Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 12 October 2014, 14:16
Been There Done That

Violence of Action: The Untold Story of the 75th Ranger Regiment in the War on Terror

Violence of Action: the Untold Stories

Pick up my copy last night at the release party in Denver last night. It was good to see such a large group or Rangers there to support it. It's a compilation of stories, written by Rangers, and put together by Marty Skovlund (1/75, owner of Blackside Concepts). Its hard to describe this other than a set of short stories or major events in the last 14 years or so, put in a chronological order. There are different accounts of the Jessica Lynch rescue, Hadditha dam, the jump into Obj Rhino and many other stories. Again, these are all written by other Rangers.

I've only read a few chapters as I just picked it up last night but it is well done. The stories put me right back there with some of them. It is a little difficult reading it just being reminded of the loss of friends, the atrocities we witnessed, and being brought back specific events we wish never happened. However, the rest of the world needed to know these things; the writers needed to get those stories out. I saw that Gold Star mother Scotti Domeji, mother of Kristofer Domeji (KIA Dec 2011) wrote a portion of the book. I'm both looking forward and hesitant to read her account of her loss of Kris and how she fights with that pain everyday. I do know that writing has helped her immensely and her story may help someone else going through the same pain. The stories of some of the Rangers and how they dealt with their injuries, the deployments, missing the birth of their children, etc... may help someone else.

Anyways, i'll continue reading and post when I'm done. It should be available through Amazon as of today. It's $35 but so far worth every penny.
Old 12 October 2014, 21:28
Been There Done That

Definitely gonna pick this one up...And thanks for reminding us of Kristofer Domeji, I had a memorial bracelet made with his info on it for Brad Leatherman...and then Brad passed away. His parents gave it to me at his funeral.
Old 12 October 2014, 22:28
Old and Broke

Amazon delivers my copy tomorrow (I hope).
Old 18 October 2014, 16:00
Confirmed User

Purchased the kindle version and have been reading on my laptop. Just over halfway through... all I can say is wow. The book does a very good job of addressing and correcting wrong assumptions held by many people (speaking of myself here) and highlights the courage and dedication of these warriors. I found the human aspect of the stories to be one of the best parts of the book.
Old 19 October 2014, 07:56
In Vino Veritas

Started reading it. Pretty good POV of operations from different people in the same place. Seems 3/75 heavy though...
Old 19 October 2014, 18:56
Been There Done That

Picking this up whenever Amazon gets it back in stock. Sounds good.
Old 19 October 2014, 19:57
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtexan View Post
Picking this up whenever Amazon gets it back in stock. Sounds good.
order it, Amazon has had it listed as out of stock, then sent a ship date an hour after it was ordered.
Old 19 October 2014, 20:53
Been There Done That

Marty posted yesterday that is is not out of stock. Amazon error...
Old 20 October 2014, 19:10
Been There Done That

Did the Kindle download $9.99 took about 30 seconds.
Old 17 December 2014, 11:08
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberfest View Post
Purchased the kindle version and have been reading on my laptop. Just over halfway through... all I can say is wow. The book does a very good job of addressing and correcting wrong assumptions held by many people (speaking of myself here) and highlights the courage and dedication of these warriors. I found the human aspect of the stories to be one of the best parts of the book.
I am reading the book on my Kindle Fire right now, and I love it. I am particularly impressed with the expressions of brotherhood and loyalty these men have for each other, and of the quality of the NCO leadership. Some of the stories are hilarious, and there are really heartbreaking stories too. The Haditha dam raid and the Jessica Lynch mission recountings opened my eyes.
Old 10 April 2015, 12:27
jump fiend

I think it's down to $7.99 on Kindle now. I downloaded it the other night.

I'm surrounded by a bunch of Regiment guys here and they're not fans of Marty. In the intro he also talks of not being a great Ranger. However, the idea to put together stories written by the guys w/ boots on the ground and compiling them is awesome.

I've read a lot of PR info on the Lynch rescue but never knew about the tasks accomplished by others on the team...that is incredibly sobering.

I think it's a great perspective to get snapshots from different places. Looking forward to the rest of the book.
Grief comes, but time will ease the pain.
Life ends, but death cannot erase it.
In memory, they will always remain.
Old 10 April 2015, 13:06
Violent Social Worker

It was a great read. Highly recommend it.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 10 April 2015, 13:09
Confirmed User

Good book. Reading about the evolution of the Regiment is fascinating.
Old 20 March 2016, 23:44
RIP Cass and SOTB

One of the best books I've ever read. Very informative and very awesome to see how fast and how much the Regiment evolved. Anyone who wants to read about Rangers, this book is a great start!
Old 1 July 2016, 11:11
Confirmed User

Excellent book! I got the kindle with audio book. The Rangers are formidable.
Old 1 July 2016, 12:45
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Just ordered my hardcover copy from Amazon, when you do so it thereafter lets you download the Kindle version for free, or you can start reading it direct from their site.

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."

- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."

-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".

Our new posting rules