SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 26 January 2018, 11:36
Bitter old man.

The Gear over Training Mentality.

I have really been noticing this trend lately. A good majority of folks are really caught up in gear will make me a better shooter mentality. I have seen people with an entry level AR with more in accessories than they paid for the rifle.

Example younger friend of mine buys an AR. He ask me for advice on what optics etc. My reply " Buy some mags,ammo and a cleaning kit. Learn the Irons." He gave me look like I killed his puppy. I have also had first time handgun buyers insist they need to send a Glock to SAI etc. instead of shooting it for a while. Try to tell these folks for a novice shooter a stock weapon will serve them well until they figure out what they want.

Most folks don't need a $3k AR more like a $1k AR and $2k in training. Seems like I'm in the minority with this way of thinking.

The part that concerns me is some folks will maybe shoot one mag through a weapon then buy a cheap holster and CCW it. No shit I met a dude who had been carrying his Bersa for six months before he shot it. The POS wouldn't fire one mag without a malfunction.Which he had no clue what to do.

How do we go about combating this mentality? I tells folks tattoos,beards and cool guy stuff doesn't win fights.
I kinda blame the personality cults on you tube for some of this.

I'm sure LE and Mil have some of this mentality also.

Getting like the A-team at the range. Bullets flying nothing getting hit.
Old 26 January 2018, 11:45
Just A "Less-Than"

I don't think there is any way to eliminate the cool guy factor as long as a war is going on and the "military" look is cool.

I actually went to a qualification a while ago and had a guy on the side of me with an AR, ACOG, and Bi-Pod. Get this...we were only shooting from 50 yards at that time. I had a cold rifle with iron sights. He qualified by two points above the minimum and couldn't understand it. Myself and the guy on the other side of him max it out and he can't understand.

The dude is a gun-junky nerd with absolutely no shooting ability and truly believes the equipment makes the shooter.

Chalk another victim up to the cool-guy side!
Old 26 January 2018, 12:33
Unemployed Stunt Double

Pat Macnamara has some good things to say about "Train as you fight."
Old 26 January 2018, 12:59
Confirmed User

Gear is only as effective as the skill level of the person using it, maintaining it and carrying it.
Old 26 January 2018, 14:38
Administrator

I like the people who argue over who's sling is better or more tactical. lol
Old 26 January 2018, 14:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I have really been noticing this trend lately. A good majority of folks are really caught up in gear will make me a better shooter mentality. I have seen people with an entry level AR with more in accessories than they paid for the rifle.

Example younger friend of mine buys an AR. He ask me for advice on what optics etc. My reply " Buy some mags,ammo and a cleaning kit. Learn the Irons." He gave me look like I killed his puppy. I have also had first time handgun buyers insist they need to send a Glock to SAI etc. instead of shooting it for a while. Try to tell these folks for a novice shooter a stock weapon will serve them well until they figure out what they want.

Most folks don't need a $3k AR more like a $1k AR and $2k in training. Seems like I'm in the minority with this way of thinking.

The part that concerns me is some folks will maybe shoot one mag through a weapon then buy a cheap holster and CCW it. No shit I met a dude who had been carrying his Bersa for six months before he shot it. The POS wouldn't fire one mag without a malfunction.Which he had no clue what to do.

How do we go about combating this mentality? I tells folks tattoos,beards and cool guy stuff doesn't win fights.
I kinda blame the personality cults on you tube for some of this.

I'm sure LE and Mil have some of this mentality also.

Getting like the A-team at the range. Bullets flying nothing getting hit.
Cory and Erikas fault......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 26 January 2018, 14:52
Been There Done That

Good post GPC.

Old 26 January 2018, 15:44

IMO --- It's an offshoot of the modern peacock syndrome. For the average civvie, who goes to the range and shoots paper from a bench or maybe takes a 2-day carbine class at the most in his life, they see all the guys that are masters of their craft (Movies, YouTube videos with the big trainers) using certain weapons/gear/equipment/flashy equip and therefore associate all that gear with equating being a rockstar with the gun. So to mimick this, they too buy all the flashy bling bling so that when they go to the range with that stuff they hope that people will see them as the same type of BAMF. That they probably know what they're doing because that other person saw a real pro with the same setup. Conversely, anyone who has a rifle with irons is probably not a good person to talk to about guns/tactics/etc because "they don't have a $5k HK416 they got from HKParts.net --so they probably don't know anything".

Just like how suburbanites will willingly go into crippling debt to get that flashy BMW/etc they can park in the driveway to give off the "look at how successful I am!" vibe to the neighbors. Similar to the people who post on social media what they WANT their lives to be (selfies at the beach, 'look at me here at a club I'm so popular!', etc) --- meanwhile their real lives are nothing to brag about and they hate their job and live their mediocre lives just like every single other person in the tri-state area in their particular demographic. It's all about image, not real substance. Same thing as the range warriors.

The real story is that the pros are masters of the fundamentals and have evolved to the point that the cool toys are simply enhancing and making their finely honed skills as sharp as possible. They were masters before they got all the gear, not the other way around. People are always looking for shortcuts to being a 'top performer' whether in the business world or whatever their recreational hobby is. So when you tell them to start with the basics, they get angry because 'it's not supposed to be that way'. They want the Ferarri to turn them into the race car driver --- and not be a race car driver first who then gets a Ferarri.
Old 26 January 2018, 15:52
Another pool cleaner

There's nothing modern about it.

It's always been there.

Whether wooden spear, bone axe, bronze sword, steel mace, muzzle loader, semi-auto, plasma rifle, etc, tools will evolve.

Skills will also.

I'm glad there a shit ton of dudes with shiny gear. I'll have good pickings should the need arise.
Old 26 January 2018, 15:53
Been There Done That

Well , you buy me a Ferrari, I can guarantee you I will be a better driver in a month or two.

Old 26 January 2018, 15:55
Been There Done That

Now as far as optics go, I need them. No more irons for me as cannot see them.

Old 26 January 2018, 15:56

Haha, I think when you buy a Lambo or similar supercar (for the first time) the dealers usually make you take a special class on how to drive it because people often wreck the damn things fairly early on because they simply cannot handle all the power. It's an entirely different class of vehicle than what 99% of all people have ever experienced.

At least that's what I read. Probably not going to be something I experience in my life, but who knows.......
Old 26 January 2018, 16:04
Confirmed User

My first, and go to AR is a Del-Ton with a Tru-Glo red dot. My one shooting buddy laughs at it (and me) but I hit baseballs at 100yds with it as his 50yd target looks like he is testing a new choke on his shotgun instead of the Daniel Defense with ACOG, lights, laser, and grip pod. I'm not a gunslinger so I don't need gunslinger gear.
Old 26 January 2018, 16:20
Anesthetized User

To paraphrase SOTB:

Ammo, ammo, ammo. Trigger time, trigger time, trigger time.

To keep my skills up I put together a 10/22 Target, 10K of CCI Mini-Mags and started shooting Appleseed events.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)

Last edited by Expatmedic; 26 January 2018 at 16:27.
Old 26 January 2018, 16:27
Administrator

As a good friend once said...."Everybody wants to be an Operator and wear all the cool kit, but nobody wants to walk 40 miles."
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 26 January 2018, 16:28
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Now as far as optics go, I need them. No more irons for me as cannot see them.
You have the experience to make an informed purchase. Unlike others who figure if it works for so an so, it should work for me.

My one friend thought it was odd I drove to my shooting spot wearing Poly plates. I explained to him as they are thicker I wanted to see how it would effect my driving. He couldn't grasp that SHTF is not the time to adjust gear. Learned that in Iraq. Spent a lot of down time tweaking my kit for different positions in the vehicle. And finding the best place to tape a maglight to my weapon.

SB, I remember when tan 3 point slings were the shit in 04-05 lol.
Old 26 January 2018, 16:33
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
My first, and go to AR is a Del-Ton with a Tru-Glo red dot. My one shooting buddy laughs at it (and me) but I hit baseballs at 100yds with it as his 50yd target looks like he is testing a new choke on his shotgun instead of the Daniel Defense with ACOG, lights, laser, and grip pod. I'm not a gunslinger so I don't need gunslinger gear.
Good post, I seen dudes who can do a mag flip like a champ. But can't insert a fresh one.

Sounds like he needs a rearview mirror on his rifle. So he can check his 6 and hair.

Last edited by GPC; 26 January 2018 at 16:48.
Old 26 January 2018, 17:03
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
As a good friend once said...."Everybody wants to be an Operator and wear all the cool kit, but nobody wants to walk 40 miles."
Truth.

I was at an outdoor range and there were two rather portly fellows shooting. One had an AR with more attachments than Sharkys vibrator, and wearing a plate carrier complete with plates. And don't forget the flag baseball hat. Fuckers couldn't hit the target at 25 yards.
Old 26 January 2018, 17:16
Über Equus Asinus

This is not a new trend at all...

I attended a considerable amount of private sector and LEO training from the late 80's to the early 2000's..

Long before you even had access to "flat top" AR15's or the early rail systems as an option you had guys strapping 2 tons of crap to their rifles, swapping out red dot optics every time something "new" hit the market, trading out white lights every time a company came out with something smaller, lighter, brighter, more durable, etc.. guys changing from single point to 2 point to 3 point slings like they change socks and underwear, etc..

I saw a SIGNIFICANT number of people who were far more focused on letting "stuff" improve their skills and abilities rather than working on the fundamentals of shooting, fitness, etc.. that would have made them faster/more accurate/more consistent, etc..

and that was 25+ years ago..
Old 26 January 2018, 17:18
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
How do we go about combating this mentality?
Haha! You Can/t. It'd be like combating the present thing with the Gender Identity stuff.

There are only a certain amount of folks that are willing to change their way of thinking.

Whats that thing said around these parts? Don't tell guys how to shoot, drive or procreate? something like that.. . .LOL

Women IME & IMO are more apt to self-adjust in the gun realm only because they do not consider 'shootin' guns' a birthright like so many-many men do.

As for YT, a decent/nice guy reviewed a piece of my gear on his channel, he did a great job. But he'd no sooner uploaded that Video and I was getting e-mails asking me if I could make one of those for them, but make it like such and such and so and so, in other words; change the thing up totally and copy someone elses shit and of course make it cheap too.

And Before any YouTubers get all stuffy, there are plenty of folks that have found me thru there and are more like the folks I find on SOCNET, and to those folks I am grateful. I use YT to disperse information and not to entertain folks. #notacultofpersonality

Our new posting rules