SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 10 April 2013, 20:33
Nec Aspera Terrent

I laughed when the toady was killed, just oh so casually by Rollo. Obviously, no one liked the man and I imagine his carcass was probably fed to the wolves... Good news, History will be doing a second season in 2014 - with 10 episodes.

Wonder how far things will go... will we see Rollo as King of Normandy? Ragnar's end? Showing time several years into the Viking Age?

-----------------------

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3022686.html

-----------------------

History's "Vikings" has been renewed for a second season.
In the midst of its successful debut season, History ordered 10 more episodes of the historical drama centering on Viking Ragnar Lodbrok (Travis Fimmel). The fact that History decided to renew "Vikings" should come as no surprise: The freshman drama has averaged 5.0 million total viewers in its first season, with a 1.9 rating in the coveted 18-49 demo.

“'Vikings' is a win win for us. As our first scripted series, 'Vikings' has paid off in a big way with critical acclaim, strong ratings and a passionate, loyal fan base," Dirk Hoogstra, History's executive vice president of development and programming, said of the "Vikings" renewal in a statement.

"It came out of the gate strong and has stayed on top, solidifying History as a major player in the scripted genre, just as we are in reality. We could not be more proud of the entire cast and crew and everyone involved in the making of 'Vikings.'"

Production on "Vikings" Season 2 is set to kick off this summer and the sophomore season will make its debut on History sometime in 2014.

In the meantime, enjoy the first season of "Vikings," which comes to an end on April 28.

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 10 April 2013, 22:34
Confirmed User

Was quite happy that the toady was killed, hopefully he was beheaded with his nose buried in his ass so he would be forever disgraced.
Old 10 April 2013, 23:22

I hated that conniving turd bastard. Almost as much as that insufferable little shit Joffery from GoT (I'm planning a party when that fucker dies).
Old 11 April 2013, 01:19
Confirmed User

Haven't had a chance to see this yet. Are there any boobies?
Old 11 April 2013, 03:40
Psalm 91:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glebo View Post
Haaaa awsome...from the other side ...
LMAO... gotta keep the tradition going...ya know?

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 11 April 2013, 03:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
I hated that conniving turd bastard. Almost as much as that insufferable little shit Joffery from GoT (I'm planning a party when that fucker dies).
But.....but....are you hot? Are you tall? Do you carry a war ax?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 11 April 2013, 07:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
Haven't had a chance to see this yet. Are there any boobies?
Sorry buddy. It's on the history channel. No bewbs. Lots of blood though.
Old 11 April 2013, 07:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1961 View Post
But.....but....are you hot? Are you tall? Do you carry a war ax?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Sorry, only 5'11". A little of my Nordic blood has been sullied by those Germanic bastards over the centuries. And if I was hot, saying it would be pretty trashy, ya know?

And we all know how classy we gotta keep it here on SOCNET.
Old 11 April 2013, 11:45
Old and Grumpy

" Now go get me some pickled herring."
Old 11 April 2013, 17:40

Quote:
Sorry, only 5'11". A little of my Nordic blood has been sullied by those Germanic bastards over the centuries. And if I was hot, saying it would be pretty trashy, ya know?

And we all know how classy we gotta keep it here on SOCNET.
LOL...

Hey that's tall.....I'm barely 5'4 (if I stand up real straight)....just about everyone is tall to me.

Old 15 April 2013, 09:58
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
Wonder how far things will go... will we see Rollo as King of Normandy? Ragnar's end? Showing time several years into the Viking Age?
A lot of anachronism going on here. Historical Rollo converted in 911 in France and was given land, now called Normandy, and the king's daughter in exchange for ending his plundering ways.

26 years earlier, he had rowed up the Seine with 700 longboats and about 30,000 Vikings to lay siege to Paris. The armada stretched out for 6 miles on the river.

Maybe, in about 1,200 years, a story will be told about Gen. Schwarzkopf aiding his brother "Black Jack" Pershing during WWI in France.

Having said that, this is one helluva show! I really like the subtle introduction of Old Norse words now in common use in English.

That, and the violence!
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 15 April 2013, 10:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
That, and the violence!
Concur, Sir. The crazed look on Ragnar's blood-splattered face and Rollo's berserker rage and saga poetry in the shield wall are worth the price of admission.

12Foxtrot4
Old 15 April 2013, 10:25
Nec Aspera Terrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
A lot of anachronism going on here. Historical Rollo converted in 911 in France and was given land, now called Normandy, and the king's daughter in exchange for ending his plundering ways.

26 years earlier, he had rowed up the Seine with 700 longboats and about 30,000 Vikings to lay siege to Paris. The armada stretched out for 6 miles on the river.

Maybe, in about 1,200 years, a story will be told about Gen. Schwarzkopf aiding his brother "Black Jack" Pershing during WWI in France.

Having said that, this is one helluva show! I really like the subtle introduction of Old Norse words now in common use in English.

That, and the violence!
Argh...

That's what I get for just mentioning hearsay, and not verifying it against real history. Seriously, thanks for the real stuff.

I'm sure we won't have to wait long for history to be thrown totally out of whack... Give it a hundred and fifty years, and we will be hearing how it was President Taft who conquered the Moon, enslaving an alien race who were allowed to live wherever they wanted on Earth, and are better known as Moonbats... And, since then? Things have just gotten crazier in this world...

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

Old 15 April 2013, 10:27
Retired Veteran

Excellent episode last night. Lagertha (Ragnar's wife) should be giving birth to Ivar the Boneless here pretty soon.

ETA: Interesting side note, Katheryn Winnick, the actress who plays Lagertha, is an accomplished martial artist and her brother is in the Canadian Army and has recently deployed to Afghanistan.
"History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices." -Bill Watterson

Last edited by Husker19D30; 15 April 2013 at 10:55.
Old 15 April 2013, 16:53
Been There Done That

Anyone notice the shield maiden KAATN during the fake gold transfer?

Great episode last night.

"Heimdahl chose your wife to bear his child..." LOL Well played.
Old 15 April 2013, 18:33
Nec Aspera Terrent

Yeah, I saw her too. She was also present in the previous episode, and I'm thinking, even the one before that. If I'm not mistaken, she's also visible celebrating with Ragnar, Rollo and the others a few episodes ago when the Jarl's men barged into the house they were celebrating, to try and kill Ragnar. Seems she is a background character who comes-out to play/kill whenever there is plenty of enemies to slay.

- Anonymous

"It's blank."

Old 15 April 2013, 19:07
Sound off for equipment check!

Lets see if she winds up being Aslaug Sigurdsdatter and has Ragnar's sons Ivar, Sigurd "Snake-Eye," and Hvitserk. In legend she was the daughter of Sigurd and Brynhildr, the "Fire-Ring Maiden" of Wagner's "Der Ring des Nibelungen."

And a Valkyrie!

Let's ride . . .
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 15 April 2013, 21:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Sorry buddy. It's on the history channel. No bewbs. Lots of blood though.
Ok, you convinced me. I'll watch it today...
Old 15 April 2013, 21:37
Bland user

I'm really enjoying this series. I've been looking into Ragnar's history. This guy was amazing.

I may need to pick one of these up. Swedish Hand Forged Battle Ax

I use a Wetterlings Swedish Ax out in the woods and it really holds a keen edge. Blows through logs shockingly fast.
Old 16 April 2013, 11:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
Now admittedly, my Viking knowledge is quite limited, and as far as I know, I have not a single drop of their blood within my veins.
You might be surprised. As best I can tell, I have no ancestors that came directly to America from a Scandinavian country, yet my DNA reflects 53% Scandinavian. The majority of my ancestors can be traced to the British Isles with a smaller number of Germans, French, and Dutch so it seems that extensive Viking (and later Norman) conquests and colonization are the sources for my blood. On one ancestry site Ive even seen African Americans with fairly high percentages of Scandinavian DNA.

Our new posting rules