Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 12 August 2015, 10:29
Been There Done That

Clancey/WEB Griffin

If anyone is looking for some free books I have a bunch authored by Clancey and WEB Griffin.
Old 12 August 2015, 18:51
Violent Social Worker

LOVED their old stuff and probably read every one. WEB Griffin should be required reading for American boys. Shame that both of their names have been pimped out by lesser authors now.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 12 August 2015, 19:36
Confirmed User

I started reading the Brotherhood of War series when I was in the USMC. Even though it was Army stuff it was great reading. What I found over time was his stories were very formulaic. Rich kid joins up, uses own plane to fight whenever, etc. mr hey we're very entertaining though.

I did like the historical backgrounds. I learned a lot from that aspect.

I read Red October back then too. Loved it. Read it several times. Could actually see it happening.
Old 12 August 2015, 23:06
Authorized Personnel

I remember reading WEB Griffin stuff back when he went by Butterworth. He wrote a lot of books aimed a young men, including several about Vietnam; Air Evac, Orders to Vietnam, Stop and Search. I was probably 12-14 when I read them, and thought they were pretty good.

Now I want to see if they're out there on Amazon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
I started reading the Brotherhood of War series when I was in the USMC. Even though it was Army stuff it was great reading. What I found over time was his stories were very formulaic. Rich kid joins up, uses own plane to fight whenever, etc. mr hey we're very entertaining though.
He was in the Army around the end of WWII; I think the genesis of a lot of the Brotherhood of War series was based on his own memories.
Old 20 December 2015, 10:51
REMF

My old man got me into Clancy a long time ago. I agree with Massgrunt that it's a shame their work has been pimped out. IMO, "Red Storm Rising" was Clancy's best.
Old 21 December 2015, 08:59
Midgetologist

Liked Clancy found Griffin to be overrated and boring.

IIRC there was a thread here asking if he was a poser?
Old 21 December 2015, 09:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post

I did like the historical backgrounds. I learned a lot from that aspect.

I read Red October back then too. Loved it. Read it several times. Could actually see it happening.
I loved that series when I was in high school.

But if I read it now, I'd probably be like "Uh, so a bunch of Armor officers switch branches and then become fixed wing pilots, and then they all decide to become Green Berets together. Whatever."
If 10,000 snakes were coming down that aisle now, and I had a door that I could shut, and in that 10,000, 1,000 meant right, 1,000 rattlesnakes didn't want to bite me, I knew they were good... Should I let all these rattlesnakes come down, or should I just close the door and stay safe?
- Muhammad Ali #MakeAmericaGreatAgain
Old 21 December 2015, 10:38
Confirmed User

I like most of Clancy's original books. His spin-offs and co-author stuff, not so much. I did struggle through the first 100 pages or so of Debt of Honor...the finance and Wall Street stuff was a bit to get through. Red Storm Rising was just outstanding, and I still re-read it every year or so.

I like Griffin's Brotherhood of War series. I read them off and on for many years, then when I had shoulder surgery two years ago I read all of them back-to-back.
Old 21 December 2015, 13:15
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
I loved that series when I was in high school.

But if I read it now, I'd probably be like "Uh, so a bunch of Armor officers switch branches and then become fixed wing pilots, and then they all decide to become Green Berets together. Whatever."
And then give everyone CIBs...

Our new posting rules