Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 29 September 2017, 22:04
The atomic zit

Question

Does this have any relation to SPIE, the Corps once used for particular training?
Old 29 September 2017, 22:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Does this have any relation to SPIE, the Corps once used for particular training?
Not unless you sometimes would anchor one SPIES line in the aircraft, and you use that line, and then your buddy anchors another SPIES line to your belt, and he uses that line...
Old 29 September 2017, 22:54
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Not unless you sometimes would anchor one SPIES line in the aircraft, and you use that line, and then your buddy anchors another SPIES line to your belt, and he uses that line...
The picture I saw looked like a bunch a Marines hanging from a rotorcraft on a ladder with center vertical hard support.

Sent to me by a HS friend that went to the BRC.
Old 29 September 2017, 23:41
Red Headed Stepchild

Not a static line guy, but always assumed the daisy chain stories kind of fell into the Mr. Bill exit or Point Break exit-a minute-after-the previous-guy-and-catch-him-freefall genre.
Old 30 September 2017, 20:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Not a static line guy, but always assumed the daisy chain stories kind of fell into the Mr. Bill exit or Point Break exit-a minute-after-the previous-guy-and-catch-him-freefall genre.

Yea, that Hollywood shit, exit 1 min after the guy before you and catch up to him is such bullshit. I don't care how well you fly. In 1 min flying at 150 kts do you know how far away they would be? Well, I don't either but it's really a fucking long distance.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 30 September 2017, 20:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Yea, that Hollywood shit, exit 1 min after the guy before you and catch up to him is such bullshit. I don't care how well you fly. In 1 min flying at 150 kts do you know how far away they would be? Well, I don't either but it's really a fucking long distance.
Get on Youtube, and pull up the Mythbusters episode where they replicated the Point Break skydiving scenes to see what was possible.
Old 30 September 2017, 20:58
Been There Done That

Got to Group in 1974 and heard "talk". The kind of talk that somebody knew somebody, who knew somebody, who knew somebody who would swear to it that it's true.

Now we could do some shit getting out of an aircraft but it was all one man with a chute and reserve - don't be dicking around.

Had one guy from the 82nd make a night tailgate jump with our team. He told me later that he was nervous jumping with us. I asked him why and he said it was like we were all just waiting at a bus stop. I jumped a couple of years later with the 82nd and knew exactly what he meant.
Old 30 September 2017, 22:39
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Yep.

Just from having done freefall mass exits out of DC-3 doors, I am trying to picture an 8 way daisy chain without the first guy's parachute deploying while there are 5 dudes still on the ramp/door, or the last 4 guys getting yanked the fuck out and bouncing off the door on the way out, or both.

Last edited by hawkdrver; 30 September 2017 at 22:46.
Old 1 October 2017, 00:18
BT,WBTWC

Smile

First of all, would it work?

Yes, but ....

the middle jumper(s) would have deployment bags hanging from their D-Rings.

That would seriously mess up the inventory at the return airfield as well as for the DZSO, (assuming the jumpers turned in ALL air items).

COULD it be done? Of course. The T-10 series has a 1/4 inch aka 80 pound cotton test tape holding it closed. The weight of a jumper in free fall reaching the end of another jumper's D-ring under canopy -- or nearly under canopy - would be sufficient to break that tie (as well at the apex tie, affixed from the top of the canopy to the inside top of the deployment bag, you didn't think about that, did you?).

Total loss of altitude ...

perhaps 80 - 100 feet per jumper in the daisy chain.

The closest I ever came to this kind of foolishness was in freefall, where we each grabbed the ripcord of the next jumper. As one main deployed, that jumper pulled the ripcord of the next in sequence. Result: a series of pow-pow-pow one after the other openings. Second best was to fly up to another jumper in freefall, smile at him, pull his ripcord and hand it to him. Reality hit just about time the pilot chute caught air.

As Bugs Bunny said, in one of the most litigated sequences in cartoon cinema : "Ain't I a stinker."
Old 13 October 2017, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Or:
Sudden Deceleration Injury.
We used to joke about it not being the impact, nor the deceleration. It was the sudden reversal in direction that did all the harm :-)

Of course that was when everyone still knew the words to "Blood On The Risers" :-)
Old 14 October 2017, 07:27
BTDT

I got to the 82nd in '82, when Saturday "Fun Jumps," were 3000' Hollywood, MC-1B jumps. Usually a C-130 tailgate, occasionally a Huey Blast. This when unit jumps were ALWAYS 800' T-10 night, combat equipment mass tacs.

You would routinely "hear" about someone doing, or having done this, always with three jumpers, but I was a jump chasing fool, never missed a Sat jump unless in the field or deployed, and never saw this. I did see people jump EXTREMELY inebriated on all manner of mind altering substances/liquids, so had no doubt it had been tried, just never witnessed it myself.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR

Our new posting rules