SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 June 2019, 15:35
Been There Done That

https://news.usni.org/2019/06/07/mar...cid=1af811c873

Fucking Tragic!!!

Sharky I agree with most of your comments...... I have met some shitty SEALS in my time, those guys would be totally into this shit....

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)
Old 11 June 2019, 15:43
Been There Done That

Let me also state that these guys were probably pretty lucky that SFC Melgar didn't shoot them upon breeching his quarters.....this whole thing stinks!!!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)
Old 11 June 2019, 16:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWire View Post

Fucking Tragic!!!

Sharky I agree with most of your comments...... I have met some shitty SEALS in my time, those guys would be totally into this shit....
Alcohol can transform people into doing some pretty depraved things, totally lacking in judgement.

Unfortunately the story does not surprise me.
Old 11 June 2019, 17:30
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Alcohol can transform people into doing some pretty depraved things, totally lacking in judgement.

Unfortunately the story does not surprise me.
My problem with that is that the entire incident wasn't contrived as the result of a drunken rampage. I would be willing to bet they were all sober when their plans were made well ahead of their carrying them out. They are criminals and there is no nice way to say it. They are murderers....
Old 11 June 2019, 18:08
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWire View Post

Fucking Tragic!!!

I understand your anger, but hang 'em because they are guilty, not because of their branches.

"I have met some shitty ......" can be said for any SOF unit.

BTW, fuck all those involved and guilty. Public executions for all of 'em. They killed a brother.
Old 11 June 2019, 18:59
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
BTW, fuck all those involved and guilty. Public executions for all of 'em. They killed a brother.
1 year (and MAYBE a BCD) and 4 years with a BCD so far. What a joke.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 11 June 2019, 19:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
I understand your anger, but hang 'em because they are guilty, not because of their branches.

"I have met some shitty ......" can be said for any SOF unit.

I agree with you completely, Shitty SGM's don't fall out of the sky that way, turns out that most of them were shitty Tm Sgt's too, and so on...... I too have met plenty of shitty, even within my own ranks. I would like to think of the shittiest within my ranks, would not stoop to this level though..... Thankfully I'm retired now and I don't have to worry about my Brothers trying to ruin my evening.... They Did Kill a Brother and they should Pay for it!

Old 11 June 2019, 23:21
Been There Done That

This entire incident shocked me beyond belief, a pretty high bar. While the two MARSOC individuals involved came aboard after I retired, it still sickens me that ANY Marine let alone a MARSOC Marine would get caught up in this. I've ran into a few clowns during my time but none like this. If guilty, thry need to get max'd out.
Old 11 June 2019, 23:37
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
If guilty, they need to get max'd out.
Not happening. The Marine S/Sgt got 4 years and a BCD.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 12 June 2019, 04:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I read today that the Tm Sergeant green lighted the "Hazing". I am still trying to run the E7 Tm Sgt to ground. SFC James Morris. That mother fucker needs to fry as well. Who the fuck would turn an underling over to a bunch of shitbag seals? For Fuck's Sake.
The idea of, "Hazing gone wrong", as a means to describe the offenders behavior, sounds suspiciously like a phrase a defense attorney came up with to mitigate his clients involvement and mindset. I don't buy it.
Old 12 June 2019, 07:11
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
The idea of, "Hazing gone wrong", as a means to describe the offenders behavior, sounds suspiciously like a phrase a defense attorney came up with to mitigate his clients involvement and mindset. I don't buy it.
Bingo. Iím calling BS.
Old 12 June 2019, 09:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Bingo. I’m calling BS.
Agreed.....Especially taken into account that they brought the Malian guard and the Brit. Which one was filming and which one was going to do the ass raping? And then what? Blackmail to put the video online? There was more here than meets the eye, more than just a hazing gone wrong...... This was planned and coordinated, and they probably didn't mean to kill him, but that is what they did......

Last edited by LongWire; 12 June 2019 at 09:44. Reason: grammer
Old 12 June 2019, 09:58

Remember when this all started with money being involved...
Old 12 June 2019, 12:27
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
It's all upside for certain psychological profiles that dismiss all downsides before they start. You can't apply logic to this mindset. Much like a serial killer would revisit a site or a body or keep a trophy, the recording serves as a capture of that moment in time for them.
I agree with your premise, but I don't think that's the case here. It seems obvious from an outside, objective perspective that this likely wasn't a hazing that went bad. All I'm saying is that if I were investigating this deal, I wouldn't be satisfied with that explanation. It doesn't jibe.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 12 June 2019, 13:31
BTDT

Just curious - but if someone commits petty theft - say they go into a fancy steak house and do a "dine and dash" - as part of their getaway plan they are going to choke out the concierge - the concierge dies - to cover up the death of the concierge, they cut a hole in his neck and pretend is is done as a lifesaving measure...
...then they make up a bunch of stories to try and obstruct the truth.

Our current justice system will only charge them with petty theft since all they ordered off the menu was some fried pickles and a sweet tea...
...amIright?

Because THAT seems like the path chosen by the military justice system acting on behalf of our senior leaders.

This is embarrassing - we should just make it all go away so congress doesn't make us go to anymore "Ethics Panel" worlking group discussions.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 13 June 2019, 00:15

Um, hell no.

Generally speaking, prosecutors will charge what they are certain they can prove. There are sometimes/often political considerations that may also be in play.

And if you have a circumstance where everybody in the District Attorney's office or Sate's Attorney's office is inexperienced, they may have a great hesitation to take anything to trial and will push to reach some kind of plea agreement before that. (We have that currently where I live)
Old 13 June 2019, 01:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Just curious - but if someone commits petty theft - say they go into a fancy steak house and do a "dine and dash" - as part of their getaway plan they are going to choke out the concierge - the concierge dies - to cover up the death of the concierge, they cut a hole in his neck and pretend is is done as a lifesaving measure...
...then they make up a bunch of stories to try and obstruct the truth.

Our current justice system will only charge them with petty theft since all they ordered off the menu was some fried pickles and a sweet tea...
...amIright?

Because THAT seems like the path chosen by the military justice system acting on behalf of our senior leaders.

This is embarrassing - we should just make it all go away so congress doesn't make us go to anymore "Ethics Panel" worlking group discussions.
By accepting the pleas it would appear the Big Navy and the Big Marine Corps and the Big Army are all too happy to have this whole murder just go away. It makes sad event that much more sad.
Old 13 June 2019, 16:56
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
By accepting the pleas it would appear the Big Navy and the Big Marine Corps and the Big Army are all too happy to have this whole murder just go away. It makes sad event that much more sad.
Maybe the black eye from whatever was possibly being covered up is worse than the black eye from a "hazing gone bad"?

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 13 June 2019, 17:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
Maybe the black eye from whatever was possibly being covered up is worse than the black eye from a "hazing gone bad"?
Kind of like what happened with 1st Group in the late ‘80s. A murder, made to look like an accident, of a non-playing team member to try and cover up gun and drug running for the Yakuza.

Unfortunately, even with the most elite units - evil, greed, corruption, human nature will exist. And there will continue to be isolated incidents with some member, such as these.

This whole Africa fiasco bring back memories of this incident, as some parallels.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1990/08...2240650692800/

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1988/10...7046593841600/

Last edited by leopardprey; 13 June 2019 at 18:06.
Old 13 June 2019, 18:29
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I read today that the Tm Sergeant green lighted the "Hazing". I am still trying to run the E7 Tm Sgt to ground. SFC James Morris. That mother fucker needs to fry as well. Who the fuck would turn an underling over to a bunch of shitbag seals? For Fuck's Sake.
The Marine said he did it to “fit in with the crowd”. Could it be the same here? I think there’s an unhealthy love with SEAL Teams. Recent pattern of misbehaving, very usually tolerated. But, I said this on the other thread too, we have a very tired, all volunteer military.

They killed this man and that is not ok. I don’t think they went into the room to kill the man. Haven’t Courts ruled there’s a difference? That’s what I would investigate. I’d be very interested to know what SFC Morris’ opinion of SSG Logan Melgar is..

Very much resembles “A Few Good Men.” Was SFC Morris unhappy with his performance..?

Our new posting rules