SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Post Exchange

Old 25 September 2018, 15:47
Anesthetized User

1984 Topps John Elway Rookie

I have been collecting since I was about 5, early ‘70’s. I have a lot of very nice cards and sets which for the most part I am giving away.

This card was obtained by me mid ‘80’s from a wax pack.

4 sharp corners and well centered. From a time when no one cared about the quality of cards.

Buy it for your self, give it to your kids, wife, whoever.

These are selling for 45-50 bucks.

I’ll pay for shipping if you send SOCNET some funds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DC2658F1-62C7-4A98-9B1E-F70253428189.jpeg (78.3 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpeg BC353D52-4A64-4B96-892E-89005324036E.jpeg (70.9 KB, 241 views)

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 26 September 2018, 12:15
Authorized Personnel

I think Eltrane collects these. I just texted him.
Old 26 September 2018, 12:19
shiver me timbers

Yup. I’m in.
Old 26 September 2018, 13:08
Authorized Personnel

I recall having matching, rookie year, Micky Mantle baseball cards acting as motor noise. Matching wooden close pins holding those Mickey Mantle cards on the frame of my 20 inch Huffy. The sound was only good for about two blocks and the spokes would wear the snappy sound down enough that you grabbed another set of 'worthless' cards. Should be a thread of things you should not of done.
Old 26 September 2018, 13:17
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
I recall having matching, rookie year, Micky Mantle baseball cards acting as motor noise. Matching wooden close pins holding those Mickey Mantle cards on the frame of my 20 inch Huffy. The sound was only good for about two blocks and the spokes would wear the snappy sound down enough that you grabbed another set of 'worthless' cards. Should be a thread of things you should not of done.
1951 Topps set. At one point that card was listed at about 25K. I ate the gum and saved my cards.

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 26 September 2018, 13:18
Anesthetized User

Going to Eltrane.

Old 26 September 2018, 19:33
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
4 sharp corners and well centered. From a time when no one cared about the quality of cards.
I know quite a few wound up being attached to clothespins and placed near spokes on bicycles.

I remember when card collecting went into overdrive and card shops were popping up all over the place. Like the tulip craze in Holland, the bottom finally fell out.

I don't know what the market looks like these days, most collectors of sports memorabilia go for items that were used, possessed or awarded to players. Roadshow had a guy on awhile back that had Red Sox championship lapel pins and cuff links from the turn of the century (back before rings became the big thing), they were valued at well over $100,000.
Old 27 September 2018, 06:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
That's why the old ones are worth so much; no one ever thought they'd be of value. Now days, with the manufacturers churning them out in the millions, sealed and packaged to sit on the shelf for 20 years, they'll never be as valuable.
Old 27 September 2018, 17:33
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

The ones that really hit the jackpot were those obscure tobacco baseball cards from around the turn of last century. I recall somebody bringing in a shitload of pristine cards from baseball's earliest days, most of which hadn't seen the light of day from almost the time they were made.
Old 2 October 2018, 13:39
Darwin Award Presenter

Quote:
Plus one on this, except being from Pittsburgh, mine was Roberto Clemente.
Old 2 October 2018, 17:43
Anesthetized User

Thinking about throwing up my Tony Gwynn signed bat. Again, obtained by me, in person, from Gwynn 1996.

Our new posting rules