SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 14 March 2019, 21:28
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
Watched it last night and was unimpressed
We just said holy shit there's 40 minutes left.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 14 March 2019, 22:52
Been There Done That

Just finished. I was okay with an expected story line: Greed turns man into a fool; takes a real life event to knock him back to his senses. I was entertained.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 15 March 2019, 02:19
MAGA 2020

If you’re going to do the crime, leave no wintnesses.
Also, I concur, cache some and take some... use your means to go back for the rest.
I mean, climbing the Andes with all that heavy cash... get realz.

The whole time with the weight issue on the helo I was thinking: would you rather be one guy with one backpack of cash or 5 guys with $20M each? Ditch half the dough, primary weapons and dope, and armor. They’d have made it to the coast with $100M.

Greed, the story of humanity. Good flick though.
Old 15 March 2019, 07:13
Another pool cleaner

That chick in the movie looks like someone I knew from Brazil...

Or was it Chile...
Old 15 March 2019, 08:16
Authorized Personnel

I am halfway through and while it is terrible, I cannot look away.

:-)

-Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este
Old 15 March 2019, 12:17
Been There Done That

In a sea of movies that totally suck, this one didn’t totally suck (it just kinda sucked a little bit).

And I agree that no real SOF guy with half a brain would have made the errors that these guys made. But as was previously pointed out, it’s a Hollywood movie. So there.
Old 15 March 2019, 12:25
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
In a sea of movies that totally suck, this one didnít totally suck (it just kinda sucked a little bit).

And I agree that no real SOF guy with half a brain would have made the errors that these guys made. But as was previously pointed out, itís a Hollywood movie. So there.
What, you wouldn't make a close target reconnaissance of a a fortified drug lord's compound in street clothes, with a pistol?
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 15 March 2019, 13:53
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
What, you wouldn't make a close target reconnaissance of a a fortified drug lord's compound in street clothes, with a pistol?
Stop judging me and my hobbies.

-Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este
Old 15 March 2019, 14:19
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
The whole time with the weight issue on the helo I was thinking:
I may have made a couple of comments along the lines of "that is the dumbest possible way to do that" to the extent that my wife may have had to pause the movie.

That's pretty standard though on the flying stuff though. Overall I thought it was OK.
Old 15 March 2019, 17:00
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley_White View Post
Stop judging me and my hobbies.

-Stan
Wearing a golf shirt?

Old 15 March 2019, 18:00
BTDT

Entertaining, more than a few oversights in the 5Ps - that the target audience won't notice. Definitely didn't expect the part in the rocks. I liked it. Door was left open for a sequel (and I was saying "hit the waypoint button, mf'er" ) Oh, and a Ranger song I never heard before.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General ďto dedicate all available resources toÖ propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.Ē

ďI like taking the guns early, like in this crazy manís case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long timeĒ

ďTake the guns first, go through due process secondĒ

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 15 March 2019, 20:37
Authorized Personnel

Finished.

Horrible.

-Stan

Old 15 March 2019, 20:56
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Finished.

Horrible.

-Stan
It was a movie, not a 12-mile ruck run...you know you can turn it off half way through, right?
Old 15 March 2019, 21:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
In a sea of movies that totally suck, this one didnít totally suck (it just kinda sucked a little bit).

And I agree that no real SOF guy with half a brain would have made the errors that these guys made. But as was previously pointed out, itís a Hollywood movie. So there.
This is basically my take on it. My standards for movies are pretty low, but it does shit me when supposedly "professional operators" don't act professionally.

But....it entertained me for 2 hours.

Now excuse me while I go amend an ops plan...
Old 15 March 2019, 22:00
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
It was a movie, not a 12-mile ruck run...you know you can turn it off half way through, right?
I ainít no quitter!

-Stan

Old 16 March 2019, 10:28
Amaint de Merde

Quote:
I ainít no quitter!

-Stan
Thatís the most Redfly thing youíve said all day...
Old 20 March 2019, 22:25
Been There Done That

Triple Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Just finished. I was okay with an expected story line: Greed turns man into a fool; takes a real life event to knock him back to his senses. I was entertained.
It was worth 2+ hours of my life--especially at no cost on Netflix. I thought the mistakes they made were believable--especially since all were out of practice other than the advisor dude. Fubar pointed out the key element-greed is ALWAYS a potential factor in mission planning. We'd like to think we screen out all character flaws in our respective selection and assessment processes, but each one of us has different thresholds. Remember that these guys were admittedly in it for profit. Imagine also if they were struggling to move all that weight in cash, and then they had a non-critical, but non-mobile downed man.

I enjoyed it for the "what if", brain stretching aspect. It certainly could have been a lot worse.
Old 24 March 2019, 08:55
Been There Done That

Don't be greedy.

Two duffel bags a person, burn the place to the ground, get on the helicopter and go.

One duffle bag can hold around $3 million which is 66 pounds. $6 million each. 660 pounds extra besides passenger weight. An extra duffel bag for the chick and her brother and two extra bags for misc expenses, bribes, transport, documents and papers.

6 million for each person equates to $150,000 a year for 40 years. Not including any interest earned.

Old 24 March 2019, 09:43
All Star Benchwarmer

I enjoyed the movie for what it was, entertainment. It didn't just blow me out of the water, but then again it wasn't terrible by any means.

I am interested to see if there will be a sequel being that it ended the way it did.
Old 24 March 2019, 11:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Lol. Yes. "Now that we know what we are up against, let me open up my shipping container full of AR rifles for you to chose from".

Our new posting rules