SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 20 February 2018, 07:15
Been There Done That

Pistol vs Bear

Pretty good article for those of you in bear country. This article has incidents since 1987 where a handgun was used as self defense vs Bear by caliber.

My AO I only have to worry about the occasional black bear. Most problem bears I have had to deal with is early spring when they're just coming out of hibernation and not much greenage around to munch on yet. And the occasional problem bear the DNR will relocate near my area. Didn't know whether this was a better fit here or the hunting section.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...ts-by-caliber/

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 20 February 2018, 10:13
Confirmed User

I remember hearing of a recent study (I think by AK fish and game) that was saying for most that bear spray was a more effective means of protection than a pistol. I rarely dip into grizzly country but if I was hunting there I would have both.
Old 20 February 2018, 10:33
Unemployed Stunt Double

I posted a whole bunch on this a few years back (the posts about the bear I killed when I was a cop in AK).

Bottom line is 1) bear spray is ineffective and you should not allow anyone convince you to otherwise (no matter who they work for), and 2) you do not want to engage a brown/grizzly/polar bear with a pistol, any pistol, in any caliber. People have successfully defended themselves against brown/grizzly/polar bears with pistols, and bear spray, just as people have dissuaded a Great White shark by punching it in the eye. Works...sometimes. Comparing effectivenesss of bear spray and pistols is like discussing what's more effective, striking the shark with a closed fist vs a judo chop.

When I am in black bear areas, I sometimes carry just a handgun. When I am in an area owned by other bears, I carry a .45-70.
Old 20 February 2018, 13:47
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
When I am in black bear areas, I sometimes carry just a handgun. When I am in an area owned by other bears, I carry a .45-70.
Every so often we have visitors that will bring a .357 or .45 (occasionally a .44) along for bears, so I make sure to remind them to file the front sight off, as recommended by ADFG.
Old 20 February 2018, 14:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Every so often we have visitors that will bring a .357 or .45 (occasionally a .44) along for bears, so I make sure to remind them to file the front sight off, as recommended by ADFG.

I recall that exact recommendation!

I have spent a lot of years in bear country hunting and fishing. I prefer a 12 gauge with 3" slugs, but would take a .44 over the spray any day. I've had the spray in hand with a woofing/popping sow in spitting distance, and would have traded a testical for my revolver in that moment.

The spray works pretty good on moose though.
Old 20 February 2018, 14:40
Über Equus Asinus

Quote:
When I am in an area owned by other bears, I carry a .45-70.
+Juan

or a 12 gauge pump loaded with breneke slugs..
Old 20 February 2018, 15:11
Old Scroll

What's up with the front sight being filed down... so you can (attempt) to cram the inadequate to the task pistol's muzzle down the bear's maw without any snags?

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 20 February 2018, 15:37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
What's up with the front sight being filed down... so you can (attempt) to cram the inadequate to the task pistol's muzzle down the bear's maw without any snags?
So it doesn't hurt you so bad when the bear in question shoves it right up your ass.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 20 February 2018, 16:34
Confirmed User

I can't remember the show but it was about guiding on Kodiak, the guides-in-training had to pass a test where they had to shoot at a 55-gall drum coming at them on a zip line. If they couldn't get off so many hits before the barrel reached them they failed, and in the bush got themselves and client eaten by the bear.
Old 20 February 2018, 16:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
I posted a whole bunch on this a few years back (the posts about the bear I killed when I was a cop in AK).

Bottom line is 1) bear spray is ineffective and you should not allow anyone convince you to otherwise (no matter who they work for), and 2) you do not want to engage a brown/grizzly/polar bear with a pistol, any pistol, in any caliber. People have successfully defended themselves against brown/grizzly/polar bears with pistols, and bear spray, just as people have dissuaded a Great White shark by punching it in the eye. Works...sometimes. Comparing effectivenesss of bear spray and pistols is like discussing what's more effective, striking the shark with a closed fist vs a judo chop.

What did you put that bear down with?

Old 20 February 2018, 17:06
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

The people whose pistols did not stop the bear from eating them did not survive to file reports that would influence the statistics listed above.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 20 February 2018, 17:26
Been There Done That

In July a few years ago I had a tagged, problem bear that DNR relocated in my area. I kept my chicken feed on the back deck of my house. Once that fucker found it, it was on. Almost every evening & night. At the time all I had was a 9mm SIG. I had other weapons as well, but would go out and pop a couple of rounds in the air. He would just scurry off in the woods about 50m and wait on me to go back inside. Then back he came. I went nocturnal for about 2 weeks, even moved my feed. Then one night he tore my sliding screen from my double doors off of my back deck.

I called DNR several times. They finally put one of those big ass tube like traps in the backyard, baited it with doughnuts & bacon. The DNR guy said he had already been relocated twice, so he would get put down if caught. He was wise to the traps and they removed it after 5 days. He told me not to use the 9mm as he had seen .40 cals (their issue weapons) not stop one.

He kept a coming.

I heard someone put a 12 Ga slug in his belly and was never seen again.

Old 20 February 2018, 17:39
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
What did you put that bear down with?
My first shot, a 1 1/4 oz slug, killed him, but he didn't know it. Took another fatal slug, but he didn't know that one killed him, either. I put him down with a few rounds of magnum buck to the head at close...and closer...and OH SHIT range.
Old 20 February 2018, 17:45
Administrator

Quote:
My first shot, a 1 1/4 oz slug, killed him, but he didn't know it. Took another fatal slug, but he didn't know that one killed him, either. I put him down with a few rounds of magnum buck to the head at close...and closer...and OH SHIT range.
Was that a Brown, a Griz or what?

-ZZ Top
Old 20 February 2018, 17:47
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Was that a Brown, a Griz or what?
Nope...just a particularly large and petulant black bear.
Old 20 February 2018, 17:51
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
So it doesn't hurt you so bad when the bear in question shoves it right up your ass.
That was going to be my guess.
Old 20 February 2018, 18:01
Administrator

Quote:
Nope...just a particularly large and petulant black bear.

Oh....no wonder you didn't specify what kind it was. Hell I thought it was something serious.

-ZZ Top
Old 20 February 2018, 18:05
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Oh....no wonder you didn't specify what kind it was. Hell I thought it was something serious.
Nope, just a run-of-the-mill black bear that took a dim view of dying. Shotgun slugs against a brownie...not sure that would work too well, hence why I carry a .45-70. Slugs don't generally penetrate anywhere near deep enough to kill a brownie, griz, or polar bear.
Old 20 February 2018, 18:33

Word I've heard from colleagues is that Forest Service dudes are required to carry .375 H&H Mag up there in AK whenever they go out in the field. Mandatory.
Old 20 February 2018, 18:39
Confirmed User

All you need is a 22. pistol, a friend with you an a good pair of running shoes.

1. first you shoot your friend in the leg,where he can't out run you, put your running shoes on run like hell, an report that your ex-friend has been killed an eaten by a Bear.

The devil made me write this.

Our new posting rules