SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 27 February 2019, 16:29
Going cyclic!!

The Highwaymen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8odfavYNzU

Heck yeah. And this is very apropos for me as I just got done reading the biography on Frank Hamer.
Looks good, even if it appears there's some Hollywood embelishments
Old 27 February 2019, 16:33
Been There Done That

Hell to the fuck yeah...thanks for posting.
Old 27 February 2019, 16:52
Problem Solver

I'm definitely in...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 27 February 2019, 18:01
Confirmed User

I'm in as well. And now I need a cut back BAR....
Old 27 February 2019, 18:22

Just read the Frank Hamer book Texas Ranger the epic life of....this was a true lawman of the era, great read and can't believe our luck that they made this movie, once again thanks Netflix!
Old 27 February 2019, 18:56
Authorized Personnel

Looks worth going to the theater...
Old 27 February 2019, 21:38
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglework View Post
Just read the Frank Hamer book Texas Ranger the epic life of....this was a true lawman of the era, great read and can't believe our luck that they made this movie, once again thanks Netflix!
That's the one I just got done reading. Great book, IMHO. Had a full life and probably the last of the old time lawmen.
Funny too, because his wife (or daughter, I can't recall), hated the way they portrayed him in the Warren Beatty Bonnie & Clyde movie.
He had a son who was a Marine and died at Iwo Jima. And he was also on the other side of a political fight against a young LBJ, who basically stole an election in TX early in his political career

Last edited by billdawg; 27 February 2019 at 21:58.
Old 28 February 2019, 12:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Clyde might be King but I'm a Texas Ranger you little shit
Love it. Need to read the book.
Old 29 March 2019, 19:01
Problem Solver

FYI, this is now available for viewing on Netflix...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 29 March 2019, 19:35
Been There Done That

Well, suppose to be raining all day tomorrow - now I have plans!
Old 29 March 2019, 20:49
0311/8651

Just viewed it. Will watch again.
Old 30 March 2019, 08:10
Confirmed User

I was very disappointed and admit that I didn't finish it. I thought it was poorly acted, poorly written and had terrible pacing. We watched it at the fire hall and most of the guys didn't finish it. The ones that did told me I didn't miss anything.
Old 30 March 2019, 08:46
Been There Done That

Cripes. I still have an international version of netflix so it shows up as a choice in the text search results on the left hand side but without a link to the video on the right.

I'll watch once it is available on my version of netflix.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 30 March 2019, 10:29
Been There Done That

Thought was a good movie. Costner and Harrleson delivered.

Guess things have not changed too much - 20,000 people showing up for Bonnie's funeral. Sigh.....

Now if I could just travel back in time and pay that gun store a visit!
Old 30 March 2019, 13:16
Going cyclic!!

Just got done watching it. I thought it was a solid movie. Costner & Harrelson worked well together. It was a tad long maybe and dragged a little, but all in all I thought it was good flick.
I have to laugh at all the reviews I read that denigrated it because it 'sugar coats' Hamers sexism because he disliked Ma Ferguson as the first female Gov of Texas. They should read up on their TX history a little. While I'm sure Hamer wasn't thrilled about a woman Gov, it had nothing to do with her gender and more about her and her husband being corrupt and disbanding the Rangers. Another review chided Hamer and the movie as being a dad movie, whatever that is supposed to be and called it ham-handed the way they portrayed him as good vs evil. Although they did begrudgingly say that Hamer fought against the KKK and kept several black prisoners from being lynched.
But, all in all a good movie that looks at a piece of history from the other side. A side that hadn't really been told.
Old 30 March 2019, 14:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
Just got done watching it. I thought it was a solid movie. Costner & Harrelson worked well together. It was a tad long maybe and dragged a little, but all in all I thought it was good flick.
I have to laugh at all the reviews I read that denigrated it because it 'sugar coats' Hamers sexism because he disliked Ma Ferguson as the first female Gov of Texas. They should read up on their TX history a little. While I'm sure Hamer wasn't thrilled about a woman Gov, it had nothing to do with her gender and more about her and her husband being corrupt and disbanding the Rangers. Another review chided Hamer and the movie as being a dad movie, whatever that is supposed to be and called it ham-handed the way they portrayed him as good vs evil. Although they did begrudgingly say that Hamer fought against the KKK and kept several black prisoners from being lynched.
But, all in all a good movie that looks at a piece of history from the other side. A side that hadn't really been told.
Never knew Texas had Female Governor that far back. Did some reading up on it, and as like you said corruption, disbanding Rangers, etc. lol at reviewers calling Hamer a sexist- hell, compared to today's standards just about every man was a sexist and not politically correct back in 1934!

Love the cars back then!
Old 30 March 2019, 15:38
Life is simple, not easy.

Good movie - I thought it paced well. Woody and Kostner were good in this one and it never glorified those dirtbags B + C. But man 20K show up for her funeral an 15K show up for his? Different times I suppose, and I am sure the economy had something to do with it since this was 1934.
Old 30 March 2019, 18:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
Good movie - I thought it paced well. Woody and Kostner were good in this one and it never glorified those dirtbags B + C. But man 20K show up for her funeral an 15K show up for his? Different times I suppose, and I am sure the economy had something to do with it since this was 1934.
That was the biggest takeaway for me.

Docudrama examples of humans being humans.

Times were really, really tough and many at the bottom of the economic food chain viewed murderers as Robin Hood like heroes.

Similar general population passive support happened in West Germany with Gen1 Baader Meinhoff Gang/Red Army Faction when they started robbing banks(not long after the Bonnie & Clyde movie came out) but before they went full mass murdering retard.

Glad to see the criminals werent made to be worshipped or admired by the viewer, unlike the portrayal of the general public.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 30 March 2019, 19:10
Been There Done That

Kind of Ironic role for Harrleson - since his acting in Natural Born Killers. Which was kind of a modern era Bonnie and Clyde story.
Old 30 March 2019, 22:58
Sound off for equipment check!

Glad to see justice done for Capt. Hamer. That POS 67 movie made him out to be a fool. His widow and her son Frank Jr. sued Warner-Seven Arts for defamation and received an out-of-court settlement.

An excellent biography, now out of print, is Im Frank Hamer by John Jenkins. Looks like Ill have to read the new book now, too.

Netflix tomorrow...
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes

Our new posting rules