Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 21 August 2009, 15:56
Violent Social Worker

I'm enjoying this book, but there is some odd stuff in it. The atrocities in Vietnam crap jumped out at me as well as the total bullshit about Gracie jiu-jitsu and "grappling".
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 23 August 2009, 23:59
Authorized Personnel

Read it yesterday. I agree with the comments here, when he was quoting the ODA's/telling their story, it was good, when he was doing background it was not so good. I also think he rushed to failure trying to get it published quickly.

That being said, I'll still keep the book for the library at home.
Old 5 May 2010, 14:15

Sorry for the necro-post, but I just recently listened to Horse Soldiers on disc as I made an 800 mile drive.

Did anyone else think the author went well out of his way to be especially kind and forgiving to John Walker "Suleiman Rashid" Lindh? Repeated mentions of how Lindh hadn't come to Afghanistan to engage in terrorism, but to fight terrorism. How he was cold and wet and scared in the Qala-i-Jangi, and that he was nowhere near Mike Spann when he went down. The repeated soft-soaping became irritating and soured me on what was otherwise an outstanding account.

I noticed a little of the same excuse-making in Sides' "Ghost Soldiers" when the author made excuses for the savagery and inhumanity of the Japanese toward POWs.
Old 23 June 2010, 13:24
Confirmed User

Read it on a recent flight--picked it up because I had read his book on the Indianapolis years ago (which was excellent). Good read--though I would have to agree on other's reactions to some of the references to history and his repeated empathetic focus on Lindh (I find it hard to believe that Lindh was that ignorant of what he was walking into).

It did leave me wondering if Special Forces has included a class in "horsemanship" -- who would have thought
Old 23 June 2010, 17:47
Confirmed User

I had a friend that was on 595, and he was killed in Ramadi, Iraq later in the war. I have seen pictures of Bill Bennett on his horse at the ODA's team room, back when CSM Walker was the CSM. I will miss Bill, and I hope to read this book soon. He and his team's actions during this part of the GWOT deserved to be told.

Later if you remember when Saddam was rolled up, the medic sticking the tongue depressor into his raunchy mouth was Bill. I think I saw him on CNN with Lindh too, but not sure.
Old 11 March 2011, 08:46

I read the book early this month.

Good read.

It's interesting to look at the tactics of fighting then and now.
The enemy was fairly mechanized, and the US went G . Now things are nearly swithed.

Even though I am not a fan of Rumsfield, he got it right with sending SF into the new campaign in late 2001 and not going with Tommy Franks' call. That was probably the best GWOT call the President ever made.

I have a lot of respect for the men who made it happend. I also respect the Northern Alliance who made it happen.

____

I agree about the remarks in Vietnam. Granted, I am not an historian.

____

I wonder where all the Nortern Alliance went to. I guess they are in Kabal as politicians.

___

This book is great for those interested in OEF.
Old 11 March 2011, 10:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
Did anyone else think the author went well out of his way to be especially kind and forgiving to John Walker "Suleiman Rashid" Lindh? Repeated mentions of how Lindh hadn't come to Afghanistan to engage in terrorism, but to fight terrorism. How he was cold and wet and scared in the Qala-i-Jangi, and that he was nowhere near Mike Spann when he went down. The repeated soft-soaping became irritating and soured me on what was otherwise an outstanding account.
The author lives in the same town where I spent a bit of time recently. Regularly drinks coffee and reads the paper on Sunday mornings in the small downtown area. Almost all of the locals that I've asked about him say that he is politically part of the Michael Moore crowd and often speaks with him so the above wouldn't surprise me.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 3 November 2016, 11:36

This is being made into a movie soon starring Chris Hemsworth. Looks like it set to film this winter at White Sands Missile Range.

Our new posting rules