SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 27 March 2013, 17:53
Newbie shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Foxtrot4 View Post
On another note, I was happy to finally see some great small unit tactics and blood-soaked Berserker esprit.
12Foxtrot4
That was awesome to watch.

Loved the look on the brits face when they realized shit was not going their way.

- Local
Old 27 March 2013, 22:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST View Post
I did dig the phalanx that the Vikings deployed on the beach this week.
Does anyone know if that was a tactic that the Vikings actually used? I would expect it of Greek hoplites or Roman legionnaires, so it is possible this technique could've been spread to Scandinavia. Or they could've devised it themselve.

I'm also a little curious at the Viking's seeming lack of knowledge of the "West." If I remember my Western Civ classes, Christian missionaries had spread to Scandinavia by the 8th century AD, as well as others who would've had knowledge of the English Isles. The fact that the monk (Ragnar's slave) knew their language from having spent time somewhere in Viking lands makes me wonder if they are skewing history for dramatic effect.
Old 27 March 2013, 22:48
Retired Veteran

Yes, the Vikings used the shield wall. I was surprised the show didn't include spears in the shield wall, as the Vikings were also famous for this.
"History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices." -Bill Watterson
Old 27 March 2013, 23:55
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog79 View Post
. . . I'm also a little curious at the Viking's seeming lack of knowledge of the "West." . . . The fact that the monk (Ragnar's slave) knew their language from having spent time somewhere in Viking lands makes me wonder if they are skewing history for dramatic effect.
They are.

It's sort of, "It could have happened this way, so let's pretend it did." There's no proof, for instance, that Ragnar led the Lindisfarne raid, or that he was even on it.

But he easily could have been...
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 28 March 2013, 02:52
Confirmed User

[QUOTE=GST;1058263679]I hate that smarmy little fucker.

I agree, things are definitely getting interesting between Ragnar and Rollo. I believe it was the first episode where Rollo wanted to get with Ragnar's wife so his motives for pulling Ragnar's dick out of the wringer this week were definitely not altruistic, he just didn't want to see her die. I don't see Rollo lasting much longer.

QUOTE]

Historic Rollo founded Normandy

Last edited by jeager; 28 March 2013 at 03:02.
Old 28 March 2013, 19:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker19D30 View Post
Yes, the Vikings used the shield wall. I was surprised the show didn't include spears in the shield wall, as the Vikings were also famous for this.
I did some internet research on Vikings after I posted last night. Pretty interesting stuff. It seems they were mainly farmers and traders, but didn't hesitate to take from others. They conducted raids as far East as Constantinople, and probably were the first Europeans to visit North America. The usual weaponry carried by a Viking male was his shield, battle sword, battle axe, spear, and a knife. They also used bows. T

One part of the series that deviates widely from history is the "shield maiden". According to what I read, men and women had distinct roles in their society. Women were respected for their wisdom, beauty, and ability to run things when hubby was away. They were, however, not allowed to participate in battle, and could be ostracized if they did.

I may wait until the series is over before I do any more research so I don't ruin the entertainment value by getting wrapped up in facts.
Old 31 March 2013, 08:55
Confirmed User

If you're enjoying this series and you like reading you may be interested in The Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell. Its highly entertaining historical fiction written by one of the genres best.

The series covers the invasion of a fragmented England by the Danes during the time of Alfred the Great.
Old 31 March 2013, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsC0321 View Post
The series covers the invasion of a fragmented England by the Danes during the time of Alfred the Great.
Sounds like the "Great Heathen Army" led by the sons of Ragnar and eventually defeated by Alfred.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 2 April 2013, 14:04
Administrator

Good show. Love the theme song. "If I had a heart" by Fever Ray. Definite war music.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 7 April 2013, 06:47
Been There Done That

The Earl

The earl seemed stern the first couple of episodes but seems to have turned into some kind of wacko nut.

Him and his toadies have killed off more vikings (and family) than the British have.
Old 7 April 2013, 09:59
Old and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Good show. Love the theme song. "If I had a heart" by Fever Ray. Definite war music.
I think the whole intro is cool. The music, the Viking slowly sinking into the ocean, the view from below of the Viking ships.
Old 7 April 2013, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog79 View Post
I want to see the Earl's little toady (short, beard, fat) get his head put on a pike sometime before the series ends...
Looks like an axe to the sternum will have to suffice.

Old 7 April 2013, 23:45
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
I was hoping for more. Turd needed to suffer.
Old 9 April 2013, 17:55
Psalm 91:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
I yelled, "Finally dammit" and my husband about jumped out of his chair....he'd dozed off. I wanted that sucker gone from the 1st episode. Rollo is NOT to be trusted.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 9 April 2013, 23:21
Confirmed User

QUOTE=Linda1961;1058267827]I yelled, "Finally dammit" and my husband about jumped out of his chair....he'd dozed off I wanted that sucker gone from the 1st episode. Rollo is NOT to be trusted.[/QUOTE]

Rollo is a loose cannon, but he's gonna be busy with mother/daughter tagg team for an Epic!
Old 10 April 2013, 00:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeager View Post
QUOTE=Linda1961;1058267827]I yelled, "Finally dammit" and my husband about jumped out of his chair....he'd dozed off I wanted that sucker gone from the 1st episode. Rollo is NOT to be trusted.

Rollo is a loose cannon, but he's gonna be busy with mother/daughter tagg team for an Epic!
For sure. SPOILER ALERT
|
|
|
|

Did you catch the comment to Siggy about an Earl protecting her? He's got something planned......gonna either try and get rid of his brother (can't since the series is based on Ragnar's legend) but he CAN plot....or he's gonna take over the daughter's dead husband's area or something.

I don't like him....though the actor IS cute. Too bad the Earl messed his face up for the rest of the series.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 10 April 2013, 00:58

This show is consistently the reason why I feel I was born in the wrong century. It doesn't help I am Norse, too

Them's my people.
Old 10 April 2013, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
This show is consistently the reason why I feel I was born in the wrong century. It doesn't help I am Norse, too

Them's my people.
Do you carry a war ax? Are you tall?

Oh I almost forgot the most important SOCNET question.....

"Are you hot?"

Old 10 April 2013, 08:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1961 View Post
Do you carry a war ax? Are you tall?

Oh I almost forgot the most important SOCNET question.....

"Are you hot?"
Haaaa awsome...from the other side ...
Old 10 April 2013, 20:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1961 View Post
I yelled, "Finally dammit" and my husband about jumped out of his chair....he'd dozed off. I wanted that sucker gone from the 1st episode. Rollo is NOT to be trusted.
My wife watches this with me, and we high-fived when that little shit got the axe, literally. I thought it would happen later in the series, but I'm happy

Our new posting rules