SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 16 April 2013, 19:57
Confirmed User

Watched first 6 episodes yesterday during a rare day off. Very enjoyable, although obviously it needs more boobies during the sex scenes.

But what's with the Viking men being so willing to share their women?
Old 16 April 2013, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
But what's with the Viking men being so willing to share their women?
I'd definitely lay down the pipe with Ragnar's wife. For sure.

However, Ragnar offered and that priest declined. I mean, who the shit knows......That dude in the first episode got killed for taking up the Earl on his offer of sleeping with his wife. Then, that chick had that baby with "Heimdal" and almost got stoned to death by her husband. So I'd say that not ALL the vikings were into pigroasting their women.

I dunno. Maybe Ragnar was testing that priest's loyalty or whatever. I would have failed.
Old 16 April 2013, 20:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 View Post
You might be surprised. As best I can tell, I have no ancestors that came directly to America from a Scandinavian country, yet my DNA reflects 53% Scandinavian. The majority of my ancestors can be traced to the British Isles with a smaller number of Germans, French, and Dutch so it seems that extensive Viking (and later Norman) conquests and colonization are the sources for my blood. On one ancestry site Ive even seen African Americans with fairly high percentages of Scandinavian DNA.
I thought of your post as I was driving home from work today and heard a radio advertisement for DNA Ancestry. I'll check out the cost, and if it's not too expensive I might do it for grins.
Old 16 April 2013, 20:41
Nec Aspera Terrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 View Post
You might be surprised. As best I can tell, I have no ancestors that came directly to America from a Scandinavian country, yet my DNA reflects 53% Scandinavian. The majority of my ancestors can be traced to the British Isles with a smaller number of Germans, French, and Dutch so it seems that extensive Viking (and later Norman) conquests and colonization are the sources for my blood. On one ancestry site I’ve even seen African Americans with fairly high percentages of Scandinavian DNA.
That's true, but I think it's quite unlikely in any case. Yet again, I am half-Greek, and Viking mercenaries did serve in the Byzantine Empire, centuries ago. Mom's side? She's Chinese, so yeah... perhaps my father's side... Who knows? Maybe Viking, and given the history of Southern Europe - I would not be the least bit surprised to find Turkish and/or other Asian DNA floating around in my blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog79 View Post
I thought of your post as I was driving home from work today and heard a radio advertisement for DNA Ancestry. I'll check out the cost, and if it's not too expensive I might do it for grins.
I'm actually waiting for my kit do arrive - I'm doing mine with National Geographic as part of their Genogrpahic Project. It'll help piece together the Human story, and add to the pool of families who have swabbed their inner cheeks and submitted it in the name of science and curiosity.

My mother's more interested than my father, so we're doing my Chinese side and gonna have my uncle to the testing. But with what P38 mentioned? Damn, kinda wish I ordered two kits. Maybe in the future...

For those who are interested - https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/ (You will earn the migration paths of your distant ancestors. Not any names...)

I have been meaning to do this for the last six f'ing years after reading Dr. Well's book, and finally pulled the trigger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post

So I'd say that not ALL the vikings were into pigroasting their women.
You mean, spitroasting...

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 16 April 2013, 21:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
Ref: Your Post
The Normans controlled Malta, Sicily, and the southern half of Italy for some time. They also conquered Cyprus and used it as a main support base for the crusaders in the Middle East. Plus they were in the Black Sea. That would add viking DNA to the region. Anybody with ancestry from the Med could have a mixture of Middle East DNA, Persian, Southern Europe, etc. Your results may be quite interesting.

I've been doing ancestry research using the ancestry(dot)com software and they did my Family Finder DNA test for free. The results are easy to understand. Of course the more you know, the more you want to know. My father is in his late 80's so I had him tested through the Family Tree / FTDNA website. I paid for the Y-DNA (direct male line) and Family Finder DNA tests and then went back to pay for an upgraded test. Eventually I'll have his mt DNA tested from the same sample. Men carry both their paternal and maternal DNA histories. It provides much more technical detail that than my test. Eventually I'll have my mother tested for the Family Finder and her mt DNA to follow her maternal line and see how it matches up with what I've documented. Each testing company has its own set of definitions so it can be confusing. It's also quite a money making racket.

My apologies for straying from the subject of this thread.
Old 17 April 2013, 04:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
You mean, spitroasting...
Tomato.......Toh-mah-tow

Old 22 April 2013, 12:37
Been There Done That

Last night's episode was a little strange and darker than usual. I wonder how the priest and Ragnar are going to get along since he put him up as a human sacrifice.
Old 22 April 2013, 19:36
Confirmed User

Great episode. I really like the concept of "sacrifice" being just that; a freewilled believer commiting all, not a captured slave or enemy executed. Speaks volumes of Viking culture.
12Foxtrot4
Old 22 April 2013, 19:46
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Foxtrot4 View Post
a freewilled believer commiting all, not a captured slave or enemy executed. Speaks volumes of Viking culture.
12Foxtrot4
Except of course the priest.

I wonder if the king is going to trust Ragnar, and for how long. Seems he is going to have issues with the king, his wife, and his brother.
Old 22 April 2013, 19:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Tomato.......Toh-mah-tow

jibjab party invitations in the mail?
Old 22 April 2013, 22:20
Sound off for equipment check!

I see Aslaug is in the cast for the season finale.

Say adios to Lagertha...
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 23 April 2013, 06:54
Been There Done That

Ragnar's list

Ragnar's list of friends keeps getting shorter.
Old 23 April 2013, 08:29
Fan ar an gcosn

Caught up on the last three episodes last night. Great series. I loved the visible, matter of fact change to ass kicking mode when the English double crossed them and attacked their camp. Great hidden barrier.

I also love the intro song, so Googled it and downloaded it to iTunes for a warm up/cool down song. The song is "If I Had a Heart" by Fever Ray.
Old 28 April 2013, 23:11

Aslaug - the three riddles, the meeting, the ancestry. Kudos to the writers. They did their research.

Cannot wait for season 2.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 29 April 2013, 07:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
Aslaug - the three riddles, the meeting, the ancestry. Kudos to the writers. They did their research.

Cannot wait for season 2.
That was a cliff-hanger for sure. I was wondering how they were going to include Aslaug. Looking forward to Season 2; which had better start on 2 January 2014...
Old 12 May 2013, 17:36
Been There Done That

OK Just watched the last episode

OK just watched the last episode.

Jeeez, Rollo, waking the tightrope again? Are you playing a part or are you willing to turn on your brother for a promise?
Old 17 February 2014, 12:22
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smile Season 2 starts soon...

Thursday, February 27th; the second season starts-up. And things do not look good for anyone. It's brother vs. brother on the field of battle...

I am certainly looking forwards to this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdn0OSAzpE0

And if anyone is interested, an interview with Travis Fimmel (Ragnar) and Travis Fimmel (Rollo) on season 2 and what you might see... There are interviews with all the main cast members and are are pretty interesting as links on the side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg1ln-rWVsk

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 2 March 2014, 12:52
Life is simple, not easy.

S2 started this week. I keep wondering though when they will head West and start some serious pillaging again.

Seems to me the first part of this season as shown in the previews is pretty much Viking on Viking battles -- not that there's anything wrong with that mind you.
Old 2 March 2014, 18:12
Been There Done That

I just watched the first episode of S2 last night...and let me tell you, it does not disappoint.

This show is the best thing on TV.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 20 March 2014, 23:31

Jarl Borg's visit to the Seer tonight will not result in what he thinks. When Borg asks what the future holds for him, the Seer said "I see an eagle over you, and you are the eagle." Borg says, "That's a good thing, no?" The Seer said "yes, it's a good thing."

Jarl Borg thinks he's in for great things. He has obviously forgotten about that "other" eagle the Vikings used in rare instances to please Odin...

Yes, this IS the best show on TV, IMO.....

Our new posting rules