Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > Pararescue (PJs)

Old 29 January 2015, 10:34
Amatuer TerrorAstrologist

I started watching this after it was mentioned in the Paris attack thread (Leroy Jenkins!!!!).

Great series. Thanks for doing what you do.
"I am going to permit this thread to continue under the following conditions: 1. The original poster will cease posting like he is a skateboarder. 2. The original poster will use the search engine." -magician
Old 29 January 2015, 13:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_ View Post
Does this show offer a narrow/limited view of the Pararescue mission?
Yes. I've been retired since 1996, but had several conversations with HQ AF Pararescue functional at the time as soon as the rumors hit the street of National Geographic was going to be filming a Pararescue documentary in Afganistan.

It was primarily limited to HH-60 helicopter combat rescue operations and then not all the rescues the HH-60s did while the documentary crew was there or other activities PJs were involved within Afghanistan.
Old 1 February 2015, 01:57
Calix Meus Inebrians

Just finished the last episode after spreading it out over a month. I think the producers over-dramatized the threats we saw on camera (i.e. landing on a COP) and under-emphasized the medical skills these guys have. The top rate care those guys can deliver in the back of a Pave Hawk going full speed is nothing short of awe inspiring to me.
Old 2 February 2015, 19:19
היה אישם עשה משהו

I apologize for repeating an old question, but I am still curious: what's the role of the guy who's described simply as "medical technician" on the TV show? I take it that's a support role of some sort?

Thanks. Fly safe out there.
Old 2 February 2015, 20:06
Been There Done That

It depends in which operational capacity the Med Tech is supporting and in each specific situation and circumstances I would actually need to ask myself.

The deployed Air Force combat rescue Helicopters were pressed into doing typical aeromedical evacuation missions which differs from casualty evacuation from a hot LZ.

Example being: Face of Defense: Airmen Augment Soldiers for Medevac Missions The Med tech can only fire aircraft defensive weapons and technically the ROEs are noncombatant oriented as far as use of weapons.

AF Med Techs also are unit support, sick call, packing and repacking med kits and managing medical equipment and supplies inventory. So there can be various reasons for the med tech which is not in-lieu-of utilized as a PJ or augments a PJ team on a combat mission.
Old 9 November 2015, 20:42
Confirmed User

I was browsing my TV guide tonight and it looks like there is a new episode airing tonight at 9 PM EST. The description says it is a compilation episode, so I don't know if it is footage that hasn't aired, or if NatGeo is simply trying to make some more money by re-airing footage as a new episode.

Not sure if this is a one-off, or if there is a new season starting, either.
Old 13 November 2015, 10:16
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
I was browsing my TV guide tonight and it looks like there is a new episode airing tonight at 9 PM EST. The description says it is a compilation episode, so I don't know if it is footage that hasn't aired, or if NatGeo is simply trying to make some more money by re-airing footage as a new episode.

Not sure if this is a one-off, or if there is a new season starting, either.
Did you watch it? I'm a fan, just curious if it was a mash up or un-aired footage.
I am OCONUS, so I don't have the luxury to see it myself currently.
Old 13 November 2015, 10:42
Confirmed User

I flipped back and forth - it looked like either a mashup or repeat. The three rescues (that I saw) were the FOB that got hit, the Afghan that had his leg blown off and his buddy wanted to jump in the helo and the young boy that was shot in the head.
Old 13 November 2015, 13:03
No one special

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemTech View Post
I flipped back and forth - it looked like either a mashup or repeat. The three rescues (that I saw) were the FOB that got hit, the Afghan that had his leg blown off and his buddy wanted to jump in the helo and the young boy that was shot in the head.
I watched it and did not see any new footage. I watched the entire series when it was on previously.
Old 13 November 2015, 15:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
Did you watch it? I'm a fan, just curious if it was a mash up or un-aired footage.
I am OCONUS, so I don't have the luxury to see it myself currently.
Not yet. It's sitting on my DVR.

Not surprised it is just a bunch of already-aired footage, though.

Our new posting rules