SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 16 February 2013, 11:22
Nec Aspera Terrent

Vikings

... On nine-part miniseries drama on the History Channel, they are... Not sure if this is gonna be good, or just plain awful - although I am optimistic.

The few trailers out there haven't shown any horned helmets, or giant Marvel Thor-like men prancing around. They look like the part, at least from how modern Archeology and history has taught us. It's supposed to be more brutal and gory than Game Of Thrones, as well. Premiers on this March 3rd.

(Courtesy of IMDB)- "Vikings follows the adventures of Ragnar Lothbrok the greatest hero of his age. The series tells the sagas of Ragnar's band of Viking brothers and his family, as he rises to become King of the Viking tribes. As well as being a fearless warrior, Ragnar embodies the Norse traditions of devotion to the gods, legend has it that he was a direct descendant of Odin, the god of war and warriors."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlmSiRJZEco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rcozIVtujw

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 16 February 2013, 21:00
Nurse Ratched

I hope someone bumps this on March 2nd I don't think I can set to record this far out.

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 16 February 2013, 23:35
Authorized Personnel

Same here. Can't wait to visit Norway in 2014.
Old 18 February 2013, 17:23
Been There Done That

Aaaarggh..gotta watch it...oh wait "arrgh" is pirates...oh well.

Still gonna watch it...my Lithuanian genes say so...
Old 24 February 2013, 18:08
Bland user

Looks very promising.
Old 1 March 2013, 22:37
Been There Done That

Bump
Always a good area a study and the way things are going following Odin for a while might be better than turning the other cheek
Old 3 March 2013, 11:17
Nec Aspera Terrent

Emerging from a longboat and dense foliage near you

tonight...

Another bump. Vikings, episode 1/9 starts tonight at 10 PM EST on the History Channel.

A 2 minute clip, with Odin appearing...

http://www.history.com/shows/vikings...5125180f7e3b1#

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

Old 3 March 2013, 11:28
<3>

I've got it set to record, I hope it doesn't turn into another gay vampirish shit storm where chicks will be thinking Vikings are the dish of the day. I also hope at some point they throw in an epic battle with a berzerker wreaking havoc.
Old 3 March 2013, 11:41
Old and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot View Post
I've got it set to record, I hope it doesn't turn into another gay vampirish shit storm where chicks will be thinking Vikings are the dish of the day. .
Well, maybe if Salma Hayek ends up making Odin drink champagne out of her shoe after she is done dancing with a boa constrictor.
Old 3 March 2013, 11:50
<3>

OK, you've made me question my stance on the issue. Damnit, I was planning on doing much thinking today.

I'm hoping for the best on this, but for some reason the huge disappointment that was Thor comes to mind. My favorite comic book as a kid and they turn it into a night at the Roxbury with a hammer.
Old 4 March 2013, 00:10
Sound off for equipment check!

As a descendant of Sitric Sigtryggsson, a Viking King of Dublin, and York after Ragnall's death, and his wife, the sister of King Athelstan of England, the history of the Vikings is in my blood.

His father was Sitric Ivarsson, whose father was Ivar Ragnarsson, whose father was, well, Ragnar "Lodbrok" Sigurdson.

My people . . .
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 4 March 2013, 03:42
Doc McNasty

Been looking fwd to it, and I wasn't let down. Good period effects and sets, good character development so far. The "Earl/Lord" relationship with the other characters felt way too "feudal England" to me, but I'm curious to see where they take it.
Old 4 March 2013, 09:09
On the Extract Bird

I DVR'd the series, then watched Episode 1 late last night. Then I deleted it.
Old 4 March 2013, 09:18
<3>

One thing that bothered me is they had 6 different accents going in one clan, I think I even heard a tinge of Jersey in there. It's like every time someone makes a flick about the Bible, everyone has British accents for some reason, like it makes it more Bibley. "Oh look Nigel, commandments, would you like a spot of tea while you peruse the adultery section." The one guy that had the best accent for the part in Vikings got his damn head cut off first thing.
Old 4 March 2013, 09:24
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
One thing that bothered me is they had 6 different accents going in one clan, I think I even heard a tinge of Jersey in there. It's like every time someone makes a flick about the Bible, everyone has British accents for some reason, like it makes it more Bibley. "Oh look Nigel, commandments, would you like a spot of tea while you peruse the adultery section." The one guy that had the best accent for the part in Vikings got his damn head cut off first thing.
Agreed! I had the same issue with The Eagle. Great movie but the British accents were a bit over the top.
Old 4 March 2013, 11:29
Been There Done That

When in doubt read some Robert E Howard. I think his historical fiction was some of his best stuff. The short story The Grey God Passes tells you all you need to know about how tuff the Vikings of Dublin were.

Spoiler Alert
They Lost
Old 5 March 2013, 02:21
Confirmed User

From what Diletante Me has been studying of my ancestors (both Norskies and F'n Swedes) these last 12 years it's a narrative well constructed to relate some of the world view, technology, and assertive women of the day (she should have been riding an auroch, instead).
Just saw episode 2 On Demand and enjoyed the homages
to Schindler's List (monk in the latrine) and Nanook of the North(biting the paper)!

Last edited by jeager; 5 March 2013 at 02:30.
Old 5 March 2013, 09:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Well, if they spoke Viking (or whatever)...we (well, at least me) wouldn't be able to understand it at all...

I don't do subtitles...
Old 5 March 2013, 09:27
<3>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glebo View Post
Well, if they spoke Viking (or whatever)...we (well, at least me) wouldn't be able to understand it at all...

I don't do subtitles...
Even if they had spoken Proto-Norse, it wouldn't have been with 6 different accents in one clan.
Old 5 March 2013, 14:12
Nec Aspera Terrent

I liked the show, and looking forwards to the rest of the series.

Now admittedly, my Viking knowledge is quite limited, and as far as I know, I have not a single drop of their blood within my veins. But, it seemed quite believable and accurate, for a TV show.

I heard all the accents too, and thought it was strange. Meh, it's alright, IMO. I mean think about it, what historically-based TV show out there at least partially made in Europe, doesn't have British accents?

It's almost as if the industry sees it as the gold standard for sophistimication or something...

In any case, yeah despite that mix of accents, nothing seemed out of place, to me.

- Anonymous

"It's blank."

Our new posting rules