SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 23 January 2011, 13:01
Confirmed User

I was on a plane back to Benning, got the letter placing me back into active duty.
Old 23 January 2011, 14:06
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Watched it on CNN from King's Bay, GA. We had seven reactor coolant leaks, two freeze seals in the coolant piping, and were definitely going nowhere. Since we got the National Defense Medal for being tied to a pier, we called it the CNN medal.

My brother was over there, though, loading ordnance onto A-10s somewhere near King Khalid Military City.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 23 January 2011, 21:27
Authorized Personnel

20 years? Shit I'm going to have to stop calling some of these FOGs on this site "Gramps"
Old 23 January 2011, 21:41
Confirmed User

I was on board the USS Caron DD970 watching tomahawks fly.
Old 24 January 2011, 13:50
Confirmed User

I was in a tent south of tapline road in Saudi. We could watcth the stealth fighters flight path by watching the stars blink off and on in a straight line. I think they were doing arial refueling right above us as well.

Once the ground war started, got to do a no shit MLRS artillery raid some 20kms deep. That was serious pucker factor.
Old 24 January 2011, 14:03
Old and Broke

Alternating betwen working shifts and sitting alert in Omaha knowing I wasn't going to play in this one
Did win the bomb drop pool though.
Old 24 January 2011, 15:42
Just fading away....

Sitting on my couch, at home, fucking pissed off that I was back on recruiting duty and that the only recruiters that could go back to the fleet at this time were combat engineers.........
Old 24 January 2011, 16:04
ORP

That short little war doesn't get anywhere near enough rememberance.

Next year, someone please remember to post this in the Lounge so it gets higher visibility.

When it kicked off, I was on the phone with some guys at 3/75 who sounded mighty bummed out that they didn't get to play.
Old 24 January 2011, 17:01
Puttin' on the foil

I was in social studies in 8th grade. The teacher wheeled in an A/V cart and we watched it all class. I don't know why but I remember seeing soldiers running through deep ass sand with boonie hats on thinking to myself "cool"
Old 24 January 2011, 17:09
Just fading away....

For some of the FOG's

Actually I got to "see" the ground war.........Sort of......about a month after it was over. My CO set up a visit for all of the SNCOIC's at RS Orlando to go to CENTCOM and get a "tour" with the Operations Officer (his friend) for the ground war. Col. Williams, USMC if I recall correctly. They put us in what they said was the actual "War Room" that had some of the finest leather chairs I've ever set in, with real red phones positoned in front of them, with no numbered buttons on them, just a button to push beside the label of President, Vice-president, SOD, JCS, etc. and of course we were instructed to not push any of the buttons because we would get the person labeled on it. I really wanted to push one of them soooo bad. We were behind several one way windows and could look into the actual operations section as they were working. He then pulled up a map that covered the whole wall that was to the left of where we were sitting and showed us an hour by hour situational map of how the ground war went and then brought us up to date on where everything was to within the current hour. Just being an old cannon cocker, the shit impressed the Hell out of me. I was sitting right in front of him and he asked me to go and point out a unit on the map for him. I picked a Marine squad that looked like it was the farthest out in the desert as it could get. He picked up the phone and said a few things to someone and hung up the phone and continued his talk. In about 2 minutes the phone rang, he answered it, set the phone on speaker and then asked the individual to identify himself. It was the squad leader for that unit I had picked !!! I can only guess how good the comm and other shit is today. Totally awesome. We spent all day there and got to see a lot of good stuff and how it was done. It was one of the highlights during my time anyway...........S/F......WOM.
Old 25 January 2011, 09:32
On the Extract Bird

I was one of the LPO's in CVIC aboard Saratoga...
Old 25 January 2011, 10:34

I was in the 1/29 on Benning when the 197 was called to deploy. I spent days trying to see if I could somehow find a way to sneak into the unit or onto a plane with them.

I remember cheering at the tv when the fireworks started.

My company CO had the brilliant idea for us to take riot sticks and prepare to fight off protesters. We did riot drills for a few days. Amazing how stupid the people were in that unit. Filled with 8 year corporals and overflowing with slugs.
Old 25 January 2011, 17:46
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
That short little war doesn't get anywhere near enough rememberance.

Next year, someone please remember to post this in the Lounge so it gets higher visibility.

When it kicked off, I was on the phone with some guys at 3/75 who sounded mighty bummed out that they didn't get to play.
Talk about guys being bummed for not being allowed to play - the pilots aboard the carriers who were in "no fly" status assigned to the comms, weps, and air ops departments were the most livid. Most were senior LCDR / CDR and hadn't flew any combat missions, and they had to accept that much junior officers were going to have all the fun.
Old 26 January 2011, 18:14
Been There Done That

At 3 AM or so (If I recall) I was sitting in a hole. I heard planes, some shoving the sound barrier, some perhaps missiles. I heard the radio announce the revised DefCon and MOPP levels and say "we are in a state of war." I had a max chubber right about then.
Old 27 January 2011, 04:50
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looon View Post
My company CO had the brilliant idea for us to take riot sticks and prepare to fight off protesters. We did riot drills for a few days.
We did it out here as well because some douchebag Marine at K-Bay had refused to deploy. After getting smacked with UCMJ Action, he was kicked out of the service and became some spokesperson for peace.....

Slick thought it would be cool to fly back out here, round up some wood-hippy fucks, and do some sort of protest....and stated they were going to march from Pearl to SB....then go through McComb Gate and onward to 25ID HQ (I guess he didn't have the balls to do @ K-Bay).

Entire MP BN trained for a week to get ready.... Asshat never showed.... Several did show up outside McComb but knew better come try to illegally enter.... as there was a BN Sized element of pissed off MPs in full riot gear....most who didn't have beer the night before because we were locked down just in case they showed up early......
Old 27 January 2011, 06:35
Retired Paratrooper, 1 ea

[QUOTE=Kirk;1057948900]That short little war doesn't get anywhere near enough rememberance.

When it kicked off, I was on the phone with some guys at 3/75 who sounded mighty bummed out that they didn't get to play.[/QUOTE]

COL Kernan had spoken to us in 2/75 and said "Men, Rangers will fight in this war." Little did we know it would be one company
Old 27 January 2011, 06:50
Just tell me where OBL is and fuhgedaboudit!

I was on the phone talking to this hot chick with the TV volume down. I had my back to the TV and it registered that I was hearing AA fire in the back ground. Stayed up all night! Why? Because in a few hours I was heading to Fort Campbell because I got recalled and God knew what else..

-Edmund Burke
Old 25 February 2011, 13:01
Moving Target

20 years ago today I remember our unit making it's first contact with Iraqi forces, dug in around a few small concrete buildings. I was in the company commanders bradley doing nothing but watching out the small port windows as they shot the entire place to shit in a matter of minutes. I took pics of a turret being shot off an Iraqi armored personel carrier from a M2 bradley HE round. Today I'm drinking beer and listening to some Skynyard tunes an trying to remember my team mates phone numbers. yeah were getting old.
Old 25 February 2011, 14:26
Moving Target

no so important Update: now drinking cheap American( notice how I capitolized American) beer and remembering how the fecces hit the rotor on the 26th. I might be sober enough to post about it later but I doubt it.
Old 25 February 2011, 15:38
BEER+B8CHES=PROFIT?

I was basically a squirt that watched it on TV. I can remember watching birds catapault off the deck of a carrier (Enterprise?) and watching video of ordinance hit Baghdad. I also remember reporters going on about the SCUD threat to our troops and Israel.

I remember sitting in a dayroom when OIF kicked off and thinking how similar it looked on TV.

I don't know if it's said a lot, but a huge thanks to you guys who served in Desert Shield/Storm. It's always been my impression that it's a forgotten war.

Our new posting rules