SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 13 June 2016, 16:08
Un-confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg4139 View Post
Attempting to bump/ revive this thread as I have recently gotten hired by a state agency. 3 months or so until I begin my academy. I have been enjoying the advice given so far and will gladly read more if any of yall are willing to add.

Thanks.
Just remember you don't wear a cape or have a big "S" on your chest. Stay away from those who think they do. You're not going to save the world and are in for a big disappointment if you think you are.

LE isn't for everybody and don't be discouraged if you find out later that this isn't what you thought it would be.

Congrats on being accepted to the academy and good luck to ya.
Old 13 June 2016, 22:57
Policeman Officer

Send a message with your demeanor in every encounter. Project confidence without taking away anyone's dignity.

Passenger side approach is the way to go 90% of the time. Don't get tunnel vision and compromise your tactical advantage because you're in a hurry.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 13 June 2016, 23:05
Authorized Personnel

Always remember to serve first and then protect those that need it.

Always be the "bigger" person when you interact with people. Don't take things personal -- even when they appear to be -- because they rarely are.

Always, always, always remember that "officer safety" is a tactic and not an end result for interactions with people.

Understand that doing the "right thing" is not always popular with your co-workers. Don't let them bring you into the gray area and do the "alright thing."

Maintain your integrity at all costs and let it be known that it isn't up for grabs or for sale. Let your word be your word.

Say what you MEAN, OWN what you say, and then DO what you say! Work with HONOR and INTEGRITY. Let no one soil your reputation. It will be what separates you from amateur LEO's.

Always be professional...never let yourself get into the gutter with people.

No matter what happens...drive on....
We must march against the enemy, and teach him that he must go and get what he wants by attacking someone who will not resist him, but that men whose glory it is to be always ready to give battle for the liberty of their own country, and never unjustly to enslave that of others, will not let him go without a struggle. -- Thucydides
Old 14 June 2016, 00:23
Isiah 53

My son has been a corrections officer in a SRT unit for over 3 years and he was recently accepted to the academy for becoming a deputy in the sheriff's office. I have pointed him to this thread for the sage advice here. He is a nonSOF member/guest here... hopefully he will read and heed. I appreciate this thread and the members who contribute to it... for his sake and mine.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back. -Francis Bacon
Old 14 June 2016, 00:34
Confirmed User

I don't work in the worst place in the area but do serve on SWAT, which for us means that we travel to many jurisdictions. It took me 8 years to say I took an action due to officer safety. Don't use it as a crutch. We serve them, we serve everyone.
Old 14 June 2016, 07:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Send a message with your demeanor in every encounter. Project confidence without taking away anyone's dignity.

Passenger side approach is the way to go 90% of the time. Don't get tunnel vision and compromise your tactical advantage because you're in a hurry.
Very well said.
Old 14 June 2016, 21:08

Some sage wisdom here. Thanks guys.
Old 14 June 2016, 21:21
Policeman Officer

Also, you will work with lazy, shitty officers who will want you to be like them. Don't be like them. Be like the studs. The studs may not be apparent right away either. Also, word travels about what kind of officer you are.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 15 June 2016, 08:54
Rocket Surgeon

The notion that brotherhood trumps all else is bullshit. Know this going in. What's right is right, what's wrong is wrong, and one will not be confused or excused for the other on the basis of "brotherhood". If you can't understand this going in, find a new line of work.

Your responsibility is not to be liked by your coworkers. Your responsibility is to the community you serve. That will put you at odds with your coworkers sooner or later. This was overheard and passed on to me by a colleague at work:

Incompetent Supervisor: "Detective Believeraz is always up my ass. I can't stand him. I think he hates me. He's a dick."

Good Supervisor: If he's up your ass it's because you're not doing something you should be doing, you're incompetent, or you're lazy. Maybe you should figure out which it is, and unfuck yourself, your people and your scene before he gets there next time.
Praise from fucking Caesar.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 15 June 2016, 21:53
Authorized Personnel

Always remember that just because you can doesn't mean you should. That covers a lot of terrain.
We must march against the enemy, and teach him that he must go and get what he wants by attacking someone who will not resist him, but that men whose glory it is to be always ready to give battle for the liberty of their own country, and never unjustly to enslave that of others, will not let him go without a struggle. -- Thucydides

Last edited by Agoge; 15 June 2016 at 22:20.
Old 15 June 2016, 23:47
Confirmed User

^^^^x10. It drives me nuts when FTO programs discourage this when they know it's not what most officers do once they are on their own and have a few years under their belt.

I'm not a fan of big boots for patrol. The guys you chase after aren't normally wearing boots either.
Old 16 June 2016, 00:45
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believeraz View Post
The notion that brotherhood trumps all else is bullshit. Know this going in. What's right is right, what's wrong is wrong, and one will not be confused or excused for the other on the basis of "brotherhood". If you can't understand this going in, find a new line of work.

Your responsibility is not to be liked by your coworkers. Your responsibility is to the community you serve. That will put you at odds with your coworkers sooner or later.
Two days ago I had a friendly conversation with an off duty traffic cop who happened to be where I was hanging out (in SC). He told me a story about pulling over a driver for doing 60 through a 35 mph work zone with workers present. When he approached the suspect's vehicle, the driver commented on the officer's body camera and then handed over a card describing him as a retired NYC police officer. The driver then proceeded to explain how up north cops never ticket other cops out of professional courtesy, knowing that his comments would be recorded and reviewed. The traffic cop stated that no matter what he might have done under other circumstances for a fellow officer, those recorded comments made any leniency on his part a danger to his career, and the driver's entitled attitude disgusted him. The driver got the biggest ticket applicable. Upon leaving the scene, that driver immediately accelerated past 60, still in the work zone. The cop was all fired up to go get him, but suddenly got a call for an overturned vehicle with entrapment back in the opposite direction, so he let the offensive ex-cop go.

I noticed in an earlier post in this thread the advice to never give another policeman a ticket. I am out of my lane in this thread, but please consider the traffic cop's story when applying that advice or wishing that it would be applied to you.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 16 June 2016, 07:48
Cynical and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believeraz View Post

Incompetent Supervisor: "Detective Believeraz is always up my ass. I can't stand him. I think he hates me. He's a dick."

Good Supervisor: If he's up your ass it's because you're not doing something you should be doing, you're incompetent, or you're lazy. Maybe you should figure out which it is, and unfuck yourself, your people and your scene before he gets there next time....
On a side note- this is awesome. I love it.

If I had to leave my profession tomorrow, I have only a few things to add for newbies.

1. Don't forget why you came into the profession. Hopefully your answer wasn't "because I want to be a badass and get all the bad guys"....
2. Don't lose your heart. Remember 3, 5, 7, 10, 15 years into it.... that you are still human, and remember to behave like one. Don't let the interior politics and the decay and cynicism of our profession change you for the worse...
3. Don't forget your family, as in your actual family. This was something I had to learn the hard way as with myself and many others around me in this profession that have at least one or two divorces under the belt. An old instructor many years ago told me "when your 30 years is up and you hang that badge up one last time, consider who you will have to come home to. Because in the end, this didn't mean a God damn thing...it's the ones you love and destroyed in the process that will matter".
4. Work the road as long as you can. Everyone wants to come out of the academy and be a detective. Earn your keep. The road will make you the officer you will one day be. Spend at least 5-7 years here in a relatively busy or busy agency. In a slow agency, spend 10-12 years here... then put in for the promotion.

Be safe above all else. And keep your fellow blues safe. Don't be a coward and don't be the dumbass that gets others hurt.

Good luck.
Old 16 June 2016, 11:28
Aegar primo

You can't catch, save, or fix them all. Do your best...but don't let it follow you home.
Old 29 June 2016, 00:44
Confirmed User

Smile Endeavor to persevere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Busa View Post
You can't catch, save, or fix them all. Do your best...but don't let it follow you home.
One thing that's good to know up front: no matter where you go or how much greener the grass may look, "the cage is the same, only the squirrels change".
Old 29 June 2016, 18:34
All Labs Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero viz diver View Post
Don't write a LEO a ticket, for fucks sake. Plenty of fish in the sea.
If you are going to promote entry level corruption, at least be smart about it and not post your lack of character in public...for fuck's sake.

Seriously...most non-cops don't have an issue with a little courtesy (for example, you pull an off duty cop over who might be going a little too fast). But mindless, cart blanche attitudes like that stated above leads to the scumbags like is described below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
He told me a story about pulling over a driver for doing 60 through a 35 mph work zone with workers present. When he approached the suspect's vehicle, the driver commented on the officer's body camera and then handed over a card describing him as a retired NYC police officer. The driver then proceeded to explain how up north cops never ticket other cops out of professional courtesy...
Not only it this story believable, that cop's attitude is pervasive up here in the NE. There are many great NYPD types, but there are also many similar to douche described above. It's not everyday, but not that uncommon, to hear cops talking about the DWI's they got out of or how frequently they get out of tickets...I've personally seen off duty cops driving cars on a sidewalk and flashing a tin out his window as a trooper was pulling him over (for going about 25mph over the limit).

If you are going to provide or benefit from a little courtesy, then use some discretion. If you don't give a fuck because the rules only apply to non-cops then don't be a double-douche and act like a crybully when people (the law-abiding ones) hate on cops.
Old 29 June 2016, 18:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Harper View Post
Just remember you don't wear a cape or have a big "S" on your chest. Stay away from those who think they do. You're not going to save the world and are in for a big disappointment if you think you are.

LE isn't for everybody and don't be discouraged if you find out later that this isn't what you thought it would be.

Congrats on being accepted to the academy and good luck to ya.
I would clarify this or add to it. The reasons you get into law enforcement should be as pure as Superman's, you just want to help people. While you are not the man of steel and must understand that there are limitations, never forget the purity of purpose to just help others. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Old 14 July 2016, 19:13
Anesthetized User

Favors

Do not do them for anyone unless you have discretion, and it is in the course of your assigned duties.

That shit can be held over your head your entire career. By the citizenry, other LE and especially inmates do not under any circumstances accept or give them anything. You will always wonder when IA might come see you. You might get trapped into always doing favors that are outside the scope of your duties and established policy and procedures.

Support SOCNET.
Old 17 July 2016, 20:11
Been There Done That

Never been in Law Enforcement . But just a suggestion . If a guy / gal is unarmed Tase the fuck out of them and keep doing it until they are compliant instead of filling them with .40 cal lead.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 17 July 2016, 20:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnrgr1sg View Post
Never been in Law Enforcement . But just a suggestion . If a guy / gal is unarmed Tase the fuck out of them and keep doing it until they are compliant instead of filling them with .40 cal lead.
It's not always that simple.

Our new posting rules