SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 6 August 2018, 06:52
Navigating

WWIA Wounded Warriors in Action

I found a post from 2015 about this organization but I wasnít sure if I should bring it back or start anew/best place for it..

For the last 4 years Iíve helped with an event held in Ashtabula Ohio, Walleye fishing for Purple Heart awardees. A number of Walleye boat-captains donate their knowledge, boat, and gas; not to mention raise money all year to pay for this event.

This year was really cool. I talked the Boss into putting graphics on the newest car and bring it to the event. I thought the vets could ride in it during a parade that the Ashtabula Legion Riders put on for them through the streets of the city! Itís really neat, the awardees were impressed, including the 93 year old WW2 Purple Heart recipient. They limited out on Walleye for two days in a row (6xguys in a boat), the weather (for the first time in history) was perfect, they had a blast.

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 9 August 2018, 10:34
Confirmed User

My 92 year old father is unfortunately getting close to being one of the oldest American Legion members in Ashtabula. In my last visit with him in May he specifically mentioned this, and it was something that he saw as a dubious honor. It's sad to see all of your peers pass on.

It's great that you've been able to dedicate your time to this. I'm glad that they had great results on the Walleye as well. I grew up in Ashtabula County when you hardly dared to put your feet in Lake Erie. The cleanup of the lake and rivers has made the place into a significant fishing destination. It is great that the guys all had such good fortune with their catch.
Old 9 August 2018, 13:53
Navigating

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 View Post
My 92 year old father is unfortunately getting close to being one of the oldest American Legion members in Ashtabula. In my last visit with him in May he specifically mentioned this, and it was something that he saw as a dubious honor. It's sad to see all of your peers pass on.

It's great that you've been able to dedicate your time to this. I'm glad that they had great results on the Walleye as well. I grew up in Ashtabula County when you hardly dared to put your feet in Lake Erie. The cleanup of the lake and rivers has made the place into a significant fishing destination. It is great that the guys all had such good fortune with their catch.
Thank you, I really appreciated reading this. I must give all the credit to the people that organize the whole thing and the boat captains. Going and cleaning/cooking 100 fish caught that day for our wounded brothers, thatís the least I could do, I owe it to them. Hell, to me itís therapy as much as it is for them. Please pass on my best to your father, and a thank you.

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon

Our new posting rules