SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 27 February 2019, 15:11
Sub Rosa

When Heroes Fly

Last week I started watching "When Heroes Fly," which is an Israeli made Netflix original show. The basic plot is 4-former IDF Recon types, veterans of Lebanon, regroup to recover a female who was thought dead. Instead she joined a cult in Colombia and is now being held against her will. The dudes are loaded with lots of baggage: PTSD, drug addiction, terminal cancer, and loads of guilt. Yet they forage on against narcos, corrupt diplomats and la policia. Along the way attempt to heal and make sense of their historical acts and the corresponding consequences. I'm on episode 6 and its good and getting better. The lead female is hot, although I doubt she passes the pinky test! They definitely filmed on-location in Colombia as I recognized multiple scenes in and around Bogota. So far I give it a 7.5 out of 10.

Israelis have this thing for Colombia and you bump into them all over, especially along the la costa, Barranquilla and Santa Marta. So I guess it made sense to make a film about Israelis running off to Colombia for fun and adventure. Apparently the show has been well received in Israel. As per SOP, Netflix released all season 1 episodes and reportedly a new season has been ordered. Finally, the show is filmed in Hebrew and Spanish, with dub in English. This might throw off some and it took me a little to get used to it but I'm now past it and it doesn't bother me at all.
Old 27 February 2019, 15:35
Red Headed Stepchild

Cool. I will definitely check that out.
Old 28 February 2019, 11:34
Been There Done That

I enjoyed this quite a bit. I am finding more and more of these foreign films to my liking.
Old 28 February 2019, 15:31
Been There Done That

I liked it. It was a good show.
Old 28 February 2019, 16:44
Life is simple, not easy.

I'm on E4 and will definitely finish. Israel has some good writers and actors.

Our new posting rules