SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 11 June 2019, 22:15
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
They are my mobile/roving CT force.

Counter-Tick. They eat fleas as well.

They can be a bit loud at times but I get a kick out of them.
Do they counter mosquitoes because I'll buy 100 of the damn things. Having a house in the woods is awesome, minus them damn things.
Old 11 June 2019, 22:17
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Yeah all of that happened after. I'm clearing 7-8 acres around end of June to establish a pasture and build a small pond so a lot of the woods that you saw when you were there will be gone. Next Spring will be building a barn with stables so will move two of the horses to the house.

I have scotch....you just have to show up.
I have large chainsaws, a 4-wheeler and a truck. Will work for scotch.
Old 12 June 2019, 05:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
Do they counter mosquitoes because I'll buy 100 of the damn things. Having a house in the woods is awesome, minus them damn things.
Put up bird nests or bat caves. That should help with your mosquito problem. Just do some research on the right ones to put up as some man made bird nests are worthless. I just know they work but don't know enough to tell you what to put up.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 12 June 2019, 05:41

Quote:
That ... would make a great bumper sticker.

DaveP
Old 12 June 2019, 09:17
Administrator

Quote:

I appreciate the offer but hoping to avoid a lot of chainsaw work. It will be pasture so I am using an excavator to push the trees over rather than cut them down. Much better than digging stumps after a logging operation. Looking at bringing in a big chipper that will grind the entire tree from branches to roots but $2500 per acre for that big grinder is a lot of $$$.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 12 June 2019, 09:31
Hard to Kill

The problem with hatching your own is trying to sex them before they become obnoxious, ready for the pot, roosters or toms. My first batch we didn't have sexed and we had abut 10 roosters of 24 chics. We ate chicken for a while that month.
Old 12 June 2019, 10:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
I appreciate the offer but hoping to avoid a lot of chainsaw work. It will be pasture so I am using an excavator to push the trees over rather than cut them down. Much better than digging stumps after a logging operation. Looking at bringing in a big chipper that will grind the entire tree from branches to roots but $2500 per acre for that big grinder is a lot of $$$.
What species of trees?

If they are hardwood - you really should drop them, limb them and stack for future use, or sell to a local mill... What you get out of the wood $-wise should cover the dozer to push the stumps out and pile them as well as the chipper...

I'd save them and when they are seasoned hire someone with a portable mill to come and create some beams and lumber for you... Big beams, small beams are ALWAYS useful on the farm
Old 12 June 2019, 11:20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
What species of trees?

If they are hardwood - you really should drop them, limb them and stack for future use, or sell to a local mill... What you get out of the wood $-wise should cover the dozer to push the stumps out and pile them as well as the chipper...

I'd save them and when they are seasoned hire someone with a portable mill to come and create some beams and lumber for you... Big beams, small beams are ALWAYS useful on the farm

They are 70-80 foot white oaks. The problem is that you cant get a logger around here to do anything with only 7-8 acres. Not enough money in it for them on only 7-8 acres. Most of the trees are long and straight but only 12" or so in diameter.

-ZZ Top
Old 12 June 2019, 11:24
Been There Done That

Firewood--you cut and haul, 50$ per load. The local good ole boys will have it gone in no time. Or barter for a little free stump grinding in exchange for fire/smokewood. You can always go old school and soak the stumps in cooking oil then burn'm out.
Old 12 June 2019, 13:38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Firewood--you cut and haul, 50$ per load. The local good ole boys will have it gone in no time. Or barter for a little free stump grinding in exchange for fire/smokewood. You can always go old school and soak the stumps in cooking oil then burn'm out.

Where I am from that would be a great idea. Around here, no way. Liability of some idiot wannabe lumberjack cutting himself with a chainsaw on my property is just too great. A shame, but it is what it is.

-ZZ Top
Old 12 June 2019, 14:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Where I am from that would be a great idea. Around here, no way. Liability of some idiot wannabe lumberjack cutting himself with a chainsaw on my property is just too great. A shame, but it is what it is.
Yeah...forgot you're in the occupied part of the state.
Old 12 June 2019, 16:16
Been There Done That

Well, you're going to have an excavator on site... Push them over, cut the bottom 16 ft. off, and stack those to the side. Then feed the rest to the chipper.

If you end up with 20 or 30 16' logs stacked, you'll be happy in a year or so to have them. Either you will find a use for them, or they'll be firewood, or, more likely, you'll be able to sell them / barter them to someone.

If you go this route, even if you only save 5 or 10 of the best, when it is all done, take a couple of gallons of polyurethane and a big brush and paint both ends of the logs where the cuts have been made. 2 gallons should do 10 trees easy. The logs will resist splitting as they cure and are better to work with or sell...
Old 12 June 2019, 16:19
Administrator

Quote:
Well, you're going to have an excavator on site... Push them over, cut the bottom 16 ft. off, and stack those to the side. Then feed the rest to the chipper.

If you end up with 20 or 30 16' logs stacked, you'll be happy in a year or so to have them. Either you will find a use for them, or they'll be firewood, or, more likely, you'll be able to sell them / barter them to someone.

If you go this route, even if you only save 5 or 10 of the best, when it is all done, take a couple of gallons of polyurethane and a big brush and paint both ends of the logs where the cuts have been made. 2 gallons should do 10 trees easy. The logs will resist splitting as they cure and are better to work with or sell...

Bro....I'm looking at HUNDREDS of them on 8 acres. My original plan was to stack them up and let them rot or pay for the chipper but now that you mention it, putting some poly on them wont be hard at all. Never know I guess. I'm sure I will keep some of the best ones.

-ZZ Top
Old 12 June 2019, 16:28
The atomic zit

I was thinking something similar. A 12 inch diameter tree should yield around an 8 x 8 beam.

This can be done via chainsaw or sawmill. I want to build a jig square off a rough sawn beam with a small chainsaw.

Regardless of how you clear your land, front end loader with tracks or not, chainsaw work will doing.

Good luck!
Old 12 June 2019, 16:59
Been There Done That

Quote:
Bro....I'm looking at HUNDREDS of them on 8 acres. My original plan was to stack them up and let them rot or pay for the chipper but now that you mention it, putting some poly on them wont be hard at all. Never know I guess. I'm sure I will keep some of the best ones.
With that much timber - you have your horse barn just waiting for you
Old 12 June 2019, 17:20

Quote:
With that much timber - you have your horse barn just waiting for you
Was thinking the same thing - barn, turnout shed, paddock, fencing.

DaveP
Old 12 June 2019, 17:55
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
You can always go old school and soak the stumps in cooking oil then burn'm out.
Why am I always the one that has to mention thermite and/or tannerite?
Old 12 June 2019, 19:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I was thinking something similar. A 12 inch diameter tree should yield around an 8 x 8 beam.

This can be done via chainsaw or sawmill. I want to build a jig square off a rough sawn beam with a small chainsaw.

Regardless of how you clear your land, front end loader with tracks or not, chainsaw work will doing.

Good luck!
This is the mill I have. It has been the handiest thing on the property and made a lot of projects come to life simply because I didn't have to buy lumber.
https://www.hud-son.com/product/hfe-...eader-sawmill/

Sharky, I'm not sure about your location, but when I worked in NC there were cost share programs to have a Forester look at your property and write a management plan. It also helped you on taxes. May not help you if your going to convert it entirely to pasture. You could also silvopasture it and let your dominate trees mature more while still providing pasture for your horses.
Old 12 June 2019, 19:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
The problem with hatching your own is trying to sex them before they become obnoxious, ready for the pot, roosters or toms. My first batch we didn't have sexed and we had abut 10 roosters of 24 chics. We ate chicken for a while that month.
Yep I bet at least half of our turn out to be roosters. My wife raises some pretty fancy birds so she can sell some, but lots end up in the pressure cooker.
Old 12 June 2019, 20:01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqg_MVbe4Wg

Alaskan chainsaw milling - DIY.
DaveP

Our new posting rules