SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 24 September 2018, 05:01
Confirmed User

Finally got around to seeing this.

Like some others, I was disappointed. I'm usually very open-minded when it comes to a movie's plot, but this one started with, "we're going to war", and wanting to "go dirty", and after the opening scenes leading up to said war, all of a sudden no one had the stomach for any of it?

It wasted its very real potential to be an amazing movie, and ended up being a "meh" movie, with some very good action scenes.
Old 24 September 2018, 06:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
Finally got around to seeing this.

Like some others, I was disappointed. I'm usually very open-minded when it comes to a movie's plot, but this one started with, "we're going to war", and wanting to "go dirty", and after the opening scenes leading up to said war, all of a sudden no one had the stomach for any of it?

It wasted its very real potential to be an amazing movie, and ended up being a "meh" movie, with some very good action scenes.

Well that just made it realistic to me. Typical politicians not wanting to follow it through.

If they would have just gone in and really done the job - yeah a great movie but not reality. Just what we wished would happen but never will due to a lack of spines in our government.
Old 24 September 2018, 06:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Well that just made it realistic to me. Typical politicians not wanting to follow it through.
Agree. But I don't want "reality" in movies!
Old 24 September 2018, 06:54
Been There Done That

Quote:

If they would have just gone in and really done the job - yeah a great movie but not reality. Just what we wished would happen but never will due to a lack of spines in our government.
Yep. My take too.

Karl Childers
Old 24 September 2018, 07:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
Agree. But I don't want "reality" in movies!
But see if they made it that way, then we would all be on here bitching about how that is not real, that is not how it is really done, how Hollywood got it all wrong again.
Old 24 September 2018, 09:29
Unemployed Stunt Double

Good movie.
Old 24 September 2018, 09:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Good movie.
Well. Tell us Alejandro....how's the training coming along with the "new kid"?

Karl Childers
Old 24 September 2018, 09:40
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Well. Tell us Alejandro....how's the training coming along with the "new kid"?
You'll have to wait until the next movie for that. This one left plenty on the table for the third movie.
Old 24 September 2018, 20:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
But see if they made it that way, then we would all be on here bitching about how that is not real, that is not how it is really done, how Hollywood got it all wrong again.
Damn you and your injection of reality into the conversation!
Old 30 September 2018, 00:27
Amaint de Merde

One of those rare times I have to reverse an opinion on a movie I had written off. I finally saw the new Sicario tonight and thought it was a vast improvement on the first.

It had a lot of real life covert action head aches that ring true...POTUS pulling the CA finding after shit goes sideways. Liaison going bad, etc. That said...I am not sure why DoD was brought in to run covert action but I chaulk that up to the writer having just as much a problem with title 10 vs title 50 as DoD and the Agency does

I was all ready to write it off when they brought the girl into the US, but then the plot twist made sense and was pretty clever.
Old 30 September 2018, 16:03
Drawing my cutlass

The kids are the same age, want to bet this figures into round 3?

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 30 September 2018, 16:33
Been There Done That

I was surprised with the direction it took. Left a few interesting openings to consider. Kinda hoping Christopher Nolan does the third one.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 1 November 2018, 09:40
Another pool cleaner

Just saw it.

Thought one of the actors looked like Pat MacNamara. Talk about adding street cred!
Old 3 November 2018, 16:45
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I heard that this is supposed to be a trilogy of movies, so I guess the next one will have Alejandro molding they young kid in his image and setting him loose on Graver and the bureaucratic lady who threw him under the bus.
Old 3 November 2018, 17:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
...and the bureaucratic lady...
That's really funny for reasons most won't get.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 3 November 2018, 20:05
Been There Done That

My prediction is Aljhandro and the kid kill everybody but their main squeeze.

Everybody.

Wanna hear my prediction for V?

Karl Childers
Old 3 November 2018, 20:35
I really don't care

Watched it a few weeks ago. At first I was disappointed in the ending but eventually realized it's purpose. I liked that we learned more about Alejandro. I'm definitely up for the 3rd installment if there is one. Hopefully Emily Blunt won't show up to play her whiny character again.
Old 12 March 2019, 18:38
Life is simple, not easy.

I liked this movie as much as the first. It was a little thin towards the latter 1/4 of the movie but I think it finished strong, and left open the possibility for a 3rd movie. I won't spoil it but there are 2 characters that could be developed in #3 that are leftover from #2.
Old 13 June 2019, 03:43

I liked both of those movies. I preferred "Sicario".

Emily Blunt's character as a strictly by the book FBI agent was in the first movie to create some dramatic tension. Gotta have dramatic tension in a novel or a movie or there isn't much to the plot. When creating such tension, it is helpful if the situation that creates the tension is realistic. Having a federal agent who can't make the mental switch from running a conventional investigation into unconventional warfare is entirely realistic.

When I go to an action movie I hope to be entertained, I hope the soundtrack is good (so I can buy the CD and tape the good parts and listen to it on my 1988 Walkman at the gym) and I hope the weapon handling is decent.

Those movies were not a documentary about a real series of events, they were FICTION and sometimes a willing suspension of disbelief is required to enjoy such movies.
Old 13 June 2019, 16:03
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8822 View Post
I liked both of those movies. I preferred "Sicario".

Emily Blunt's character as a strictly by the book FBI agent was in the first movie to create some dramatic tension. Gotta have dramatic tension in a novel or a movie or there isn't much to the plot. When creating such tension, it is helpful if the situation that creates the tension is realistic. Having a federal agent who can't make the mental switch from running a conventional investigation into unconventional warfare is entirely realistic.

When I go to an action movie I hope to be entertained, I hope the soundtrack is good (so I can buy the CD and tape the good parts and listen to it on my 1988 Walkman at the gym) and I hope the weapon handling is decent.

Those movies were not a documentary about a real series of events, they were FICTION and sometimes a willing suspension of disbelief is required to enjoy such movies.
Not to sidetrack this.. However, they still sell CDs that you then put on a tape? They still sell both of those CDs and tapes??? Your 1988 Walkman still works and you don't mind the bulk?

Ever considered downloading a soundtrack or streaming on your cell? Just curious

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer

Our new posting rules