Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 14 November 2016, 17:18

Required gear

Required gear?
I'm getting ready to be wheels up shortly to Afghanistan. First contract. Was wondering if anybody with some experience out there could give me some advice on what things I want to bring with me. Personal items. Etc.... thank you in advance.
Old 14 November 2016, 17:44
Red Headed Stepchild

Where?
Old 14 November 2016, 17:48
In Vino Veritas

And for who? Seems like this would be a better question for your recruiter.
Old 14 November 2016, 18:32
Genetically Deplorable

Are you looking for ideas above/beyond the lists your recruiter has given you? I recommend toe warmers. Weather in Kabul is not much different than Iraq, and damn those things came in handy!
Old 15 November 2016, 00:01
Been There Done That

twin size electric blanket

blank terabyte or two HD

Good cold weather socks
Old 15 November 2016, 00:53
Authorized Personnel

Sams or Costco industrial size box of baby wipes, & GOOD coffee....
Old 15 November 2016, 02:17
RIP Cass and SOTB

Good pair of hiking/trail boots. Good cold weather gear. Extra set of Sunglasses, prederrably ballistic. Fleece glove liners. Hand/toe warmers. Books you can read more than once. An extra woobie. Easy to make food and snacks. Gaming console or decent computer for entertainment.
Old 15 November 2016, 02:17
Red Headed Stepchild

Baby wipes and Amazon Prime :)
Old 15 November 2016, 04:13
Orbi tertio spumae

An extension cord with a multi-plug wotsit on the end to connect all your chargers n stuff to that wall socket over on the other side of the room. And another multi-plug wotsit for in the event that somebody else got to the wall socket before you. I go nowhere without my comprehensive electrical department, including all the different plug adapters etc. I can suck up any kind of inconvenience but not plugging in is morale breaker.

Last edited by Soutpiel; 15 November 2016 at 04:20.
Old 18 November 2016, 17:32

I'm not as experienced as other guys in here but I learned quick here's my list. I basically can live 3 days out of my bag but it will keep you covered for a 15-16 hour day.

1. Voodoo tactical mini mojo bag (very good quality bag but any good duffle bag)
2. Molle red first aid pouch with first aid shit, gauze, Tylenol, Amoxycillin, Israeli bandage and QuikKlot, samsplint
3. Gatorade packets, instant coffee, Mio, with shaker cup
4. ISO bag lunch prepper from amazon with plastic meal prep containers BEST INVESTMENT keep your meals cold 12+ hours and holds 3 meals for a full day, plus snack in top.
5. BABY WIPES, rolled up microfiber blanket from the PX, extra socks, foot powder, extra flashlight with batteries kept separate so they don't die, notepad and pens, balaclava and beanie,
6. 12" MacBook inside pelican case, fits perfectly in bottom of bag very small and compact, big SD card with movies
7. Rest of the pockets are misc items I'm forgetting, lighter, snacks, Hot Hands, harmonica, hand sanitizer
8. All of it fits in the mini mojo for your work day. The bag is a little large but I keep a small French press and fresh ground coffee in it as well. Make coffee for ya boys when you're in a shack in the middle of nowhere haha.
9. I'm focusing on shit you need at work more than at your crib. I bought two pelican air 1615 cases and every item I brought on contract fits in those two. Don't bring too much shit you might lose your job and have to leave quick.
Old 18 November 2016, 17:58
Über Equus Asinus

contract, company, and location dependent..

some companies/contracts will provide you all the Gucci gear you could want.. others will give you stuff that is barely serviceable..

some contracts will prohibit you from wearing/using anything on duty other than what you are issued.. others will let you wear/use just about anything you desire..

Some have good housing and facilities, access to good food, access to reasonable MWR.. some have next to nothing..

I would definitely think about what would keep you entertained and comfortable during your down time.. those things are mostly going to be unique to you...
Old 18 November 2016, 18:19
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
contract, company, and location dependent..

some companies/contracts will provide you all the Gucci gear you could want.. others will give you stuff that is barely serviceable..

some contracts will prohibit you from wearing/using anything on duty other than what you are issued.. others will let you wear/use just about anything you desire..

Some have good housing and facilities, access to good food, access to reasonable MWR.. some have next to nothing..

I would definitely think about what would keep you entertained and comfortable during your down time.. those things are mostly going to be unique to you...
And that's the straight scoop. There isn't really a thing I could want for where I'm at. I mail myself protein powder and that's about it. The food is great, gym facilities great, living conditions, great. The only thing I needed was a router so I'd have wireless in my room and a mobil wifi (haji shop). Other than that I'm just toting extra crap.
Old 18 November 2016, 22:13
NKDA

Don't forget to bring Ibuprophen and those instant/disposable ice packs for when you hurt yourself in the gym and have to go out on DBA. I mean, it IS a long plane ride.
Old 18 November 2016, 23:59
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Pos View Post
Don't forget to bring Ibuprophen and those instant/disposable ice packs for when you hurt yourself in the gym and have to go out on DBA. I mean, it IS a long plane ride.
Fucking GOLD right there brother!!
Old 19 November 2016, 22:26

Thank you for everybody that chimed in. Lot of great ideas, thanks guys.
Old 19 November 2016, 23:05
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Pos View Post
Damn

Our new posting rules