Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge > Travel

Old 13 November 2017, 16:59
Drawing my cutlass

New First Class Service From Emirates

No doubt an indulgence, but holy moley what a ride. The flight will originate from Dubai with direct flights to Brussels or Geneva to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekUu5R6vANU

But it still doesn't come close to Etihad's Residence service on an A380 (disclaimer, they're a client ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss1XRl5dcMw

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Old 13 November 2017, 17:08
Red Headed Stepchild

I ride pretty frequently in international business class on emirates and it's bad ass. First class is a pretty significant step up even from that. Better be, for what they charge for it.
Old 13 November 2017, 19:06
Swimming Upstream

I would LOVE to be able to experience their first class. Maybe someday...but not likely. I would fly around the world and drink Champagne!
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 13 November 2017, 21:35
Shakeyville NZ

I did a weeks work in Qatar and upgraded to business for the return flight. At check in they apologised that business was booked out and upgraded me to first class, Qatar-Dubai-Bangok-Sydney-Christchurch.
It was the same plane from DXB-CHC and an individual cabin, not as luxurious as the new ones but still pretty special.
First time in my life I wanted to stay on a plane.
Old 13 November 2017, 21:38
Genetically Deplorable

I've always thought Emirates was the best at all classes. Even "coach" is awesome. Last time i flew it i had a video screen with hundreds of free movies. Compared to United Airlines and other US carriers' coach class, Emirates coach class is like 1st class! But I'm surprised Paris and Frankfurt aren't destinations.

Korean Airlines ain't too bad either!
Old 14 November 2017, 14:18
Confirmed User

Flew Emirates Air many years ago and had the same experience both ways with the then-Airbus airplane.

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880
Old 14 November 2017, 21:26
Legbreaker Extraordinaire

For a review with MORE POWER!
https://youtu.be/ibqncXGMa4E

I hope they retrofit the "old" B777-300ERs, too. I find the current business class seats to be less comfortable than the A380 Economy seats. Especially the poorly designed "armrest."
Old 15 November 2017, 10:25
Been There Done That

I flew first class on Thai once and Qatar once, both long overseas flights. Almost wish I did not have those experiences, as makes being crunched back in economy all the more unbearable now.

I agree with others , the America carriers are the worse. Flying All Nippon or Korean economy is way better than United , Delta or America economy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 15 November 2017, 10:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
I would LOVE to be able to experience their first class. Maybe someday...but not likely. I would fly around the world and drink Champagne!
You do know with your retirement pension you could easily travel and live the 5 star lifestyle at 5 star hotels around the world?

I have found out many times 5 star hotels and resorts that will run $200 - $300 a night, if you call up management and ask for a special monthly rate you can get all inclusive for a month for under $3000 . I had incredible deals much less than that for long term stays ar various Raffles hotels, Strand hotel in Yangoon, many other locations in Asia. Threw in breakfast buffets, laundry, spa treatments, 50% off dinner, etc. for example: Strand runs over $500 a night, but got for $100 a night for long term stay, and manager threw in breakfast, laundrey and two spa treatments - cause I talked to the manager and made a deal. Done this probably two dozen times at other locations as well. One Raffles I stayed at, $275 a night. But got a month for $2400 - including breakfast and 50% discount on all other meals.

There are many small botique resorts in Hoi An that will cost you less than $1000 a month to stay. For another $1000 a month for other meals, entertainment you could live like a king or queen for $2000 a month easily.

I was living there very comfortable for under $1000 a month. $300 a month for a studio at a very nice quest house, cleaned 3x a week, free bike to use. Went down the road and paid $100 to use the Diana, pool, gym , library at 5 star beach front resort. 5 minute bike ride from my guest house located in a very quiet neighborhood with beautiful gardens. The rest for entertainment, eating out every day at many nice restaurant.

The only advantage I see to living in America is firearms ownership and bring close to elderly parents. And

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"

Last edited by leopardprey; 15 November 2017 at 10:44. Reason: Restaurants, etc.
Old 15 November 2017, 19:45
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
You do know with your retirement pension you could easily travel and live the 5 star lifestyle at 5 star hotels around the world?

I have found out many times 5 star hotels and resorts that will run $200 - $300 a night, if you call up management and ask for a special monthly rate you can get all inclusive for a month for under $3000 . I had incredible deals much less than that for long term stays ar various Raffles hotels, Strand hotel in Yangoon, many other locations in Asia. Threw in breakfast buffets, laundry, spa treatments, 50% off dinner, etc. for example: Strand runs over $500 a night, but got for $100 a night for long term stay, and manager threw in breakfast, laundrey and two spa treatments - cause I talked to the manager and made a deal. Done this probably two dozen times at other locations as well. One Raffles I stayed at, $275 a night. But got a month for $2400 - including breakfast and 50% discount on all other meals.

There are many small botique resorts in Hoi An that will cost you less than $1000 a month to stay. For another $1000 a month for other meals, entertainment you could live like a king or queen for $2000 a month easily.

I was living there very comfortable for under $1000 a month. $300 a month for a studio at a very nice quest house, cleaned 3x a week, free bike to use. Went down the road and paid $100 to use the Diana, pool, gym , library at 5 star beach front resort. 5 minute bike ride from my guest house located in a very quiet neighborhood with beautiful gardens. The rest for entertainment, eating out every day at many nice restaurant.

The only advantage I see to living in America is firearms ownership and bring close to elderly parents. And
Now that is some good info!
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 15 November 2017, 19:55
Confirmed User

Wow to the above LP! Baller status!
Old 15 November 2017, 19:56
Legbreaker Extraordinaire

LP, you and I REALLY need to have a drink or ten together if you ever get back to Asia!
Old 15 November 2017, 20:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
No doubt an indulgence, but holy moley what a ride. The flight will originate from Dubai with direct flights to Brussels or Geneva to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekUu5R6vANU

But it still doesn't come close to Etihad's Residence service on an A380 (disclaimer, they're a client ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss1XRl5dcMw
17g's O'Hare to Dubai on Emirates!!
Old 15 November 2017, 20:38
Swimming Upstream

So should anyone care to give me a birthday or Christmas present...I think one of these tickets would do nicely, thanks!

Particularly the Resident on Etihad, just wow.

Last edited by Purple36; 15 November 2017 at 20:48.

Our new posting rules