Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > Pararescue (PJs)

Old 9 December 2014, 05:22
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
A FAC? That makes no sense. What was his name?
PM sent KJ.
Old 9 December 2014, 11:15
That Others May Live

DCH - No one in the PJ database by that name.
Old 9 December 2014, 12:51
Been There Done That

Not being in PJ database, however, does not rule out CCT or TACP or being a USMC FAC.
Old 2 February 2015, 15:26
Authorized Personnel

Do the PJs and CCTs get the SEI 914 (Special Experience Identifier), and have to maintain "Proficiency" with a certain number of High and Low threat passes per Year? Are "Sims" good for maintenance?
HK

Sometimes you just gotta hoist the Jolly Roger and start slittin' throats!
Old 2 February 2015, 18:08
Been There Done That

My info is dated, but CCT/PJ that initially were awarded their JTAC cert did not get the SEI. The cert was maintained in their JTAC Training/Eval folder and CFETP (old 623). A master database was maintained at the 720th STG. You can use "sim" calls as part of the requirement, but NOT on a one-for-one basis.

Following initial JTAC certification/requalification, a JTAC must complete a minimum of two Continuation Training (CT) controls within 90 days (utilizing live-fly aircraft or ACC/AFSOC-approved simulator) (T-3) and all semi-annual CT requirements (6 controls of actual live-fly aircraft) within 180 days from the date of the initial certification/requalification control-phase evaluation (T-0).

From AFI 13-112V15.3. Terminal Attack Control Requirements.

5.3.1. Units with an accredited simulation device may replace a maximum of 2 live-fly CT controls per 6 month period (T-3). The following live-fly controls will not be replaced by simulation: three (3) fixed-wing, two (2) Type 1, one (1) Type 2, one (1) night, one (1) expenditure of live or training ordnance and two (2) Non-permissive controls (T-0).
Old 3 February 2015, 10:51
Authorized Personnel

Thanx
HK

Old 6 February 2015, 20:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCOM View Post
My info is dated, but CCT/PJ that initially were awarded their JTAC cert did not get the SEI.
That is because the initial 914 Enlisted Terminal Attack Controller (ETAC) SIE didn't exist until the late 1980s and when it was established the only enlisted AFSCs having eligibility for it were 1C451/71/91.

Further CAS was much different before current solid state-and-digital-and-laser-and-satellite technology and the days of F-4s and down in the dirt flying (below 10,000 feet AGL).
Old 20 February 2015, 11:47
Authorized Personnel

The actual SEI was first awarded in October of 89 (Physically on paper).

I was on a Korea Tour, and 12 of us TACP types started getting the Pro Pay in our November Paycheck...

You wouldn't believe how many TSgts and MSgts were suddenly clamoring for a JFCC slot, once Uncle Sammy started paying us to do it...

Until that point in time, it was mostly the Buck Sgt Mafia TACPs that would put forth the time and effort to learn the Lords Work... I remember my BDE NCOIC telling me "Don't do their job for them - those BALOs are still pulling flight pay!"

and I remember telling him - I'd rather go to war with two Airmen, than one BALO any day.
HK

Old 20 February 2015, 13:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmike View Post
Thanks for the SEI date, I had it narrowed down to 1987 to 1989 as I do not have copies of the AFECD (it was a AFMAN back in the stone age) between 1986 and 1990.

I do know over in Europe (NATO/SOCEUR) there were a couple of ETACS as I came across two twice in the field during a joint/combined exercise and they were humping rucks, not driving vehicles. No BALO/ALO (officer type) to be seen or found within 100 miles. BTW, I seem to recall they were SSgts.
Old 20 February 2015, 14:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmike View Post
Thanks for the SEI date, I had it narrowed down to 1987 to 1989 as I do not have copies of the AFECD (it was a AFMAN back in the stone age) between 1986 and 1990.

I do know over in Europe (NATO/SOCEUR) there were a couple of ETACS as I came across two twice in the field during a joint/combined exercise and they were humping rucks, not driving vehicles. No BALO/ALO (officer type) to be seen or found within 100 miles.
Old 27 February 2015, 13:32
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by johca View Post
I do know over in Europe (NATO/SOCEUR) there were a couple of ETACS as I came across two twice in the field during a joint/combined exercise and they were humping rucks, not driving vehicles. No BALO/ALO (officer type) to be seen or found within 100 miles.
There were quite a few of us "doing it" before it was legal... first, the rule was "You gotta have an "O" standing over your shoulder "in Case"... After six months of them standing there (Bored or Impressed), the BALO/ALOs quit even riding out with us...

Some of my "Mentors" were getting away with it in the early 80's, but it was "Not to be spoken of in mixed company"...

Like the Butterfly FAC CCTs that worked Laos before the Steve Canyon Program was implemented (Ravens). But in our case, they finally admitted it didn't take a "Jet Jock" to call CAS.

RIP Charlie Jones

HK

Our new posting rules