SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 1 March 2018, 04:44
Crisis Management

Seen a smaller black bear taken down with a single shot to the head from a Glock 22
Old 1 March 2018, 06:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon View Post
Seen a smaller black bear taken down with a single shot to the head from a Glock 22
Your one State north of me. Our estimated black bear population is near 10,000.

Last year hunters killed 3160 bears. 109 in my county, down by about 30 from 2016.

Various split seasons include bow, gun and with dogs. The DNR does a good job of adjusting seasons/regulations based on survey and previous season kills, etc.

This doesn't include the many hit by autos.

The thing is you never know if your going to run across the scrawny 150 lb male run off by mama so she can breed again. Or the massive 733 lb bruin killed in my County in 2005.

I pack for the latter.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 1 March 2018, 10:12
Not a ninja...

Severed? How was he not a para / quadriplegic? Like broken spine, ok with the spinal cord intact.. And maybe the cord was severed during movement? Then he dropped?

I'm not a med professional though.
Old 1 March 2018, 11:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimja View Post
Severed? How was he not a para / quadriplegic? Like broken spine, ok with the spinal cord intact.. And maybe the cord was severed during movement? Then he dropped?

I'm not a med professional though.
It was a standoff at a house. The spinal cord was severed during movement as he charged the police. He was lit up like a Christmas tree and was able to make it from his front door to the squad cars. He was dead as soon as he hit the ground if I remember correctly. The interesting part is how he was able to cover about 30 feet without a spine. The muscles must have kept firing without input from the brain. I wonder how fucked up his body chemistry had to be for that to happen.

The purpose of the case study was to illustrate that anything can happen and to not rely on expectations when using lethal force. It was during this period of instruction that we discussed psychological reactions to being shot like jumping or falling backwards due to preconceived notions set by the film industry. Most humans fall forward, ankles may cross when dead or dying etc.
Old 1 March 2018, 14:34
Been There Done That

When I was stationed in Alaska, I asked an old sourdough what he carried for bears when fishing- this seems the most likely time for bear/human interaction.

He told me he carried a Mossberg 500 with 2 birdshot (#8) rounds then 3 slug rounds.

I asked why the birdshot? he told me the first was to try to scare off the bear and the second was to shoot him in the face to bloody/blind him; he said that although a bear has bad eyesight, its sense of smell is very keen (his word). He said if he had to shoot the bear with the birdshot, he'd be able to place his kill shots better so he didn't mess up the hide...

I honestly couldn't tell if he was pulling my leg or not but he had a pretty nice bearskin rug in front of both of his fireplaces in his lodge...
Old 1 March 2018, 19:13
Crisis Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Your one State north of me. Our estimated black bear population is near 10,000.

Last year hunters killed 3160 bears. 109 in my county, down by about 30 from 2016.

Various split seasons include bow, gun and with dogs. The DNR does a good job of adjusting seasons/regulations based on survey and previous season kills, etc.

This doesn't include the many hit by autos.

The thing is you never know if your going to run across the scrawny 150 lb male run off by mama so she can breed again. Or the massive 733 lb bruin killed in my County in 2005.

I pack for the latter.
Holy Crap!!

We have bear sightings about as often Bigfoot sightings and if they are bears they are almost always small. In fact, the one I saw killed with the pistol had just escaped a half ass private zoo.
Old 1 March 2018, 19:35
Not a ninja...

Interesting.
Old 1 March 2018, 20:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon View Post
Holy Crap!!

We have bear sightings about as often Bigfoot sightings and if they are bears they are almost always small. In fact, the one I saw killed with the pistol had just escaped a half ass private zoo.

The Squatches aren't a threat. Got them too. I don't think much about the bears either. But the fucking Timber Rattlers, I keep a watchful eye.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 1 March 2018, 22:04
Bitter old man.

Bears are weird, seen them stand their ground with dogs. But haul ass from a cat. My buddies cat had a black bear tree'd for most of the day last year.
Old 20 March 2018, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the 10mm. I like that Glock has a 10mm. I will start looking into it. The one draw back is that I have POTUS Trump size small hands :)
I suffer from the same issue. My solution was to use a flat trigger, however the slidebite made my hand look like I had a vampiric midget living under my bed sucking my lifeblood from between my thumb and index finger. I therefore cut the medium grip extension that provides a beavertail and much relief for my feeble hand; just needed some dremel sanding to blend it in with the rest of the grip. I can provide a picture if you like.
Old 20 March 2018, 22:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
I suffer from the same issue. My solution was to use a flat trigger, however the slidebite made my hand look like I had a vampiric midget living under my bed sucking my lifeblood from between my thumb and index finger. I therefore cut the medium grip extension that provides a beavertail and much relief for my feeble hand; just needed some dremel sanding to blend it in with the rest of the grip. I can provide a picture if you like.
I'd like to see that picture. Got the same small hand issue and use the beavertail for the same reason.When funds and time allow I'll either have it reduced or do it myself but this sounds like a great workaround until then.
Old 20 March 2018, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChai View Post
I'd like to see that picture. Got the same small hand issue and use the beavertail for the same reason.When funds and time allow I'll either have it reduced or do it myself but this sounds like a great workaround until then.
Looks like I cannot post a picture; not sure how to solve that. I can email it if you send a pm with an address.
Old 20 March 2018, 22:22
Confirmed User

PM sent
Old 20 March 2018, 22:34

Quote:
PM sent
Picture sent; please feel free to post on this thread if you can.
Old 21 March 2018, 11:21
Confirmed User

Let's see how this goes...

Old 21 March 2018, 12:09

Quote:
Let's see how this goes...

NC, thanks for posting for me; inadequate by Gavinís standards, but Iíll go down squealing The masochist in me is thinking I need a suppressor front sight post, based on previous posts...
Old 21 March 2018, 15:58
Confirmed User

No worries, thanks for sending it!
Old 21 March 2018, 17:44
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Bears are weird, seen them stand their ground with dogs. But haul ass from a cat. My buddies cat had a black bear tree'd for most of the day last year.
Who could ever forget Jack the Cat, treeing that black bear?

Old 23 March 2018, 15:09
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Who could ever forget Jack the Cat, treeing that black bear?

That's some funny shit.
Old 23 March 2018, 19:29
Deplorable

That is F'n hilarious - wow.
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper

Our new posting rules