Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > FAC's, JTAC's and Fire Support

Old 3 June 2011, 08:14
Confirmed User

LRF/GPS

Just doing some dev work WRT LRF/GPS integration? ATM I like the PLRF15c and civy GPS combo.

Thoughts?
Old 3 June 2011, 09:19
Been There Done That

What is your goal?
Old 3 June 2011, 09:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCOM View Post
What is your goal?
Lightweight and mobility.
Old 4 June 2011, 10:32
Been There Done That

Right now, the Vectronix you mentioned is about the best. Will you be using the SEV74 Data Cable with trigger for the PLGR/DAGR?
Old 5 June 2011, 15:14
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboy View Post
Just doing some dev work WRT LRF/GPS integration? ATM I like the PLRF15c and civy GPS combo.

Thoughts?
Tboy,

That's a great combination if all you are seeking is SA. You can't target with a civilian GPS since they are not SAASM compliant, so I'm not sure what you gain.

PLRF to micro-DAGR or PSN-13 is a better option and you can generate actionable coords.

MS
Old 5 June 2011, 16:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCOM View Post
Right now, the Vectronix you mentioned is about the best. Will you be using the SEV74 Data Cable with trigger for the PLGR/DAGR?
Satcom we currently use that cable for our 21's and DAGRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS275
That's a great combination if all you are seeking is SA. You can't target with a civilian GPS since they are not SAASM compliant, so I'm not sure what you gain. PLRF to micro-DAGR or PSN-13 is a better option and you can generate actionable coords.
I was aware that you couldn't get actionable co-ords with the civvie gps but I was also briefed that there are/where issues with the micro DAGR as well?

Last edited by tboy; 5 June 2011 at 16:36.
Old 6 June 2011, 14:35
Authorized Personnel

MS275 - Question - Are you able to use a civilian GPS if you "mensurate" the target coords using DPSS/PSS SoF etc etc? or do you have to have a SASSM chip from the get go?

I definately like the PLRF-15 over my previous LRF (MK-VII) for various reasons... Currently looking at the AN/PED-5 LTLM which looks like it brings new capabilities, but I'm having "software Interface" issues, and trying to get them to field a USB connection versus the existing RS-232.

I can't wait for NSA to sign off on SOME TYPE of blue tooth/wireless connection so I can get rid of these cables.

Hk

Sometimes you just gotta hoist the Jolly Roger and start slittin' throats!
Old 8 June 2011, 06:20
Confirmed User

The problem lies deeper than the actual anti spoofing chip. Civ GPS don't get the satellite GPS transmissions on the L2 frequency. The L2 frequency only carries the P-code and will only be read by receivers which are designed for this precision positioning code(most military gps). This is what I was informed the problem was/is with the MicroDagr has it only receives on the L1(civ) frequency?

Hotmike PM inbound
Old 8 June 2011, 07:51
On the Extract Bird

tboy,
You very well may know this already, but civilian receivers can and do pick up L1 and L2 simultaneously, they are just cost prohibitive for the average person/use, lots of engineering and surveying firms use them, in addition to DoD. You pay big for the additional accuracy.
B2

Last edited by CarbineM1; 8 June 2011 at 07:57.
Old 8 June 2011, 16:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2Unit View Post
tboy,
You very well may know this already, but civilian receivers can and do pick up L1 and L2 simultaneously, they are just cost prohibitive for the average person/use, lots of engineering and surveying firms use them, in addition to DoD. You pay big for the additional accuracy.
B2
No I was unaware of this. Cheers for the heads up
Old 7 February 2014, 10:54
Confirmed User

I bought a PLRF15c with this SORD kit used at a great deal, however it didn't come with the cable to connect it to the PDA. https://www.horusvision.com/sord.php

Does anyone know if I can use a different cable that doesn't cost $400?

Winston Churchill
Old 19 February 2014, 14:52
Authorized Personnel

Jong,

You're pretty much limited to the SEV48 Cable when it comes to connecting to a PC, because of that "proprietary" 5 Pin connection on the interface cable, and the RS232 (9 Pin) connector. I know a guy who made a 9 Pin to USB cable adapter with some success.
HK

Sometimes you just gotta hoist the Jolly Roger and start slittin' throats!

Our new posting rules