Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 5 March 2009, 21:29
Confirmed User

Do you need rings?

I've used this method for making rings for myself, and passed it on to Irishsquid as well. It's cheap, effective, and strong (at least 300lbs). To make these, all you need is a roll of duct tape, a roll of grip/electrical tape (depending on your preference), 2 web straps or towing tie-downs to hang them from, and two rolls of 12g galvanized steel wire (usually come in rolls of 100ft). Total cost for me was about 20 dollars, and it took all of 30 minutes to make.

All you do is start wrapping the duct tape around the wire spool as tightly as you can. Make sure you have several passes over each layer so it stays tight. You'll end up with one side of the ring having a perfectly round cross-section, perfect for your ring pullups and muscleups, and the other side will have a more squared off cross-section that would work for an anchor point for your webbing. Add in a few wraps of your grip of choice, and you've got yourself a pair of rings.

Any questions, pm me.

Matt
"They tell us, sir, that we are weak--unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be in the next week, or the next year? ... Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? ... The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave."
- Patrick Henry

Last edited by Ranger5280; 6 March 2009 at 12:53.
Old 6 March 2009, 12:54
Fitness Mod

Great post, Matt.
Old 15 March 2009, 17:19
I aim to misbehave

The rings do work well; I can vouch for that. I got Matt's instructions and have been enjoying my rings for a while now. Ok...maybe not enjoying...they hurt...

While true:
Continue
Old 21 March 2009, 01:50
Fitness Mod

Making this a sticky. Saving money and being able to make your own is always cool.
Old 21 April 2009, 13:54
Scotch and Water

Question? I know that you said to PM you but I'm new here and have not the handle on that there PM thingy a ma bob, so here goes. Assuming (Yes I know that makes me a asshat) that ground elevation is 0 and the person making these rings is 5ft 8in tall, at what elevation would this person hang thier rings and where on the rings would this elavation be taken from? I should have mentioned that this was a two part question.
Old 12 September 2011, 21:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball 1959 View Post
Question? I know that you said to PM you but I'm new here and have not the handle on that there PM thingy a ma bob, so here goes. Assuming (Yes I know that makes me a asshat) that ground elevation is 0 and the person making these rings is 5ft 8in tall, at what elevation would this person hang thier rings and where on the rings would this elavation be taken from? I should have mentioned that this was a two part question.
I see this thread is quite old but FWIW....

The height you hang them at is dependent on what your working...there really isn't a set height.

Make sure you wherever you hang them there is enough room for you to be in a static support (basically the highest point you would be at in a dip) plus about 6 inches so you don't whack your melon. At this height you can do a wide variety of exercises.

Gymnasticbodies.com is a great website and the book is worth buying...wealth of information.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 12 September 2011, 21:59
I aim to misbehave

I tend to keep mine pretty "adjustable," using a tautline hitch. Yes, I was a boy scout. I keep mine close to the ground for pushups, mid height for dips, and for pullups I keep them high enough that I have to jump to grab them.

While true:
Continue
Old 18 July 2013, 04:03
Broke D***

If anyone else needs a set of rings, this site has some one sale until 10PM PST. Came out to $32 with tax and shipping for me.
http://sellout.woot.com/offers/body-...on-i-m-rings-1
Old 18 July 2013, 07:24
Voodoo guru

Nice catch!!
Definitely a great workout option. If ya'll haven't tried suspension type training, you need to. Not is the strength functional, the increase in range of motion makes it worth while.
Old 26 July 2013, 01:08
Broke D***

Rings are back on sale again until 31JUL@10PM PST. Same price. I need to pick up mine tomorrow from the post office.

http://sport.woot.com/offers/body-by...on-i-m-rings-3
Old 26 July 2013, 01:35
I aim to misbehave

I got mine in the day after I ordered them. Apparently, they shipped from a location about 10 miles from my house. I have them set up on the back porch, and have been causing myself a great deal of pain, between 'gymnastic conditioning,' and suspension training.

While true:
Continue
Old 4 January 2014, 00:15
Confirmed User

Our cmc hooked up a trx rig for cruise, so I just made some of these the other night. Very sturdy. No doubt they'll last the whole cruise. Just wanted to add my +1 and thank the op for posting. These things are no joke.
Old 2 July 2016, 04:58
#BlackRiflesMatter

Just received my set. Still trying to decide where to hang 'em.
Thinking about the garage ceiling trusses, or possibly concrete post-hole a couple 4x4's in the backyard.

https://www.amazon.com/ProSource-Fit.../dp/B0031QCS8C

Our new posting rules