Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 11 April 2014, 15:47
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger5280 View Post
Interesting, TFG. Are you testing after the workouts?
No, just in general, I started using them a few weeks ago, my lumosity workouts have been spotty. Just in general, as I have intensified my workouts, my recent Lumosity has gotten much better. Time will tell.
Old 11 April 2014, 19:16
Fitness Mod

There's a guy from Oregon State University (Dr. Trost) that linked as few as 15 minutes of exercise to improved concentration and memory. Those were his findings from his study back in 2007. I've always noticed a sharper focus after working out and can see how it could translate to Lumosity performance. Just had not thought about it until your post.
Old 17 April 2014, 23:10
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger5280 View Post
There's a guy from Oregon State University (Dr. Trost) that linked as few as 15 minutes of exercise to improved concentration and memory. Those were his findings from his study back in 2007. I've always noticed a sharper focus after working out and can see how it could translate to Lumosity performance. Just had not thought about it until your post.
I only slept a few hours last night as my crew left around 0300 for a horse show.

My lumosity was for shit and I was on my second day of rest. I will see how I do tomorrow AM. They even say on the site that even moderate PT helps your dome.
Old 21 April 2014, 08:32
The Sagacious One

No workout over the weekend (Spring cleaning) Lumosity score (BPI) dropped 9 points. I am going to every other day workouts this week, we will see if there is an impact.
Old 22 April 2014, 08:27
The Sagacious One

OK, if I am going to make science out of this, I will need to make a chart. I hit the KB's yesterday (But not the range) and felt really good despite a minor lack in sleep. Lumosity score up 6 points. Kettle bell workout kicked my ass yesterday. I am moving up to a 55lb KB the end of this week (Maybe).
Old 28 April 2014, 09:20
The Sagacious One

I am a pussy and still using the 45 lbers but I worked out hard yesterday and Lumosity BPI went up to 1149.
Old 30 April 2014, 19:38
Fitness Mod

That seems like a good increase. Were you around 1113 before that?
Old 13 May 2014, 09:41
The Sagacious One

Interesting events.....

I took a shooting class on 3-4 May, did a lot of sprinting etc, BPI went up to 1151. The sharp turns just blew my knees out and I was off until last Friday. Of course the BPI dropped 1140. Worked out Friday and Sunday, its back up to 1147.

I am moving up to the 55 lb KB today, we will see what tomorrow brings.
Old 20 May 2014, 12:16
Bland user

My Lumosity bpi sucks at 793. I'm somwhat dislexic and the left right button pushing is a bit of a problem. On the positive side I'm much more ambedexrous than most people.
Overall I think it's helping my brain perform better. I'm trying to stick with it.
Old 9 June 2014, 16:26
Problem Solver

I've been "training" daily on the free site for the past several months. Has anyone else noticed that "BPI" has been recently re-designated "LPI"?

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 9 June 2014, 17:10
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I've been "training" daily on the free site for the past several months. Has anyone else noticed that "BPI" has been recently re-designated "LPI"?
I train on the pay site and this AM mine was BPI.
Old 9 June 2014, 17:34
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post

I train on the pay site and this AM mine was BPI.
That's interesting; I don't know why there are two different systems but I found this on the Web:

Posted: April 28th, 2014 | Author: Carl Furrow

We at Lumosity love to improve. Personal and professional development are as important as the product we build each and every day. With that expectation for improvement comes radical new paradigm shifts on core systems. This time it was on our Brain Performance Index (BPI) system. BPI is a scale that allows users to see how well they are doing in the five core cognitive areas Lumosity is designed to help train. Every game on Lumosity falls into one of those cognitive areas and each game ends with a score. That score is then used to calculate a BPI for that game, which is then fed into that game’s area BPI, which then feeds into the user’s overall BPI.

Late last year our science team began devising a new system for calculating BPI that was more responsive to each game play a user completed and could scale out to more games across our multiple platforms (web, iOS and soon Android). This new system was named the “Lumosity Performance Index” (LPI) and with it would come a new set of calculators that could transform a game play’s score to an LPI and also update a variety of other stats for that user, including the game’s area LPI and the user’s overall LPI.

Once the new system and calculators were built, we needed to build a way to migrate or backpopulate existing game plays’ scores to LPI. At the time of this writing, we have over 60 million registered users who have played more than 1.6 billion games, and it’s growing quickly each day.

http://engineering.lumosity.com/

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 15 June 2014, 23:19
The Sagacious One

Icon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
That's interesting; I don't know why there are two different systems but I found this on the Web:

Posted: April 28th, 2014 | Author: Carl Furrow

We at Lumosity love to improve. Personal and professional development are as important as the product we build each and every day. With that expectation for improvement comes radical new paradigm shifts on core systems. This time it was on our Brain Performance Index (BPI) system. BPI is a scale that allows users to see how well they are doing in the five core cognitive areas Lumosity is designed to help train. Every game on Lumosity falls into one of those cognitive areas and each game ends with a score. That score is then used to calculate a BPI for that game, which is then fed into that game’s area BPI, which then feeds into the user’s overall BPI.

Late last year our science team began devising a new system for calculating BPI that was more responsive to each game play a user completed and could scale out to more games across our multiple platforms (web, iOS and soon Android). This new system was named the “Lumosity Performance Index” (LPI) and with it would come a new set of calculators that could transform a game play’s score to an LPI and also update a variety of other stats for that user, including the game’s area LPI and the user’s overall LPI.

Once the new system and calculators were built, we needed to build a way to migrate or backpopulate existing game plays’ scores to LPI. At the time of this writing, we have over 60 million registered users who have played more than 1.6 billion games, and it’s growing quickly each day.

http://engineering.lumosity.com/
Played this am, still BPI.
Old 21 July 2014, 09:08
The Sagacious One

OK, so my scores are sinking....

Then they change to this LPI and my percentiles really changed from the high 90's to the 70's and 80's.

What the Fuck?
Old 21 July 2014, 09:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
OK, so my scores are sinking....

Then they change to this LPI and my percentiles really changed from the high 90's to the 70's and 80's.

What the Fuck?
Their way of gently telling you that you're getting old(er) & (more) senile? Just a guess....
Old 29 October 2014, 08:44
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Their way of gently telling you that you're getting old(er) & (more) senile? Just a guess....
I have been a little sluggish mentally, so I went back to the lumosity. Not bad for a few months off.

I think the new LPI adjusts the curve more to provide more room for improvement.

Yea, thats it.
Old 3 November 2014, 08:15
The Sagacious One

Soooooo I have been playing again and my LPI is consistently dropping. I don't like this new lumosity scoring.
Old 22 December 2016, 08:54
The Sagacious One

I have been sluggish mentally, too much time in the office, so I started this again. Its id fun and gets me motivated for the day. I am trying not to labor over previous scores, but concentrate on improvement. So far, a steady rate of improvement.

Our new posting rules