SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 1 June 2017, 20:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I have to admit, several weeks ago I got a chance to fire a VP9 that one of my students had. Fired it back to back with my Glock 17. While the VP9 is a fine made pistol and I shot well with it, for me personally I preferred the Glock 17. The way the 17 sits in the hand, the re-set and the trigger just felt better to me with the Glock 17. But, very close. Accuracy, was about the same. I can see though the attraction to the VP9.

Right now though I am leaning towards Steyr's line up of handguns being the best bang for the buck out there though. And fit better in the hand for me than the Vp9. Of course, just have to get this out there, the finest made handgun ever IMHO
, was made by HK. The Hk P7m8.

Sell all your guns, and just have one Steyr AUG and one HK P7M8 and a Glock 21 and you are all set.
I need to pick up one of the P7M8s before they exceed the value of my spare kidney. I love my P7PSP, I have to believe I'd love something with a more logically placed mag release.

As for the original topic at hand, I just ordered a VP9SK with 3 mags and night sights for $662 shipped. I'll try to get a range report out and some pictures comparing it with my full size VP9 when I have some spare time (no promises when that will be as I'll be balls deep in a PCS to a state that is currently TBD).
Old 2 June 2017, 11:50
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunteran View Post
I need to pick up one of the P7M8s before they exceed the value of my spare kidney. I love my P7PSP, I have to believe I'd love something with a more logically placed mag release.

As for the original topic at hand, I just ordered a VP9SK with 3 mags and night sights for $662 shipped. I'll try to get a range report out and some pictures comparing it with my full size VP9 when I have some spare time (no promises when that will be as I'll be balls deep in a PCS to a state that is currently TBD).
Look forward to your range report.
Old 22 June 2017, 19:38
Freelancer

Coming soon to the US I hope. Optic ready model and long slide version.

http://www.heckler-koch.com/en/produ...-overview.html
Old 23 June 2017, 21:13
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Coming soon to the US I hope. Optic ready model and long slide version.
Finally! The 5" barrel VP9! Thank you for the heads-up GPC.
Old 23 June 2017, 23:50
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
Finally! The 5" barrel VP9! Thank you for the heads-up GPC.
Looks like a direct competitor to the Glock 17. I'd imagine they'd eventually get that to the US, but I don't see a huge market for it past collectors and some sport shooters.
Old 24 June 2017, 07:45
Freelancer

I'm interested in the Optic ready model.
Old 24 June 2017, 08:28
The Sagacious One

When it comes out in 45 GAP, maybe then it will be worth my time.
Old 5 July 2017, 13:57

HK VP40 making music at the range: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU4yd7qGSQg
Old 25 October 2017, 00:50

Any experience with HK VP40 handguns? Pros/cons?

Considering getting one of these for my next handgun. Background, I am a civilian, not LE and do not carry for work. But I have a carry permit and prefer to carry when applicable. I've tried more compact pistols but I gravitate back to the larger frame guns. Only thing I know about this pistol as of now is that it has a perfectly amazing feel in my hand, it just points very naturally. Feels like an extension of my arm, it's even better for me than the Springfield XDM is, and that's one of my favorites.

Just looking to see any experiences, good or bad. Thanks in advance.
Old 25 October 2017, 07:28
Corpsman Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCid92 View Post
HK VP40 making music at the range: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU4yd7qGSQg
Ask ElCid92 seems he has one. I would read the VP9 thread as the only difference is the caliber.

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=122512
Old 25 October 2017, 10:20
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

I've shot both the VP9 and the VP40. The VP40 is actually not the same size as the VP9, I would say add 10% to the VP9. My thought was that the H&K design team had learned the lesson that Glock did about just slapping .40 into a 9mm envelope.....at the same time, the VP9 is big enough already. One can only imagine what would happen sizing the VP series for .45/10mm. (Still waiting for a factory USP 10mm.... ;-)

H&K has always been wary of the .40 S&W, as they should be for a cartridge that has a pressure spike rather than a pressure curve. There were a few P7M13's in .40 made but the design team was not comfortable with the guns ability to tolerate it and so the P7M10 with a much greater slide mass was created. FN did the same with the BHP in .40.

Agree about compact guns. I carry my G17 more than my G19. The G26 sits in the safe or on the wife's bedside table with a G19 mag/grip extender in it if I'm using the '19.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 25 October 2017, 13:29

Thanks guys for info...really looking forward to getting some range time in.
Old 25 October 2017, 14:15
Moderator Weapons & H2H

VP9 LEO only in Cali...I hate this state.

Rock

What people think about me is none of my business!

Thai Boxing: The sweetest science....The most brutal fighting sport in the world...Few men are cutout for it.
So for those who are not there is always Jiu-Jitsu.

YEMX
Old 28 October 2017, 22:20
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF13 View Post
Considering getting one of these for my next handgun. Background, I am a civilian, not LE and do not carry for work. But I have a carry permit and prefer to carry when applicable. I've tried more compact pistols but I gravitate back to the larger frame guns. Only thing I know about this pistol as of now is that it has a perfectly amazing feel in my hand, it just points very naturally. Feels like an extension of my arm, it's even better for me than the Springfield XDM is, and that's one of my favorites.

Just looking to see any experiences, good or bad. Thanks in advance.
Why .40? It's a dying round. Better off with a 9mm IMHO. My LGS won't order or take forty cals in trade.
VP series are great guns you won't be disappointed.
Old 13 November 2017, 22:19
#BlackRiflesMatter

Anyone hear anything new about price/avail on the VP9L? (5") Am I just not looking hard enough?
Old 14 November 2017, 12:25
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
Anyone hear anything new about price/avail on the VP9L? (5") Am I just not looking hard enough?
I have not seen one either. I have been looking for the SK myself.
Old 15 November 2017, 15:48
Chuck Norris Approved

I have the VP9SK. Little shorter than the G19 and littler longer than the G26 for size comparison. Comes with one pinky extended mag and one flush base fit magazine. It shoots just as good as the full size and accepts all magazine sizes to include the 30 round magazine. Nothing bad to say about it.
Old 22 March 2018, 15:56
One jump chump

I just picked up a VP9SK for carrying after trying out a few different options in its class by Sig P320), Glock (19), SA/XD, and FN (FNS-9).
I made the mistake of holding the HK first. It's incredibly comfortable in hand and made most of the others feel blocky and cheap.
The trigger felt better than any of the other striker fired options I tried, especially the FN. Crisp with a decent reset, much shorter than the P30SK.
I opted for the standard sights as they actually made acquisition easier for me than the night sights. I'm beginning to have front sight acquisition issues (getting older) and the front sight popped for me.
So far so good... I'm looking forward to spending more time with it on the range.

“An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.”
Old 2 April 2018, 11:23
Freelancer

^^^ Probably my next purchase. Unless I find one hiking.
Old 3 April 2018, 09:13

I bought a VP9 a few months ago. I have to say it feels and shoots great, but...I've had a few problems with it. First, the slide catch wasn't catching very well. It would lock open on empty mags, but the slide would drop when I released the mag. I ended up taking a file to the slide catch where it meets with the slide, and making a little flatter surface for it to mate with. That took care of that. Second, if you look at the top of the trigger, there is a metal and plastic "loop" that the trigger pin goes through. The plastic one broke, and was open instead of being closed. The trigger still worked. Rather than go through the warranty process, I ordered a new trigger from HKParts, and installed it. I have since put in a Lobos trigger, which I personally like better. I have a P7 PSP and an M13 that I love, but I can't say I was overly impressed with the build quality of the VP9.

Our new posting rules