Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Snipers

Old 7 April 2018, 22:00
Been There Done That

Review of The Killing School by Brandon Webb

This is a book review I recently had published with Snipercraft on Brandon Webb's book on sniping & sniper training, The Killing School.

This is another one of those books on sniping that would have to improve in order to just suck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the killing school cover.jpg (30.3 KB, 716 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2017-12 Book Review of The Killing School.pdf (237.6 KB, 242 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 7 April 2018, 22:06
Unemployed Stunt Double

Mr. Webb stays pretty busy, posting ISIS propaganda videos online and whatnot, so, maybe he missed a few things during editing.
Old 7 April 2018, 22:13
Shakin' the bush Boss

Thanks for he detailed review. I think I'll be passing on this one.
Old 7 April 2018, 22:17
Been There Done That

Bazinga!
Old 8 April 2018, 08:35
Whatever Sucks the Most

I would like to republish that review on my Facebook page:

fb.com/magickingdomdispatch

I do not know if your agreement with Sniper Magazine will permit it?

Thanks for considering it.

It is well done. And Brandon Webb is on my List.
Old 8 April 2018, 09:16
Been There Done That

Why give the fucker any additional press? I realize the negative review might hurt him, but isn’t there a saying about no media attention is the worst kind?
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 8 April 2018, 09:28
Calculating Infinity...

Thanks for posting your review, it's hard to believe an "SME" would have those kind of errors in his book.
Old 8 April 2018, 10:30
Red Headed Stepchild

That guy's MO has never made sense to me. Even for a pathological attention seeker, it's hard to understand what benefit he'd get by associating his name and creds with incorrect information that I assume is at a pretty fundamental level for you guys.
Old 8 April 2018, 10:39
Shakin' the bush Boss

Very much fundamental. I would expect better from my students, much less an "expert". Ghost written maybe?
Old 8 April 2018, 12:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Very much fundamental. I would expect better from my students, much less an "expert". Ghost written maybe?
Pretty safe to say he is using a ghost writer.
But who in their right mind would not at least check what has been written before slapping ones name on a book.

But I doubt that Mr. Webb is worried about it.
Old 8 April 2018, 16:20
Been There Done That

Well written.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 8 April 2018, 17:09
Been There Done That

Great review..... and what a bafoon Webb is.......
Old 8 April 2018, 17:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Why give the fucker any additional press? I realize the negative review might hurt him, but isnít there a saying about no media attention is the worst kind?
Unfortunately with that theory it doesn't work where people are in the business of offering training (or books about training).

It's the rookies just starting out looking for whatever reference they can about sniping that I'm trying to protect from becoming fans of this incompetent jerk.

With that in mind ignoring idiots in hopes that they go away doesn't help.

BTW magician I just sent you a PM.

Old 8 April 2018, 17:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Simpson View Post
...It's the rookies just starting out looking for whatever reference they can about sniping that I'm trying to protect from becoming fans of this incompetent jerk.

With that in mind ignoring idiots in hopes that they go away doesn't help...

EXACTLY.

Brought a few posers and dumbasses down ourselves for those reasons.
Old 10 April 2018, 14:47
Bitter old man.

Outstanding review.
Old 10 April 2018, 15:24
Navigating

"As we'll see, some of these are on the order of "That's embarrassing" but my biggest problems are the ones that put out the same erroneous information time and time again so that a rookie sniper reading this for pointers will walk away with a head full of junk sniper knowledge."

- I am a Rookie to the craft (Police not military) and picked up on a few of the errors, did not finish.

"Like Rob Furlong getting an extra few yards out his .50 caliber ammo by leaving it in the direct
rays of the Sun to "warm the powder"

- I kept a thermometer in the mortar pit where the rounds were held and entered that temp into the LHBMC before each firing (you had to use some common sense, the charge doesn't change temp as fast as the outside air). Higher powder temps will give more distance, not sure if that translates into extending rifle ballistics, much less actually accounting for it.

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 10 April 2018, 19:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
Higher powder temps will give more distance
Well, duh! But rifle cartridges aren't mortar shells.

But in modern small arms ammunition most manufacturers are using temperature insensitive powder. Quite apart from that there's no means to measure the powder temperature inside a cartridge case.

Also the idea that just laying your fifty caliber ammo out in the sun for random periods of time before shooting it is going to allow your bullet to reach unheard of distances is ridiculous on the face of it. Let's say a cartridge case is at ambient air temperature. Now you load it and others into a magazine. The metal sides of the magazine are now transmitting heat energy either to or from the brass cases. Now a round gets chambered for an indeterminate amount of time. The steel chamber acts as a heat sink on the cartridge case and the powder temp inside it. So again, in the case of small arms ammo, what temperature is the powder?

This of course ignores the fact that the old "minute change for every 20 degrees F temp change" is bullshit.

Getting back to the powder, in the case of the 5.56mm MK262 the difference between the Mod 0 & Mod 1 versions is Jeff Hoffman of Black Hills ammo insisted on using temperature insensitive powder to make Mod 1 over Navy objections it wasn't necessary.

Being a police sniper you really need to buy a copy of the American Sniper Association's Police Sniper Training and Operations Manual. I wrote the ballistics chapter and it explains this subject a bit more.

I have a comprehensive chapter on the whole ammo temperature thing in my first book The Sniper's Notebook which should set the matter to rest. It's just one less thing to worry about before shooting someone.

Old 10 April 2018, 19:14
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Simpson View Post
Well, duh! But rifle cartridges aren't mortar shells.

But in modern small arms ammunition most manufacturers are using temperature insensitive powder. Quite apart from that there's no means to measure the powder temperature inside a cartridge case.

Also the idea that just laying your fifty caliber ammo out in the sun for random periods of time before shooting it is going to allow your bullet to reach unheard of distances is ridiculous on the face of it. Let's say a cartridge case is at ambient air temperature. Now you load it and others into a magazine. The metal sides of the magazine are now transmitting heat energy either to or from the brass cases. Now a round gets chambered for an indeterminate amount of time. The steel chamber acts as a heat sink on the cartridge case and the powder temp inside it. So again, in the case of small arms ammo, what temperature is the powder?

This of course ignores the fact that the old "minute change for every 20 degrees F temp change" is bullshit.

Getting back to the powder, in the case of the 5.56mm MK262 the difference between the Mod 0 & Mod 1 versions is Jeff Hoffman of Black Hills ammo insisted on using temperature insensitive powder to make Mod 1 over Navy objections it wasn't necessary.

Being a police sniper you really need to buy a copy of the American Sniper Association's Police Sniper Training and Operations Manual. I wrote the ballistics chapter and it explains this subject a bit more.

I have a comprehensive chapter on the whole ammo temperature thing in my first book The Sniper's Notebook which should set the matter to rest. It's just one less thing to worry about before shooting someone.
Thank you! Iíve nearly gotten your book on a couple of occasions. Iíll pull the trigger. Glass makes me nervous on every call out weíre on, hoping for some advise on that.

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 11 April 2018, 09:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
Glass makes me nervous on every call out weíre on, hoping for some advise on that.
Sure thing, the ASA actually produced two comprehensive DVDs on the subject. And there's also a chapter on shooting through glass in the ASA manual as well.

Old 20 April 2018, 17:51
"One shot"...you know the rest..

Is that the same US Navy sniper school that we at SSIS used to spend hours reteaching crap that the SEALs had been taught wrong? I remember one class where we had to spend extra time on ballistics because we had a lot of SEALs in it.

Our new posting rules