Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 15 March 2017, 04:12
Confirmed User

Besides the Kimber above, here are a few others in the stable. There is just something about a 1911 that makes me giddy.

Mars Armament Axiom built on a stainless new series 70 Colt. I had Steve murder this one out, but I added the rag micarta grips.

The micarta has an interesting back story. The Westinghouse rag micarta was used for work tables and other surfaces and it was adopted by knifemakers for handle material. It has not been made for a while and is pretty coveted. I had a block of rag I was planning on using on my own knives, but got a wild hair for a cool project that wound up taking 10 years to complete - I had a couple knifemaker friends make knives for me and use the rag I had. Steve Johnson made a Chute knife and Kit Carson (RIP) made a folder. The 1911 grips were that last piece of the puzzle.

Yost-Bonitz 1* package on a new Series 70 Colt.

DIY project waiting for me to be home long enough to complete it...a clean Remington Rand slide I found on GunBroker paired with a Fusion Firearms frame.

Old 15 March 2017, 04:49
Another pool cleaner

Awesome.
Old 16 March 2017, 01:11
Confirmed User

Has anyone added an aftermarket rail? Specifically to a Kimber (Pro Carry)? I learned the Harries hold back in the academy in the early 90s, but I've never felt terrifically comfortable with it since it's not quite as stable as a good two-handed grip. I've got a Beretta PX4 with a rail, and I'm going to get a light for it, but I want one for the Kimber too.

Found this article listing a few options, but the Surefire MR0 is discontinued. I think Novak's is DC as well. Kind of leaning toward not wanting to drill & tap the gun.

TRG has the TICK/EZ-Rail (out of stock) which uses a replacement slide stop, and Streamlight has the TLR-6 for non-railed 1911s.

Anyone tried any of these?
Old 16 March 2017, 03:08
Confirmed User

My Yost-Bonitz Colt has a Dawson rail. There are a lot of factory rail gun choices now. I would choose a railed gun now over adding one, but when I had the gun built, the factory stuff was pretty limited.
Old 16 March 2017, 09:23
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Has anyone added an aftermarket rail? Specifically to a Kimber (Pro Carry)? I learned the Harries hold back in the academy in the early 90s, but I've never felt terrifically comfortable with it since it's not quite as stable as a good two-handed grip. I've got a Beretta PX4 with a rail, and I'm going to get a light for it, but I want one for the Kimber too.

Found this article listing a few options, but the Surefire MR0 is discontinued. I think Novak's is DC as well. Kind of leaning toward not wanting to drill & tap the gun.

TRG has the TICK/EZ-Rail (out of stock) which uses a replacement slide stop, and Streamlight has the TLR-6 for non-railed 1911s.

Anyone tried any of these?
If you sell or trade your Pro carry and add the cost of what ever add on rail, you will be within 10% of a new or used Kimber Pro TLE II RL. All Steel, Stainless or Blued. IMHO, the TLE II line is the best value in the Kimber catalog.

Litepath will make you a holster for CCW as well.

Our new posting rules