Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Snipers

Old 17 May 2018, 13:46
Calculating Infinity...

New USMC Sniper Rifle

Well, I guess the M40 series is being retired. As a proud bearer of an A1, this resonates with me and I am quite sure, the countless men(better than me) that have wielded this impressive weapon system on the battlefield. Enter the era of the Mk13 Mod7 system. Go figure.. as much funding as the Corps is getting today, as opposed to when I was living the barracks life, we are still getting hand-me-downs from other services. This time, the Navy, some things never change

S/F

ETA: the Mk13 Mod7 might not be the end result.

Last edited by Gumby2/6; 17 May 2018 at 13:53.
Old 17 May 2018, 16:34

Hey brother, hope youíre doing good...everything good down here in the tropics (sipping on a piŮa colada...LMAO)
Like you said, weíre seeing the end of an era, the dawn of the M40 series rifles. It shouldnít take anyone by surprise as in my opinion it was long overdue. While the 40ís with their 7.62 round served a purpose and performed flawlessly (within its capabilities and limitations) it started to fall behind a long time ago. Is it because itís an old weapon system and outdated? No...itís because the operational tempo, scenarios, environment in which we fight today, mediums and most of all the ranges...distances that is.
Itís funny how while we used them we talked shit about them and diss them, but now weíll miss it...nostalgia maybe. We are reluctant to changes, specially sudden ones or the ones in which we donít or didnít have any say...like in this case. I remember while a student in school (Quantico 2-97) two students were given A3ís, everyone hated them. Years later everyone was talking about how of a behemoth the A1 was and the A3 was the best thing ever...same when the A5 came out. And oh! Letís not even talk about the change from the Unertl to the Schmidt & Bender and with that the change from MOAís to MILS...once again, hard changes. Add to the mix that the vast majority of people were only training and getting comfortable with these systems in a relative peace time, when the war broke out all that changed...even the curriculum at SSS.
Now the MK13 MOD7...is that the solution weíre looking for?...if you ask me no. You see all kinds of scopes on these things now, muzzle breaks, mods to the stocks and thatís a good thing, it tells you that theyíre ďsearchingĒ...but besides a ďlargerĒ .308 (300 WIN MAG) whatís there to it?...it seems like a careful and dreadful departure from its predecessor, the 40. Why? Because of what I mentioned before...weíre reluctant to change, and sometimes when we do it itís looking back at what we had.
The day of the 6.5 itís coming, thatís what I foresee, and others within...which one? Who knows, but thatíll be it. Recicles like the Tremor (currently being used in the MOD7 Nightforce scopes) too.
Scopes with reticles with BDCís and/or hold offís/over are the way to go...besides delivering that lethal blow and/or power we are in the accuracy and precision business and thatís where it is as of now...in the 6.5ís

We will see them, in a somewhat different weapon system. Will it be a permanent ďsolutionĒ? No...we are in an ever/constant changing arena and thatís the beauty of it and what keep us searching!

Out brother!
Old 17 May 2018, 16:45
Calculating Infinity...

Ahh.. finally, I get you to post beyond your intro.
I'll see you in PR soon, bro.
Old 17 May 2018, 17:14
I really don't care

You M1 guys are serious! A radio guy, formerly a Marine, said one time that if you want to light the phones up during talk radio then mention one of two things. Cats, or the M1 Garand.
Old 17 May 2018, 17:37
Shakin' the bush Boss

I too was a product of the A1 with a Unertyl circa 1989. Good gear at the time, but yeah, kinda behind the times a tad.

You mean the Marine Corps is resistant to change? Who woulda thunk it.
Old 17 May 2018, 18:08
Make a desert and call it peace.

We phased in the A3, swapped out for the A1 in 2004, just in time for OIF2. IMO and IME, it was a step backwards. Bigger and heavier, when we needed shorter and lighter. They made that steps with further mods of M40, but it seemed slow. The S&B scope and suppressors were nice improvements, just too damned late. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 17 May 2018, 18:19
Shakin' the bush Boss

I went thru my basic course with USMC gear and when I went back for the advance course in 1993 I took an Army M-24. We were killing some time at the beginning of the course so the class leader asked me to give the Marines a quick informal class on the M-24. I had it completely disassembled in the classroom. One of the guys from the RTE shop came in and I thought he was going to have a aneurism right there in the classroom.
Old 18 May 2018, 11:51
Been There Done That

I sold my last Unertl (complete with blocks and POSA mounts) last year, like the dumbass that I am...should have kept it.
Old 18 May 2018, 12:54
Calculating Infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
I sold my last Unertl (complete with blocks and POSA mounts) last year, like the dumbass that I am...should have kept it.
Damn, I bet that fetched a pretty penny.
Old 18 May 2018, 15:16
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby2/6 View Post
Damn, I bet that fetched a pretty penny.
You'd be surprised...everything was pretty much down to a shiny silver patina from the years of use. 20X and I had it mounted...dare I say--on a 700bdl 22-250. A guy in Ca who owned a pawn shop bought it off me (ebay). I had planned on using the cash to put together a XM-21...yeah well, life got in the way and my father's funeral wasn't free.
Old 18 May 2018, 22:27
Confirmed User

Better late than never. The new A6 is a pretty good system from what I hear but they really did need to upgrade the round with it. Glad they went to the 300wm. I loved the A1, for its time it was a damn good rifle.

Our new posting rules