Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 17 August 2015, 14:00
0311/8651

When Paul Anderson won the Gold the Russians could not figure out how they got beat? The Russians neglected one part of their bodies-LEGS.
About 1980 here in Norman Ok I loaded for a small PL meet. Walter Thomas was a guess lifter- 165#-squatted an easy 600#.i believe he is retired now. Good luck

Last edited by CAP MARINE; 17 August 2015 at 14:09. Reason: H
Old 17 August 2015, 14:08
Been There Done That

CAP Marine, that's a staggering percentage. This thread is definitely motivating.

I also realize that my body is starting to let me know that I've been getting my money's worth out of it, so I think now it's time for intelligent training plans but I've got time.

Keep this thread going. It's one of the better ones this forum has seen.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 17 August 2015, 14:19
Social Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
I guess I'm more commenting on the DL.

My bench is close to that and I'm coming off consecutive back and shoulder injuries. Right now I'm benching 265 but have maxed out at 285 before. Never was able to crack 315 before but it's on the goal marker using Wendler.

My squat is sitting at around 305 right now and I know full well why looking at my legs. Other than biking, hiking and running some sprints I've flat out neglected them. I know I can ramp those numbers up some but 445# sure seems like a fuck ton of weight.

As for the DL's though...I've been around some real beasts over the last two decades of my life and I've never seen the baseline lift expectation being 500#'s for a DL. Sure, seen plenty of really strong guys lifting 405 and up but it's pretty rare IME to see guys who are still functional lifting those numbers, as in non powerlifting types who can still run, climb a rope, jump over a wall, get in and out of cars etc.

You guys are pulling some serious weight and more than anything right now I'm trying to break into the 400's. Respect.
ML,

Regarding the DL: Are you sumo or standard? I was a standard DL guy for YEARS. Started pulling a little sumo a year back and saw a very dramatic change in my numbers. And I didn't have the lower back issues I had prior.

As for the numbers, you are correct. I have a lot of strength but I wont be setting land speed records under ruck or on a run. But I can still achieve what I need to and I can still fight, run climb etc for work. Flexibility is key.

As far as the legs....you've been in the Army a while yea? You must be the guy that they measured for all of the uniform pants I have ever worn

And as far as the numbers...I am enjoying saying that shit now, Im about to start another academy for a different agency and I don't think I will have the time or ability to lift like I have been. I will probably be combing this thread in 5 months looking to get my muscles back.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 17 August 2015, 16:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
ML,

Regarding the DL: Are you sumo or standard? I was a standard DL guy for YEARS. Started pulling a little sumo a year back and saw a very dramatic change in my numbers. And I didn't have the lower back issues I had prior.

As for the numbers, you are correct. I have a lot of strength but I wont be setting land speed records under ruck or on a run. But I can still achieve what I need to and I can still fight, run climb etc for work. Flexibility is key.

As far as the legs....you've been in the Army a while yea? You must be the guy that they measured for all of the uniform pants I have ever worn

And as far as the numbers...I am enjoying saying that shit now, Im about to start another academy for a different agency and I don't think I will have the time or ability to lift like I have been. I will probably be combing this thread in 5 months looking to get my muscles back.
I'm using a standard lift. I was wondering about the sumo vs standard lift given some of those numbers as well. Maybe that'll be something worth exploring in the coming weeks when I finish up this strength cycle.

Been out of the Army for a while but still around many of my former compadres. Until last year I was oconus most of the time for work, now I'm spending most of my time conus with some travel abroad here and there.

So in short...I'm not to blame for the uniform pants, haha.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 17 August 2015, 16:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
CAP Marine, that's a staggering percentage. This thread is definitely motivating.

I also realize that my body is starting to let me know that I've been getting my money's worth out of it, so I think now it's time for intelligent training plans but I've got time.

Keep this thread going. It's one of the better ones this forum has seen.
ML, Cap, I started lifting late in life (51) and ultimately got to a 940 gym total at 210 (220, technically.) Weak sauce, I know, but like I said, I started late. I've come to the conclusion that chasing pure strength-- a PL total--isn't what I need to be doing--maybe 30 years ago. That said, I truly enjoy lifting, especially squatting, and hope to get a 405 at 198 in the next few months. I've hit 340x3 and 360x1 (which was prolly high.) We shall see---a 2xbw squat would be pretty cool at 54-55 for a noob.
Old 17 August 2015, 16:28
Administrator

Quote:
I'm using a standard lift. I was wondering about the sumo vs standard lift given some of those numbers as well. Maybe that'll be something worth exploring in the coming weeks when I finish up this strength cycle.

Been out of the Army for a while but still around many of my former compadres. Until last year I was oconus most of the time for work, now I'm spending most of my time conus with some travel abroad here and there.

So in short...I'm not to blame for the uniform pants, haha.
I'm not a big advocate of the standard DL as an exercise per se. Deficient DL, and others are more bang for the buck IMO.

I also don't advocate low volume low rep workouts.. Check out Paul Carter's stuff.

Most people have crap work capacity and that just plays into it. I laugh every time I see someone talk about overtraining as if it's actually common.
Old 17 August 2015, 16:41
0311/8651

A few stiff legged DLs? for a change:)
I'm one of those that can't get up and down so it's the leg press/hack squat, leg curls and calves. Throw in my stationary bike,kickboxing

Last edited by CAP MARINE; 17 August 2015 at 16:44. Reason: G
Old 18 September 2015, 04:40

My PR's were all at 193lbs. However, my best bench was at 205.

At 193lbs I was hitting
Squat-515
Deadlift-535
Bench-335

I had some pretty serious injuries last year(not lifting related), that resulted in me struggling to get back in the gym. My squat hasn't happened yet. But I get back into the low 500's-high 400's on my deadlift, and hit a 370 bench. I guess not training my squat gave me plenty of bench time.

Anyway, I have a conventional stance DL, quite narrow actually. Most people decide between sumo or conventional based on their body type. Plenty of articles on tnation and elitefts about how to pick.

I would pull 2 times a week and squat 2 times a week. Rack pulls and defecit dead lifts work wonders. For squatting, I just kept squatting. Doubles, triples and singles every session.
Old 18 September 2015, 08:39
These ain't my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
I'm not a big advocate of the standard DL as an exercise per se. Deficient DL, and others are more bang for the buck IMO.

I also don't advocate low volume low rep workouts.. Check out Paul Carter's stuff.

Most people have crap work capacity and that just plays into it. I laugh every time I see someone talk about overtraining as if it's actually common.

100% agree.

Big fan of Carter's approach to training. I've utilized a lot of his programming for meet prep in the past and training in general. His use of Every Day Maxes and over warm ups can really provide some longevity to training while still allowing you to push your strength and volume levels.

Using his philosophies, as well as a few others, I was recently able to work up and pull 425@174 from a 2" deficit. Considering my DL has never been impressive, I've been happy with the direction things are moving.

“It is who we are; It is what we do; And we're okay with that.”- LE Funeral Closing Remark
Old 7 October 2016, 13:37
Confirmed User

Gonna bring this thread back to life. Started my first actual powerlifting cycle this week, doing the dreaded smolov. Before I was doing SOFLETE/SOFWOD stuff, moved on to Atomic Athlete, and liked lifting heavy shit so much I decided to go full homo and do the powerlifting thing. Besides, who needs cardio or any of that shit. Im over it and ready to get fat as hell.

As far as the actual program goes, I'm on day three and my lower body is already quite sore but my speed under the bar is already improving. Time will tell.
Old 8 October 2016, 07:00
Social Claymore

I'm a big fan of Cube method by Brandon Lilly. Pretty damn close to the Westside method but doesn't require you to have 4000 types of bars to squat with. It's what I used on my last deployment.

Was going to compete in Novemeber but serious training had to take a backseat work.

Numbers righ now
500lbsx3 on deadlift (sumo)
475 X 2 on squat
315 X 2 on bench
@ 200lbs body weight

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 8 October 2016, 07:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
I'm a big fan of Cube method by Brandon Lilly. Pretty damn close to the Westside method but doesn't require you to have 4000 types of bars to squat with. It's what I used on my last deployment.

Was going to compete in Novemeber but serious training had to take a backseat work.

Numbers righ now
500lbsx3 on deadlift (sumo)
475 X 2 on squat
315 X 2 on bench
@ 200lbs body weight
Yeah I've heard differing opinions on Lilly's method, but I know one of my squad mates is good friends with the guy and trains with him so I'll have to ask him about it and maybe he can make me a convert. I don't really desire to do a program that includes a shitload of accessory work, so far I like that smolov just has me squatting. A bunch. And heavy. In fact yesterday I actually had to bail out from under the bar at 90% of my 1rm lol. Never had to bail on a squat before. But this was day three of heavy squats and my body hadn't been that sore and there was just nothing left in the tank.
Your numbers are really good for 200lbs, I mean damn I outweigh you by twenty pounds and you're stronger than me lol
Currently:
2RM squat: 505lbs
2RM bench: 325lbs
1RM dead: 515lbs

My deadlift sucks, but I'll figure it out somehow.

Our new posting rules