..."Meet MSG Smith, the Detachment Operations Sergeant. He possess a working knowledge of French and is responsible for...." The rest of the day we hung out and tried to act like Thunderbird Pilots!

I'll check later today, but I'm pretty sure they are still tasked occassionally depending on the depth of the pockets of the target dignitary, but with the ongoing conflict, it is usally for someone with some pursestrings we are trying to tap.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 16 July 2009, 08:55
Been There Done That

As CDR396 says, thats the way they do it now.

When I was in A/3/5 in the mid 80's, the gabe team was "padded", or the ghost team for the company, I think it was around then they got integrated back into a "regular team".

We went to Ft Henry Harrison for some cold wx tng, and they where with the company, LTC Jacobelly was the Bn CDR then (it was a Bn tng thing).

I think some of the "last" Gabe teamers where, Colero, Gregory, Creech (that may have been his nickname), Jackson, and that's about all I can remember.
Old 16 July 2009, 10:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRODA396 View Post
...The rest of the day we hung out and tried to act like Thunderbird Pilots!...
Squat when you pee?

Old 16 July 2009, 15:54
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post
A. English ..............................
You are correct sir. That always cracked me up. I remember rehearsing at Devens as the medic.

Rick B

"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not sticking it up your ass."

"Experience is what you get right after you need it."

both authors "unknown"
Old 16 July 2009, 19:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glebo View Post
As CDR396 says, thats the way they do it now.

When I was in A/3/5 in the mid 80's, the gabe team was "padded", or the ghost team for the company, I think it was around then they got integrated back into a "regular team".

We went to Ft Henry Harrison for some cold wx tng, and they where with the company, LTC Jacobelly was the Bn CDR then (it was a Bn tng thing).

I think some of the "last" Gabe teamers where, Colero, Gregory, Creech (that may have been his nickname), Jackson, and that's about all I can remember.
You are right. Creech was a little short shit... Gregory (Wild Bill) was on my team after he got off the Gabe team......
Old 16 July 2009, 19:32
The USA's Loose Cannon

wow i forgot all about that pain in the ass

hmmmm seems like my team always got tasked with station 7 (mountaineering) we did regular rappels / aussie rappels / lowered a litter / two rope bridge and te three rope bridge for whoever had the worse hangover - fond memories - NOT

what were the stations again - i think 2 was the equipment layout, 7 was the mountaineering, 6 was survival and the snake house?? 1 was the intro and speil? OMG Alzheimers has hit me
Old 17 July 2009, 08:11
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Squat when you pee?

Nice....Close, actually hitting on chicks unsuccessfully all day...seems without the flightsuit, just doesnt have the same effect!

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 17 July 2009, 08:27
BTDT

In 1966 , while with the 3d SFG I was detailed to do the A-Team walk on. We had a guy, Roy K. "Squirrel" Sprouse, who brought up the end of the demo by saying " I speak Hillbily and Profanity and have a working knowledge of English". That usually brought the house down.
Old 17 July 2009, 09:29
Confirmed User

Mod Demos are still done and are usually coordinated through USASOC/SF/SWCS PAOs. Some gigs are definitely better than others and most are static. Only a couple of times per year do "full scale" demonstrations occur and they are by invite only, if I recall correctly.
Old 17 July 2009, 10:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmurph View Post
In 1966 , while with the 3d SFG I was detailed to do the A-Team walk on. We had a guy, Roy K. "Squirrel" Sprouse, who brought up the end of the demo by saying " I speak Hillbily and Profanity and have a working knowledge of English". That usually brought the house down.
Whatever happened to Squirrel? I have some fond memories; particularly with R/T Jumps on Nijmegen...
Old 23 July 2009, 09:12
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Whatever happened to Squirrel? I have some fond memories; particularly with R/T Jumps on Nijmegen...
He died a few years ago from Altsheimers. I talked to him a year or so before his death when he was home for a weekend from the convalescent home his wife had him in. (She couldn't cope 24/7) He remembered me fom the team and we reminisced about old times. I called back the next day and talked to his wife and she told me that he could remember things from 30 years before but he didn't remember that he had talked to me the day before. Damn shame! Squirrel was one of the nicest guys to know and also one of the funniest......ciiuld have had his own stand up comedy show.
Old 24 July 2009, 14:20
Confirmed User

I was in SFTG in '67 and got to do a bunch of details there including getting kilt as a VC.
Mostly repairs and area beautification, though.

A complaint amongst us new guys was we wished we could see the whole show.

It impressesed or at least significantly smoked most who did see it.

De Opresso Liber
Old 25 July 2009, 04:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
You are right. Creech was a little short shit... Gregory (Wild Bill) was on my team after he got off the Gabe team......
how short?

Our new posting rules