SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 18 February 2018, 23:46
Unemployed Stunt Double

If you look at ballistics charts, .357 and .44 Mags out of a 16” barrel compare quite well to 30-30, but with much higher capacity.

I would not carry JHP .357 or .44 Mags in a rifle. Most JHP bullets are designed for much slower velocities, and do not perform well in flight or on target. Better to stick with hard cast SWC.
Old 19 February 2018, 00:30
BTDT

240 JSP performs well in a .44 carbine

No experience with the .357 but I do like my 44 mag. Later this year I am going to try out some Leverevolution 225 to see how it does. For the most part, I have always stuck to the 240-JHP/JSP
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 19 February 2018, 00:34
Confirmed User

I saw those same charts. I was on the fence about 16" or 20" barrel for her. Seems like it'll come down to personal preference for her. Most people say the extra capacity and balance sell the 20 but the 16 is handy and easy to carry. Doesn't seem to get much more velocity out of a 20 vs 16 (.357).
Old 19 February 2018, 00:37
Unemployed Stunt Double

For hunting, I like the 20” barrel. A 16” lever gun makes a great truck gun...so, buy both!
Old 19 February 2018, 08:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Find a used Savage Model 99 lever action in .243. Most had rotary magazines (a few had detachable box mags) so you can even use pointed rounds.

Doesn't hold ten rounds though.
I've been on the hunt for one of those myself. Great rifle, but would rather have another caliber. .300 Savage. Haven't found one yet in that great of condition.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 19 February 2018, 11:13
Make a desert and call it peace.

44 Mag is a handful in a pistol; it's a pussycat in a carbine(caveat, stock design must not suck)

The default 240gn JHP pistol bullet sucks in rifle velocity 44 Mag; too fragile IME, (for hunting, for people, probably just fine). Use good bullets (partition, bonded etc) or go to 270-300gn JHP's. I've been very happy with the 270gn Gold Dot and the 300gn XTP over a healthy amount of Win 296/H110. I use the 270 Gold Dot with 21.5 Win 296/H110 from my Ruger Deerslayer and get 1550fps, temp dependent.

Hard cast ogival flatpoints or Keith SWC's are also great, but make sure they feed.

I'm told that older guns do not do well with the heavy bullets, due to slower twist rate that was previously used, but I have no experience there. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 19 February 2018, 13:11
exquisitus asinus

A little late to the fight here.. but I would strongly recommend the .44 over the .357 (although I love both!)..

The first rifle I ever built for my son was a little .44 mag single shot.. he was 11 years old and had zero problem shooting the gun with full power loads.. the rifle I built him was lighter than a .44 lever gun.. he was maybe 100lbs soaking wet back then.. and recoil wasnt an issue at all.. I dont see your itty bitty wife having any problems managing a .44 mag in a carbine..

If she is in fact interested in hunting, a .357 will take down an NC deer.. but.. its marginal.. and shot placement is going to be critical.. there will be very little room for error unless you find tracking a wounded deer that has run 200+ yards before laying down to die acceptable..

NC also has hogs, bear, and now has an elk season too (although the chance of getting a tag is negligible from what I understand)..

a .44 mag would be suitable for all of those critters..

a .357 mag, not so much...
Old 19 February 2018, 16:19
Not a ninja...

If you can, shoot before you buy. I have the 16" Rossi, in .357 and depending on load, the recoil can be sharp. I haven't tried the .44. A steel butt plate doesn't give very much. As for the .357 vs .44 on hunting.. Yes the .44 has more energy, but shot placement is always key. If she is flinching due to recoil, the extra energy on target won't matter.
Old 19 February 2018, 19:02
Confirmed User

I know there was a thread a while back on teaching family members how to shoot and how that should basically be contracted out to someone they'll listen to.. aka anyone but you!

We don't have that option so I've been teaching her dry fire in an attempt to get the anticipation down. It's getting better but we are going very slow. She shoots our .22 Savage perfectly but is intimidated by the other calibers because they "can kill things"... Wonder how she thinks I kill squirrels, raccoons, opossums, and other nuisance creatures?

Still looking for a way to get her hands on both and hopefully shoot them too but there seems to be a huge shortage of lever guns lately (did I miss something?).

I'm considering selling my 458 since I already have a 45/70 and using that to fund a "buy them both" mentality! It's all coming down to what she feels comfortable with and she may shock us all..The women we marry are crazy like that sometimes.
Old 19 February 2018, 19:16
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChai View Post
I know there was a thread a while back on teaching family members how to shoot and how that should basically be contracted out to someone they'll listen to.. aka anyone but you!
^ The 11th commandment

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChai View Post
We don't have that option
None of your bros can take her to the range?
Old 19 February 2018, 20:15
Confirmed User

None of the guys I hang out with shoot. The only one that does is across the pond currently and won't be back for a bit longer. I'm the "gun guy" in our group and it seems nobody has time for honing that skill anymore.

However, she is taking my,limited, instruction well and her goal is to get comfortable enough to go to an actual course, thinking Green Ops, sometime in the not so distant future. She has rather embraced her role as backup defender of the family which is what spawned this new found interest in getting her own setup.

Hunting is second on that list. She has fallen in love with deer meat and it just hit her today that I won't be here for this season and she's either gonna have to figure it out or go without. She's leaning more towards figuring it out, thankfully. Been going over the details and taking her back in our woods to show her the basics of stand hunting. The place where she would hunt is owned by a friend that will teach her how to field dress and butcher.
Old 19 February 2018, 20:28
exquisitus asinus

If she is looking for another woman to hunt with while youre gone, hit me up with a PM..

We're in TX.. but my wife and I have hunts planned in NC this season (near the VA border).. or, she is welcome to make a trip out here and I'm sure my wife would be happy to show her the ropes and help put her on a nice deer..

My wife is also the Hunting Director for an all womens shooting club (about 4,000 members across the US) and arranges 4-5 all womens hunts a year.. they usually do an organized teal (duck) hunt, deer hunt, turkey hunt, and mallard (duck) hunt every year.. and then will throw in a hog, or another deer, or something else once a year as well.. they're also talking about doing an international hunt once a year starting next year..

typically they have 6-10 women show up for each of the hunts.. they'll fill up a hunt camp or a lodge somewhere with just their group... some of the women have as much as 30-40 years of experience.. others have literally never hunted before in their lives.. its a pretty easy/low pressure way for a lady to get exposed to hunting without having the husband/boyfriend/dad, etc looming over their shoulder telling them everything they are doing wrong.. they also seem to have a really good time together...
Old 19 February 2018, 23:10
Been There Done That

Alabama has and outdoors Woman program given twice a year. The program fills up quick. Only thing is I believe you have to be 18. The program went for almost 10 years and no one knew about it.
The instructors are women, fish and game officials, archery instructors, ATV/SxS instructors. Pretty sweet little program. Some of the same women try to go back each time to pick up a different skill set.

BOW is a three-day workshop designed for women ages 18 years or older who would like to learn new outdoor skills. The workshop offers hands-on instruction in a fun, outdoor learning environment. Participants choose from courses such as rifle, pistol, archery, fishing, camping, hiking, canoeing, mountain biking, and many more.

Even with my #2 daughter growing up outdoors and on the farm she loved it.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 19 February 2018, 23:20
Six Minutes!

Whatever you decide on, go here:

http://www.gunstockcover.com/

and put a buttstock cover on it. Really helped my 16" Rossi 45 Colt (with heavy high pressure handloads) tame the felt recoil. The leather quality is awesome too, and allows a no-drill sling option.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —

"Just remember son, 80% of the people in this world are fucking idiots"- My Dad
Old 19 February 2018, 23:26
The Sagacious One

Hey I just remembered the Ruger Deer Slayer. Its a short carbine in 44 mag, semi-auto sweet little shooter. I have one and just found it in the back of my safe.

Old 20 February 2018, 08:53
exquisitus asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Hey I just remembered the Ruger Deer Slayer. Its a short carbine in 44 mag, semi-auto sweet little shooter.
+1

I forgot about those little carbines as well..

Great gun...

could be a good alternative option..
Old 20 February 2018, 10:45
Unemployed Stunt Double

They also made the Ruger Model 96, a lever-action .44 Mag. Good gun, but somewhat expensive and hard-to-find.
Old 20 February 2018, 10:58
exquisitus asinus

Forgot about that one!

Just checked gunbroker.. cheapest one available is "buy it now" for $999

Would love to add one of those to the collection.. but not for a grand..
Old 20 February 2018, 18:36
Make a desert and call it peace.

The Ruger 96 was an OK gun, but nothing great. I'd take the bolt action 44 Mag 77/44 all week long and twice on Sunday vs the lever version. The new Deerslayer uses the same rotary mag that the 77/44 and M96 use, which is different than the old Deerslayer, which was tube magazine.

The Miroku made(IIRC) Winchester 94/92's in 44 Mag are very very nice guns. Kinda pricy, but quality. My younger brother had one in 45LC, and I still MF him all the time because he sold it to someone other than me. S/F.....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 21 February 2018, 09:30
Confirmed User

Well we can eliminate Henry's. She didn't like the way they were fed or felt. So down to Marlin, Ruger and Rossi. We have a buddy that is going to let her see a Marlin this weekend so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks everyone for the opportunities you've suggested for her. She's interested in a few of them but with 4 kids and myself prepping for an extended, all expenses paid vacation, she's not sure if she wants to do anything this year or not. Fair enough, I said. However, I'll follow up with y'all if she decides she wants to jump in.

Y'all have given me a ton of information and I appreciate that. Of course now I've added a gun or two to my list of "wants".

Our new posting rules