Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 8 July 2018, 11:53
Confirmed User

After much research and listening to everyone and their brother on what I should do for my bulging disc. I have decided to try a conservative approach and give chiropractic treatment a go. Several folks I work with recommended a guy close to where I work. One lady had bulging disc so bad she could not drive and barely walk. After several chiropractic visits she is good to go. Went in last Friday and talked with the guy who I seemed to like. They did a 15 minute de-compression session. Which seemed to help right away. Although on Saturday I felt a little sore. Is that normal for anyone who has had de-compression. Thanks!
Old 8 July 2018, 14:35
33,024 - R.I.P.

I have found that chiropractors do more damage than anything. My last chiropractor jack d up my back and made my condition worse. BTW, Iím going in for my 3rd epidural for DDD of L4-L5 / sciatic issues in almost as many years. Good times.
Old 8 July 2018, 16:03
Been There Done That

I asked the doc that did my neck epidurals (yep, 4 on each side) what was the reason of most of her patients, she said chiropractors.
Old 9 July 2018, 09:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
I asked the doc that did my neck epidurals (yep, 4 on each side) what was the reason of most of her patients, she said chiropractors.
Our ED (and eventually neurosurgery and vascular surgery) gets about a patient a month who had "neck adjustments" from chiropractors. A friend of mine, one of neurosurgeons, says he loves chiropractors because they fund his kids' college tuition and his retirement.

Chiro's treat symptoms, not problems.
Old 9 July 2018, 12:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Iím going in for my 3rd epidural for DDD of L4-L5 / sciatic issues in almost as many years. Good times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Chiro's treat symptoms, not problems.
Um, lol?

I'm not going to get into the argument, but my experience was the opposite. My UCLA dr told me I'd never exercise again; a week, and 5 chiro visits later, I was walking pain free, and today my back is stronger than ever (and managed in part with chiro as needed).

Not all chiros are good, kinda like doctors (who kill 500k through malpractice yearly, unlike chiros).
Old 9 July 2018, 15:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Um, lol?

I'm not going to get into the argument, but my experience was the opposite. My UCLA dr told me I'd never exercise again; a week, and 5 chiro visits later, I was walking pain free, and today my back is stronger than ever (and managed in part with chiro as needed).

Not all chiros are good, kinda like doctors (who kill 500k through malpractice yearly, unlike chiros).
There is data that suggests that non-complicated back pain can have good results with chiropracty; but complicated medical comorbidities or complex spinal issues get less effective treatment. The study also says at 6 months chiro patients are better satisfied, but functional outcomes were no better and (interestingly) the cost was higher.

Another article says that you get same outcome but less expensive with physical therapy.

An article from 2009 does link higher rates of VBS (vertebrobasilar artery stroke) with cervical manipulation, but data shows mostly with people getting an adjustment for "headache" (patient was pre-stroke, the adjustment finished them off).

I am glad you got good results. No amount of manipulation can alter whether someone has stenosis, anterolisthesis, or most back pathology; but for a lot of people, it can help.

I am all for people getting non-traditional therapy, be it chiropracty, homeopathic treatment, eastern medicine (i.e., acupuncture, etc), whatever, if it helps them. My beef is that a) some think chiropracty can fix all sorts of back problems. It's can't; and b), certain populations will be made worse with it.
Old 10 July 2018, 02:58
Sardonic fattist

I have a long varied history of back injuries, first one at age 5 and last one around 14 or so years ago which involved being blind and partially paralysed, with a multitude of prolapsed disks etc inbetween and, to keep it brief, I'll just say in hindsight I'm really glad I sucked it up and stayed away from back surgery.
I'd rather do daily mobility shit to keep holistically active than daily mobility shit to try overcome post-surgery inevitable irreversible decrepitness. I've got to be really broken before I let a surgeon near my spine. Bodies heal if you help them along
Old 10 July 2018, 08:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soutpiel View Post
I have a long varied history of back injuries, first one at age 5 and last one around 14 or so years ago which involved being blind and partially paralysed, with a multitude of prolapsed disks etc inbetween and, to keep it brief, I'll just say in hindsight I'm really glad I sucked it up and stayed away from back surgery.
I'd rather do daily mobility shit to keep holistically active than daily mobility shit to try overcome post-surgery inevitable irreversible decrepitness. I've got to be really broken before I let a surgeon near my spine. Bodies heal if you help them along
Any surgeon worth their title will tell you the same thing.

There is a lot of pathology that will fix itself without surgical intervention. Speaking specifically about back, injections, acupuncture, massage therapy, PT will do a couple things: 1) kick the can of surgery, and/or 2) relieve symptoms long enough that you may never get to the point of needing surgery. But surgery should always the last option.
Old 10 July 2018, 08:48
Shakin' the bush Boss

I'm 65 days post surgery for decompression of 6 discs. I should have had it done years ago. I dealt with a lot of pain I didn't have to.

I'm still not fully recovered, but I'm already better than I was before the surgery. If I don't get any better at all I'm already playing on house money.
Old 11 July 2018, 07:37
Been There Done That

^^^ Great to hear.
Old 13 July 2018, 08:45
Confirmed User

So....I saw my ortho Wednesday morning. The bad news is, I need a 5/1 ALDF (fusion) with spacers. Injections really don't help any more. The good news is, I am in good enough shape that he thinks I can kick the can even a couple years if I can just manage symptoms. He was like, "core, core, core." Also, no running. He said "walk lots, jog little, run never." I am down with no running.
Old 13 July 2018, 10:52
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
So....I saw my ortho Wednesday morning. The bad news is, I need a 5/1 ALDF (fusion) with spacers.

Damn! How many spacers? Just L4 & L5, or more?

Quote:
Injections really don't help any more. The good news is, I am in good enough shape that he thinks I can kick the can even a couple years if I can just manage symptoms.
I think the can has been kicked as far as it will go, but we'll see next Friday. The sciatic pain has made it to my left side now, and muscular atrophy has started to set in. Nothing like that hot ice pick of fun shooting down the femur.

Quote:
He was like, "core, core, core." Also, no running. He said "walk lots, jog little, run never." I am down with no running.
I'm glad I have a pool. It really helps to keep thing low impact. I try to get some walking in whenever possible, as well as breaking away from the cubicle for stretching.
Old 13 July 2018, 13:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post

Damn! How many spacers? Just L4 & L5, or more?

I think the can has been kicked as far as it will go, but we'll see next Friday. The sciatic pain has made it to my left side now, and muscular atrophy has started to set in. Nothing like that hot ice pick of fun shooting down the femur.

I'm glad I have a pool. It really helps to keep thing low impact. I try to get some walking in whenever possible, as well as breaking away from the cubicle for stretching.
L5/S1 as far as I know. I think everything above is OK. I have no disc to speak of between 5/1, plus a spondylolisthesis and a pars defect, so that nerve gets crushed.

I agree, man, that sciatic pain is incapacitating. on my scale, it's a 10. I have gout, have had other surgeries, had two shoulder dislocations, and the sciatica is worse than all of them. Keep moving, though, you do NOT want atrophy...the PT will be very painful.

Pools are very, very helpful for low-impact stretching and exercise. With low back problems a crawl and butterfly are worst, but I suck at both of those anyway. A side stroke is best and has helped me, when I could get access to a pool.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how it goes. It doesn't help much, but it's good to know there are others like us.
Old Yesterday, 15:16
Confirmed User

Her is my bulging disc update. After 3 weeks of chiropractic lower lumbar de-compression and some manipulation on the table. My walking has improved 90%. My wife and people at work are commenting on well I am moving compared to a month ago. Last night I took the dog on what would be our typical route of about 7 blocks. Had some mild pain towards the end but made the whole route. When I get up from a chair there is mild discomfort. In the buttocks cheek. Never been to a chiropractor before so I'm feeling pretty good about the progress.

Our new posting rules