Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment

Old 8 March 2014, 12:45

Green Platoon for Warrants.

Good morning members!

I am a former Force Recon Marine and have spent the last decade doing contract work. I took a break a few years ago to go to Flight School through the National Guard (too old for Army and other services) and flew MEDEVAC helicopters in Iraq.
I still do contract work but am putting my packet together for the 160th. I would appreciate any CURRENT INFO from CURRENT or RECENT MEMBERS. Sorry about that but I am 42 years old with two decades of SOF experience and don't really need some high school kid's advice because he watched Black Hawk Down or Lone Survivor.
My question regarding Green Platoon revolves around my two herniated discs. My Doc says surgery is elective at this point as long as I can run and ruck.
I am not trying to War Game this or get someone to violate OPSEC but I would like to know whether I should get surgery prior to my packet if you guys are getting smoked every day for 6 months (log PT, long runs, rucking, etc.) or if I can put it off as I have no issues with daily PT.
Thanks to you all for your service and support. Especially the families.

Respectfully,
Ramadi Taxi Driver
Old 8 March 2014, 13:25
Preparing to defend

SHIT, man, I was 42 when I RETIRED from the 160th!

That question (whether I should get surgery prior) can only be answered by you.

I will say that the most useful training comes within the first couple of years in the battalion you're assigned to. As I went through GP during Operation "Just Because" in 89 and was already a Pilot in a SF Group flying identical Hawks, my course requirements weren't/aren't necessarily today's requirements.

On a side note, what are your flight hour quals? (NG/PC etc.) What units/type units have you been with flying?

Someone with more current experience may come along with more up to date advice. Good luck, Old Man!

P.S. In the 90's I served with a former FR guy in 3/160 named Barnhill, now long retired and one of the finest men I know.
Old 8 March 2014, 17:33
In Vino Veritas

One thing to think about is going NG to AD. Are they going to let you go AD with back issues? Enlisted guys (even those going to SMU's) have to go to MEPS and pass everything before they can go AD. You've been around the block but it is something to think about. Good luck!
Old 8 March 2014, 17:36
Been There Done That

You will not be "smoked" for any length of time during OGP.

The better question is this - do you think it is fair to the Regiment to go through all the training, only to get to your unit and wind up grounded for months after your surgery? I'm not a doctor, nor do I have any insight into your specifics, but 8+ hour long flights are not unusual and you seem to be acquainted with what that does to your body. I've routinely spent 12+ hours in the seat (not necessarily flying the entire time though).

OGP is intense. Life post-OGP is only more intense. Think about that long and hard and make the mature decision about when you think you should get the surgery.

Or don't, and let the assessment process make the determination for you.
Old 8 March 2014, 19:18
Been There Done That

I second what Max Power is stating. My recommendation is to have the surgery first, then apply for the 160th, because once you get through OGP, you will constantly be training and deploying. If you are down for a significant period of time, then you will be useless to your unit.

That being said, you should have no issues with daily PT during OGP.

There are standards that you will have to pass, APFT, 4 mile run, 8 (10?) mile roadmarch; but nothing too difficult.

OGP is about making a product, not really a selection course.
Old 8 March 2014, 19:31
Been There Done That

I watched BHD and LS so I guess I can chime in here also.

If you need the surgery get it done. If you don't need it you can roll the dice and gut it through the training process before you screw the unit over because you flew until you blew your back completely out and are now on 6+ months of convalescent leave and rehab...

None of us know how bad your back is as well as you do but if I was in a position to be at your assessment that's what I'd be thinking.

My back hurts after flying for anything longer than about 4 hours now. If I do back to back long flying days I really hurt, which is why I retired. Now I still fly but it's more manageable. The reason I bring this up is just to remind you that you're never going to magically feel better if you already have back issues. The long hours with goggles in GP will likely make it worse.
Old 8 March 2014, 22:28

Gentlemen,
Thank you all for the sound advice. You are definitely giving me the info I need to hear.
Yeah I'm not about screwing over the unit for any reason but especially not for personal gain.
To Jdog:
Man I get that all the time, lol! I was 39 when I finished flight school and everybody thought I was off my rocker for being there at my age. I have less than 400 hours but have been flying Mikes. I have only flown MEDEVAC but have had many IPs with experience in assault and attack and they try to keep the training other than just running out, cranking up and going fast in a straight line. That being said I understand that needs of the Regiment supersede my desire to fly a particular airframe.
To everyone hear I can't thank you enough for your candid and professional advice. I believe I will consider the surgery prior to putting in the packet.
Nice to meet you all and hope you don't mind me hanging around and asking questions from time to time.
Ramadi Taxi Driver
Old 8 March 2014, 22:33

Good question, thanks. I have a current Up Slip with no restrictions and the FS has seen my MRI. The TF recruiter said they are accepting packets from NG guys but didn't mention anything about additional physical. Based on your suggestion I will inquire.
Old 9 March 2014, 00:13
I am into Champagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamadiTaxiDriver 60M View Post
with two decades of SOF experience
Q: "What happened?"
A: "His helicopter was damaged by enemy fire. He was forced to land, and was so angry at being forced to walk with his back pain that he took his pistol and killed all enemy in 15km radius".

Good luck to you-

Respectfully,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.
Old 9 March 2014, 14:40
Been There Done That

If you need surgery, then get the surgery before you assess.

If you're in contact with recruiting at this time, let them know what you are doing and why. They can shelve your packet until you re-establish commo post-rehab. No harm, no foul.

To do it the other way around makes no sense for the unit, even if you are the greatest thing since perforated toilet paper...
Old 9 March 2014, 23:32

Roger that. Good call. Thanks again for everyone's knowledge.
RTD
Old 10 March 2014, 14:27
Been There Done That

RTD,

I know I'm late to the post, but indeed, get your surgery and see where you're at. I spent 12 enlisted years in the SEAL Teams and went to OGP straight out of fight school in good shape. A dozen years later (at 43) in the seat, I wake up each morning feeling like someone took a hammer to the small of my back and knees. My cup of coffee is directly followed by mandatory inversion table time. If it hurts now, it's going to hurt like hell in a few years... Mike-
Old 13 March 2014, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearmann4 View Post
RTD,

I know I'm late to the post, but indeed, get your surgery and see where you're at. I spent 12 enlisted years in the SEAL Teams and went to OGP straight out of fight school in good shape. A dozen years later (at 43) in the seat, I wake up each morning feeling like someone took a hammer to the small of my back and knees. My cup of coffee is directly followed by mandatory inversion table time. If it hurts now, it's going to hurt like hell in a few years... Mike-
Thanks former ship mate! I think that is some sound advice and I appreciate it. That is definitely the route I will be taking.
One of your former Team guys who was at 4th BN when I met him started me down this road so thanks to you guys. I credit/blame him for putting these ideas in my head. Lol!
Have a good one, thanks again!
Old 13 March 2014, 20:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
RTD,

You're old.

You should retire.

Last edited by Max Power; 13 March 2014 at 20:51. Reason: To make it even more hilarious
Old 15 March 2014, 10:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
You're old.

You should retire.
You're a shitty midget pilot and you smell of moldy cabbage...
Old 15 March 2014, 12:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamadiTaxiDriver 60M View Post
Thanks former ship mate! I think that is some sound advice and I appreciate it. That is definitely the route I will be taking.
One of your former Team guys who was at 4th BN when I met him started me down this road so thanks to you guys. I credit/blame him for putting these ideas in my head. Lol!
Have a good one, thanks again!
I'm not now, nor was I ever anyone's "Shipmate" you homo:)
Old 22 March 2014, 13:59

Quote:
I'm not now, nor was I ever anyone's "Shipmate" you homo:)
DADT! :)
Old 30 April 2014, 05:51
Been There Done That

I know this is old but been in haji land for a while. I'm a hooker. If you can't or won't help me put a 800 lb tank in. Being genourous. Because its more like 950 to 980. Then I don't need you. Yes you fly but I shoot the bad guys and save your ass. If you don't believe that then don't come.
Old 30 April 2014, 08:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by H47CREW View Post
I know this is old but been in haji land for a while. I'm a hooker. If you can't or won't help me put a 800 lb tank in. Being genourous. Because its more like 950 to 980. Then I don't need you. Yes you fly but I shoot the bad guys and save your ass. If you don't believe that then don't come.

Dial it back a bit there, hero. The man asked a question that has already been answered in the spirit in which it was posed. Piling on with the macho crap is unnecessary and, in this particular case, inappropriate.
Old 23 May 2014, 02:45
Been There Done That

Indeed. If a mod would delete my comment. It would be appreciated. My apologies.

Our new posting rules