Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 14 December 2017, 02:30
Whatever Sucks the Most

Thank you for the kind comments! If you have a moment, please leave a review on the Amazon order page. Those reviews really help the book.

The next book is The Rosetta Stone of Memories. It will be coming out within four to six months.

Tales of the Rangers will take longer, though I am strongly considering publishing it in two volumes. The first half could come out in time for the anniversary of Urgent Fury on the 25th of October, 2018.

Tales of the Rangers is an anthology written by Rangers. I just queued up a contribution by Ranger Taft Yates yesterday.

Thank you for your kind comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
Steve I did finish the book last week. It was so gripping that I stayed up really late to complete it. I got a couple of pages in, and immediately thought that the writing style reminds me of The Aleph by Jorge Luis Borges. It is tremendous, and I am so glad that you have gotten your stories on paper for yourself, your brothers in arms, and for the historical record. As a civilian it helps me to understand the perceptions of a soldier under the stress of combat, and in turn to be more understanding of our veterans who are returning from combat now, and who need our assistance.

I am looking forward to the release of your next book Tales of The Rangers, and hope you can get it to print as I would like to start reading it now!
Old 14 December 2017, 02:57
Confirmed User

Review (finally) posted on Amazon. Apologies for the delay.

And I am looking forward to your future books.
Old 14 December 2017, 07:25
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
Review (finally) posted on Amazon. Apologies for the delay.

And I am looking forward to your future books.
That was an outstanding review! Thank you very much!

It cracks me up: historians over time developed a default format for war memoirs. I could have written this work following that template, but honestly: Grenada was 34 years ago, it was a minor intervention in the greater scheme of geopolitics, and nobody really cares what happened there except the protagonists.

So I could not write a conventional war memoir. It would be boring, and nobody would read it.

I did this one my way, and as I wrote it, I wondered if anybody would get it, or if readers would even realize that I wrote this book differently.

I am surprised to see that almost every reviewer on that Amazon page did indeed get it. Some more than others, but not one reviewer, not one reader, complained that I broke the rules writing this book.

A couple of reviewers really got it.

This book is now up to 39 reviews, all 5-stars.

I can never explain how satisfying that is. You just never know what is going to happen when you publish a book. You dread the inevitable criticism, the nitpicking, the comparisons, and most of all, the unsolicited "advice" from more experienced writers and those who style themselves as "editors."

One editor told me, "everybody needs an editor," apparently oblivious that this puts food on his dinner table. He desperately wants that statement to be true. It is not universally true, but he can never admit it, as that would risk his relevance. Everybody likes to be indispensable, and everybody wants to put food on the table.

Then that editor made observations that confirmed that he scanned the book, at best, and its deeper layers of meaning went straight over his head. This is an editor who pays his rent by massaging memoirs into that same old tired default format that I repudiated.

Not surprising, his critiques were diametric to my values and to my intentions, and I realized that publishing this book through traditional channels would expose me to vampires like him.

I gave this book almost a year in the hands of an agent. I am pretty sure that he never even looked at it. But while it was in his hands, I was honor-bound not to send it to any other agents.

Who made up that lousy convention? It only benefits agents, and it puts writers at a disadvantage.

Finally, I decided to just publish this book on my own. I feel zero regrets about that. Yes, a traditional publishing house might advance me a chunk of money, but the book's sales are good, and my royalties are honestly earned. I am not getting rich, but I am earning a reasonable cut of each copy purchased.

I do not have to share those royalties with an agent (15%), nor do my royalties filter through to me courtesy of the bookkeeping of a publisher with every incentive to cheat me.

If you consider the expenses that a traditional publisher will recoup before it ever pays a writer another cent in royalties, you realize that this is a big deal. Amazon is a bit greedy, but their bookkeeping is impeccable, and their royalty structure is straightforward. There are no catches.

Technology worked a revolution in publishing, you see. Anybody can publish on Amazon and iBooks. GooglePlay is a bit harder, but it appears that I just got the eBook up on GoogleBooks and on GooglePlay. Now I will work on getting a softcover released through GooglePlay.

The result is direct Darwinian access to the marketplace for writers. Good writers sell books and their ideas propagate through the zeitgeist. Lesser writers fade in relevance, but they still get to say, "I published a book."

Since anyone, literally anybody can publish a book, some books will sell a grand total of one copy, or ten. Some will sell a lot more. I am closing in on 400 copies sold. And climbing. I am not boasting. I am marveling. And I am profoundly grateful.

But Amazon, principally Amazon, made Random House, Penguin, Simon and Schuster, Crown--all of the big houses--redundant. The primary marketplace for books is now also a publisher. Traditional publishers are no longer the gatekeepers in an ecosystem that writers must placate in order to sell books.

And that means that all the encumbrances of a publishing house, all the bureaucratic layers, the finance departments, the marketing departments, the pre-readers, the editors, the illustrators, the fact checkers, and the lawyers, are also miraculously erased from the equation.

Many writers, no question, do need an editor. Unfortunately editors are not created equally. One editor that published an excerpt of my book a couple years ago in the Daily Beast was truly gifted. That editor quit his job at the Beast and decided that he was a writer, period, and he would never edit anyone else's work ever again.

Which brings me to my next observation about editors. With the exception of that editor, too many of the rest are failed writers. I realized that many of the critiques that random editors sent to me unsolicited were in fact motivated by jealousy.

"Everybody needs an editor?" Maybe so. But not an editor who is secretly covetous of the accomplishments of a writer. Sometimes the editors do not even realize that they are jealous. But it comes out in their comments. I can feel editors out there in internet land seething over these observations already.

Technology makes publishing houses redundant. Publishers are now under siege, and Amazon is poaching their income streams.

There may still be a place for editors and fact checkers and legal reviewers for those writers who need them in the ecosystem, but their relevance is increasingly challenged, and it is no coincidence that editors are getting fired wholesale everywhere that we look. Editors are increasingly an endangered species.

If a publishing house wishes to make me an offer, I will consider it. In the hands of the right publisher, this book could sell harder and better than I can accomplish on my own with the help of those of you reading these words.

But money is not the sole purpose here.

Omitting a publishing house enabled me to focus on those other important priorities. And I enjoy a direct relationship to my readers.

Technology marches on.

We all must adapt or fade into irrelevance.

That includes writers, agents, editors, and publishers. Some of us are making a graceful transition. Some are burning in.

Such a spectacle.

Last edited by magician; 14 December 2017 at 07:38.
Old 14 December 2017, 17:19
Confirmed User

You are welcome, sir.

Regarding your sharing above about editors and publishers - thank you for that info. There are some topics I have considered writing about and would very likely take the approach that you did - assuming I ever actually do it.
Old 14 December 2017, 18:10
Midgetologist

Not to derail, Have you thought about starting a how to publish thread?
Between you and Mingo Kane there might be some good info to share.
Old 14 December 2017, 19:14
The atomic zit

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Not to derail, Have you thought about starting a how to publish thread?
Between you and Mingo Kane there might be some good info to share.
I agree!
Old 14 December 2017, 23:27
Whatever Sucks the Most

I just expanded the rant above into an article on Medium and on my website.

https://medium.com/@estebantrujillod...g-810744531407

http://www.magickingdomdispatch.com/...aditional.html

I expect the editors of the world to work up a posse to take my scalp after this one.
Old Yesterday, 01:15
Confirmed User

As Warren Buffet quipped, "never ask a barber if you need a haircut!"

Our new posting rules