SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 12 September 2018, 15:42
Drawing my cutlass

Go Ruck Selection Welcome Party

From last year. Brutal but the standards are the standards. Great commentary from the cadre.

Link here.

Part one (embedded in the page) features Richard Rice.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy

Last edited by Justaclerk; 12 September 2018 at 15:48.
Old 12 September 2018, 16:18
Confirmed User

I have enjoyed the GRs that I have done, but have retired from the community.

Selection? That's a whole 'nother thing.
Old 12 September 2018, 16:23
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
I have enjoyed the GRs that I have done, but have retired from the community.

Selection? That's a whole 'nother thing.
I've got a couple more in me, but I will not commit to more than two a year. 2016 and 2017 wiped me out and I had to take six months off to get over some nagging injuries.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 12 September 2018, 20:56
Been There Done That

Why don't these young people just join the Army and go Ranger of SF, or Marine MARSOC or Navy SEAL?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12 September 2018, 21:00
Another pool cleaner

double tap
Old 12 September 2018, 21:01
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Why don't these young people just join the Army and go Ranger of SF, or Marine MARSOC or Navy SEAL?
I did a GR Tough when I was 48.

I like doing these but the amount of strutting and "yeah, I could have been a badass (insert whomever)" is just embarrassing.
Old 12 September 2018, 21:13
Unemployed Stunt Double

To each their own, I suppose. I can't understand why someone would put up with hazing and silliness just to get a t-shirt or some sort of bragging rights.
Old 12 September 2018, 22:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
To each their own, I suppose. I can't understand why someone would put up with hazing and silliness just to get a t-shirt or some sort of bragging rights.
I agree. Most likely because it lasts a short period of time versus a 4-6 year enlistment which results in something meaningful...maybe.
Old 13 September 2018, 08:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
I did a GR Tough when I was 48.

I like doing these but the amount of strutting and "yeah, I could have been a badass (insert whomever)" is just embarrassing.
And this is why I have gotten away from the community. The amount of faux-badassery is just insane. Many people who do them think "based on...training" is same as "completed training and have deployed."

My own workout group has formed a ruck club (cool: it's great exercise), but they like going out in the worst weather, in the middle of the night, and brag about hauling a 40# ruck 6, 8, or 10 miles. I just roll my eyes....
Old 14 September 2018, 10:49
Confirmed User

I'm amazed at how successful these have become. I'm not sure why you would do this, as opposed to a regular adventure race, 24hr mt bike race or other endurance activity, etc.

I still want one of their stupid bags, though.
Old 14 September 2018, 10:54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger275 View Post
I agree. Most likely because it lasts a short period of time versus a 4-6 year enlistment which results in something meaningful...maybe.
This.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 14 September 2018, 11:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
I'm amazed at how successful these have become. I'm not sure why you would do this, as opposed to a regular adventure race, 24hr mt bike race or other endurance activity, etc.

I still want one of their stupid bags, though.
They have a cult-like following. I've done some, yeah, they are fun, whatevs. I have done them with friends which made it enjoyable to me.

The bags also have a cult-like following, and they just had a significant price increase. The people who do GR will absolutely go ape-shit on you if you even remotely suggest that there are other bags "as good as." They are as big a group of Kool-Aid drinkers as has ever been....
Old 14 September 2018, 11:07
Confirmed User

As a self-professed bag whore, I have a strong desire to test their opinion on those bags.

As much as I may not get it, I commend them for finding a niche and successfully combining a lifestyle thing with product sales. It's like if I made you pay to fly out and drink my coffee, while I beat you about the head with my wet sweaty judo gi, and you went home and bragged about it, then roped your buddies into doing it again together 6 months later. lol
Old 14 September 2018, 11:38
Been There Done That

I have an event I make all my martial arts students go through before they can progress to the advanced forms. Been doing for years and the students do like it, as it does push them to limits. Makes them earn the right to learn the advanced forms. And for some considering military service , gives them a small glimpse and for others a challenge.

I don't tell them what the events are just that it will
Be all night long. They spend several hours at the school doing drills, conditioning, getting Smoked, full contact sparring, ground fighting, etc.

Then I blind fold them and drive them out to a remote part of the county, rural farm land or woods. Tie up their hands. Drop a couple of rucks in their midsts and tell them find their way back to the school. Then I drive off. It is straight line distance about 14 miles back to the school. Then when they get back to the school early morning, I make them do drills and sparring again for a couple of hours. Then I blind fold them again, say one last event, and then drive them to a greasy spoon cafe where i treat them to a big breakfast. They get a token and special edition book for completing the event.

Students have to complete this event along with several other unique challenges , and a handgunsnd carbine course I teach, along with profiency in the art and all it's forms, skills and drills to be awarded a Black Sash and Certicate of completion. Traditionally no ranks in my art, but I have this at my school to give the students a goal to shoot for and encourage them to progress.

Last edited by leopardprey; 14 September 2018 at 11:44.
Old 14 September 2018, 11:50
Been There Done That

Now in terms of one wants a good "ruck" challenge? Without having to enlist, I say go hike the Appalachian or Pacific Crest trail. Or if a time constraint the Wonderland trail at Mt Rainer national park (I have done it twice and I consider it the best hikes in the world - and this is coming from a guy that has had five treks in the Himalayas).

Or if one wants that real ruck international adventure, go trekking in Nepal or India.

My three personal events I have yet to do and want to, if I ever get the time , funding or fitness level again:

Two week Japanese alps trek
Bhutan Snowman Trek
Nepal Everest Marathon

Old 14 September 2018, 11:52
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
It reminds me of Crossfit, not that I participate in either Crossfit or GoRuck, in that it's more a social "thing" than a fitness "thing". The group culture seems to have a lot of appeal to a certain segment of society. I'm not sure why, but I'd like to hear any insight if anyone has some.
Old 14 September 2018, 11:59
Been There Done That

Quote:
As a self-professed bag whore, I have a strong desire to test their opinion on those bags.

As much as I may not get it, I commend them for finding a niche and successfully combining a lifestyle thing with product sales. It's like if I made you pay to fly out and drink my coffee, while I beat you about the head with my wet sweaty judo gi, and you went home and bragged about it, then roped your buddies into doing it again together 6 months later. lol
I counted it up the other day, and I have 19 backpacks. Lol

Vintage WWII mountain ruck
Two Army Alice large rucks
Lowes Special Forces issue ruck
Three custom packs from Mchale and company
Two North face packs
Badlands hunting pack
Vintage Lowe panel pack
Two maxpedition packs
Dana Design Bridger Ruck
Mystery Ranch three day assault
Camelbak talon ruck
Kelty Pack
Old Ecko Pack
Mountain Smith pack
Eddie Bauer Pack

One of the maxpedition packs, the mystery ranch, the talon pack and the Dana design pack are the three I pretty much have been using though for about the last 8 years for work and play.

Old 14 September 2018, 12:42
Been There Done That

Quote:

Talk about hype driving profit. I don't see it in their bags at all. Wayyy overpriced laptop/day pack. Good marketing on their part $$$$$. Do their event, buy their ruck.

You can get a much better made, more comfortable ruck from Mystery Ranch or Mountain Hardware.

And a 5.11 pack, like their 72 hr ruck, will cost about $100 less and is more comfy and versatile.

Old 14 September 2018, 12:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
It reminds me of Crossfit, not that I participate in either Crossfit or GoRuck, in that it's more a social "thing" than a fitness "thing". The group culture seems to have a lot of appeal to a certain segment of society. I'm not sure why, but I'd like to hear any insight if anyone has some.
PM sent.

Old 14 September 2018, 14:14
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
They have a cult-like following. I've done some, yeah, they are fun, whatevs. I have done them with friends which made it enjoyable to me.

The bags also have a cult-like following, and they just had a significant price increase. The people who do GR will absolutely go ape-shit on you if you even remotely suggest that there are other bags "as good as." They are as big a group of Kool-Aid drinkers as has ever been....
When I did one I was astounded to find that people had driven more than twelve hours to attend it. Several had come from Canada. Seriously?

Our new posting rules