Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 9 December 2016, 15:03
Shakeyville NZ

When I was at Welbeck College in '79 I contracted a lung infection. I originally weighed 16 st and played in the 1st XV, I rapidly lost 2 st and spent 4 weeks in the infirmary before and at the start of the Summer Hols. The Matron, tough bird, Scottish, asked me when I left if I would drink beer during the remainder of the vacation, on answering yes she told me to switch to Guiness and keep up my normal training regime. I came back to college weighing the requisite weight and a new penchant. I was 17 at the time.
Old 9 December 2016, 15:35
Been There Done That

Guiness for Strength, but not for a 17 y/o in the States...

'tis unfortunate
Old 9 December 2016, 17:22
Confirmed User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Guiness for Strength, but not for a 17 y/o in the States...

'tis unfortunate
In Washington State you're good to go as long as you're with your parent/guardian. This doesn't apply to licensed establishments. I wonder if guys at Ft. Lewis will be getting new "guardians".

So I have extra rooms, workout facilities, a range, etc if you want to explore the "Guinness Option".

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=66.44.270

Last edited by 34RX; 9 December 2016 at 17:27. Reason: Add link
Old 12 December 2016, 10:57
Confirmed User

Creatine is usually good for 5-10lbs for most people. Super cheap (about $10-15 for a tub that'll last for months) and doesn't depend on his working out. I'd try it out now though as it can be hard on the stomach for some people and not everyone responds to it.
Old 12 December 2016, 11:15
Confirmed User

Being a little under weight is a blessing in that all the weight and strength he gains will be earned. I wouldn't be so hung up on his body weight as much as his ability to perform military work. He should have an easier time with pull ups and running but push ups might be challenging for him. To that end, I'd encourage him to do bodyweight exercises exercises for a month then transition to weight bearing exercises (just the basics). Keep his running to a low roar....3-4 miles but increase his cardio through circuit training and sprinting. His appetite will naturally increase as his effort increases. I would shy away from supplementation until you know he is in a good program and committed to it. Gaining 16 pounds between now and graduation will obviously be challenging but doable. For motivation...he is aware many females prefer guys in good shape??? The whole Dad body thing was just a fad.
Old 12 December 2016, 12:00
Calculating Infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
The whole Dad body thing was just a fad.
Awww... say it ain't so
Old 12 December 2016, 16:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulwar View Post
Creatine is usually good for 5-10lbs for most people. Super cheap (about $10-15 for a tub that'll last for months) and doesn't depend on his working out. I'd try it out now though as it can be hard on the stomach for some people and not everyone responds to it.
That was my thought. And gomad (gallon of milk a day). If he can eat 2-3 pb&j sandwiches a day, each folllwed by a glass of milk, he'll gain weight. That's in addition to whatever else he eats, not instead of.
Old 6 May 2017, 01:47
#BlackRiflesMatter

Peanut butter with yogurt on whole grain bread.
Rice, more rice. (brown rice if possible) with real butter. Beans&Rice.
Nuts, mass quantity. (brazil, almonds, pecans, or whatever he likes). Trailmix.
Nachos with mozzarella + Guacamole. Or just an avacado, if he likes them plain like I do.
Whole milk, lots of water, watermelon.

Stair-work, with weighted hands, and +2 quart+ water pack for weight and hydration. Slow, 2 stairs@time. not ran. anaerobic. Headphone music of his choice. Lead by example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BiC3OUNFqE

Enough sleep to recover (I know). LOL!

Last edited by Tycon; 6 May 2017 at 02:14.
Old 6 May 2017, 06:54
Been There Done That

This is the stupidest fucking thing, one symptom that .mil is fucked in many ways.

Our country is dying of obesity and we accept waif weight females into combat roles...but a fit young man is too skinny...fucking dumb.
Old 6 June 2017, 08:29
Authorized Personnel

Have him turn 40. Worked for me.

Our new posting rules