SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 13 September 2018, 19:57
Did...did I do that?

Multiple explosions and fires North of Boston

Vicinity of North Andover, Lawrence, and Metheun. MSP is telling anyone with gas service in the area to evacuate their homes. 4-6 injured so far, and anywhere from 20-40 homes involved.

Columbia Gas is depressurizing the lines, and one other report said the power company was shutting down the grid in the area. Up to 145,000 people affected.

Seems like they think it's just old lines failing all at once, but that seems more than a little strange to me.

MSP Twitter

Boston Globe

Fox
Old 13 September 2018, 20:13
Bitter old man.

Damn Russian hackers.
This might be the enema that AO needs.
Old 13 September 2018, 20:14
Proud wearer of a Beard.

It'll be blamed on President Trump, I'm sure.

Interesting to see what the actual cause was.
Old 13 September 2018, 21:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
Interesting to see what the actual cause was.
The early reporting says it was over pressurized natural gas lines. Press conference by the Lawrence Fire Chief: "We have not heard from Columbia Gas at all".

Local news is on commercial free.

For those that don't know, Lawrence is one of the biggest shit holes in New England. There will be looting and crime shortly.

They have shut down electricity to south Lawrence and the towns of Andover and North Andover. People who have gas service to their house are asked to evacuate.

I'm about an hour south. They haven't got to us for mutual aid yet but regional tac teams have been put on notice. At least one regional team and Boston's disaster teams have been activated.
Old 13 September 2018, 22:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Damn Russian hackers.
This might be the enema that AO needs.
That was along the lines of my first thought
The at it Iran. Iranians got caught messing with some dam pump station somewhere in NJ or PA IIRC.
Old 13 September 2018, 22:31
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
The early reporting says it was over pressurized natural gas lines.
Which could be true. Or could be something told to the reporter's friend's sister's boyfriend's cousin's dogwalker's babysitter's democrats rep.

"Early reporting" is generally whatever the first thing an organization thinks of to make themselves look in control of the situation, and wanting to not panic people about how bad it really is. "There's no sign of terrorism", etc etc.

Plus it doesn't explain how the supposed "excessive pressure" occurred.
Old 13 September 2018, 22:34
Never to old to learn

Several years ago PG&E in California had the gas pipes blowup. It burned a lot of homes an caused some deaths. It all came down to OLD Pipes .
Old 13 September 2018, 22:56
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
Several years ago PG&E in California had the gas pipes blowup. It burned a lot of homes an caused some deaths. It all came down to OLD Pipes .
And they would have known they were bad if they, oh I donít know, inspected them.

This will keep happening until the powers that be see prison time. But, that will never happen.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 14 September 2018, 05:35
killjoy

Nobody saw prison time with the Ford Pinto either. Cost of paying out wrongful death suit for average life was cheaper than fixing the car.
Old 14 September 2018, 06:00
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
That was in San Bruno as I recall. That was a bad one, killed a whole bunch of folks and destroyed a pretty big swath of that neighborhood.

Chicago has the same problem as a lot of areas around the country, old outdated pipes that all have to be replaced. The cost for doing that is unbelievable.
Old 14 September 2018, 07:08
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Chicago has the same problem as a lot of areas around the country, old outdated pipes that all have to be replaced. The cost for doing that is unbelievable.
Yep, so they're not gonna do it and just use shareholder and tax payer money to "make the NoK whole."

Fuck that, "I want my father back, you son of a bitch."

I'm beginning to think we should disband and eliminate the civil court system. All justice comes from punishing the offender with pain. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 14 September 2018, 07:17
Administrator

So just like the left wing, we have posters who immediately jump to conclusions and make political commentary when no facts are known.
Old 14 September 2018, 10:08
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Partially. It also came down to some faulty welds and some piping that was damaged because they didn't know where it was.

PG&E is one of the first companies to not only get fined for the explosion, but got slapped with a $25 million fine for poor recordkeeping: Not only were they misfiling records, they weren't getting rid of old records and people were using them as reference (the old, I can't throw it away, I'll need it someday! mantra) - and to top it off engineers were saving record copies of files on their computers and referencing them, when the official copy had been updated in central files.

Which is why I pretty much shut down all file shares and if I find documents on your computer I'll take it from you until you learn
Old 14 September 2018, 15:03
The Sagacious One

Quote:
That was in San Bruno as I recall. That was a bad one, killed a whole bunch of folks and destroyed a pretty big swath of that neighborhood.

When you are paying pookie and RayRay not to shoot each other.....
Old 14 September 2018, 16:20
Never to old to learn

Quote:

It was 2010 PG&E are still fighting the case in court last I heard
Old 15 September 2018, 07:48
BTDT

So BLUF is: a bunch of old gas lines from the early 1900's blew the F up, and it wasn't any variation of a 'Durka Durka'. I'm shocked.
Old 15 September 2018, 08:14
Confirmed User

^I assume you might be talking about my and GPCs posts. Like I said that was my first "thought", since I just watched a documentary on stuxnet. First, gas pipelines in Iran had been blowing up, presumably caused by the computer virus, actual cause still unknown. Those were commercial pipelines too, not residential, and a couple years ago some Iranians we're caught hacking controls to a dam in NY in 2016.

I wasn't saying I thought it was hackers after looking at the story, it was just fresh in my mind from watching Zero Days.

Houses have been blowing up from bad gas lines as long as I can remember. It's a shame, and I'm sorry for the loss of life.
Old 15 September 2018, 08:41
Administrator

I was certainly talking about them.

Posting political slanted reactions immediately after an event, without knowing any details, is more akin to how the left and SJW's do it.
Old 15 September 2018, 09:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Houses have been blowing up from bad gas lines as long as I can remember.
I grew up in North Texas (~25 years) and natural gas was piped in to everyoneís house. I never heard of anyoneís house blowing up from bad gas lines in Texas or Oklahoma. Now idiots letting pilot lights go out and other stupid shit are different stories.
Old 15 September 2018, 09:32
Confirmed User

In the NE where theres a lot of older homes you hear about it almost yearly. I know it happens in NYC and it happened in Rochester a couple times that I know of.

Our new posting rules