Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > FAC's, JTAC's and Fire Support

Old 18 September 2016, 18:53
Confirmed User

Navy Officer JTAC?

Gents,

My familiarity with the JTAC/FAC community is limited to a Marine Corps infantry Bn, so forgive my ignorance with how our sister services do business.

Does the Navy employ pilots as JTAC's, similar to a USMC FAC? If so, would these naval officers find themselves on the ground providing CAS to GCE or SOF units (NSW for example), or would those slots be filled with SEAL JTAC's or guys from the AF SOF/ANGLICO/other joint communities?

In advance, I appreciate your time/knowledge.
Old 19 September 2016, 19:52
In From The East

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuD View Post
Gents,

My familiarity with the JTAC/FAC community is limited to a Marine Corps infantry Bn, so forgive my ignorance with how our sister services do business.

Does the Navy employ pilots as JTAC's, similar to a USMC FAC? If so, would these naval officers find themselves on the ground providing CAS to GCE or SOF units (NSW for example), or would those slots be filled with SEAL JTAC's or guys from the AF SOF/ANGLICO/other joint communities?

In advance, I appreciate your time/knowledge.
Check your PM.
Old 20 September 2016, 12:43
Administrator

What's the "J " in JTAC stand for again?
Old 20 September 2016, 17:44
Confirmed User

PM inbound
Old 21 September 2016, 01:42
Marine

Not on a routine basis that I know of personally. I've known a few that were filling the NGLO billet at an ANGLICO. A buddy of mine was an SH-60 driver, went to the schoolhouse at NSAWC, and subsequently led a FCT in Iraq. Also know a reserve SWO who is not only JTAC qual'd but also a WTI. He actually did an 18-month eval for me about 3 years ago. Anyway, if it does happen it is not very commonplace like the USMC FAC program.
"This is how it is when the war machine rolls back and forth. You take your pleasure where you can and when you can, and let the circumstances be damned. For tomorrow you may be somewhere else." - Cass

"I understand all of the words you used, but I don't know what you just said." - Gen. Hagee speaking to the MEU S-3
Old 11 December 2016, 14:24
The Copenhagen Kid

I've seen it several times. As a long time JTAC myself, I've been to all the schools and have seen several. I was in a bad place once with one by my side. He wreaked havoc on the enemy. I'll also add that Naval Aviators who are FAC-A's and have some sense on their feet are a great asset to have on the ground.

Go get your motherfuckin' shine box.

Our new posting rules